Bike security - what do you use? Locks?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mjr

Re: Bike security - what do you use? Locks?

Post by mjr »

AMMoffat wrote:It looks like the person locking that bike (or should I say wheel :lol: ) was really stupid but you tell me how a U lock can be used to lock the frame (or anything other than a wheel) to that bike stand.

There is another inverted U sticking up from the left side of the channel further back (not shown in that picture) for securing the rear triangle and rear wheel. It's still not a great design for loads of reasons (including that the rear locking point often collides with centre and prop stands), but it does allow the frame to be secured. I think it's a pretty widespread design used by Thameslink/Southern/Great Northern and Greater Anglia. See the picture below for the same design at another station - if you zoom in, you can just about see the rear locking point on the bike to the right and a D lock used on the bike to the left.

If you've got only one lock, then you should lock the frame far enough back that the bike cannot be moved backwards enough to liberate the front wheel - or simply use the Sheffield stands around the corner!
Attachments
Station cycle parking
Station cycle parking
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Okay, I stand corrected :) . Maybe the designers of bike racks are learning. I've not seen the version of that style with the additional locking loop but have given up on plenty of similar ones without it and resorted to the nearest lamp post.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

mjr wrote:
If you've got only one lock, then you should lock the frame far enough back that the bike cannot be moved backwards enough to liberate the front wheel - or simply use the Sheffield stands around the corner!

Unless you're at a Greater Anglia station where the Sheffield stands are bolted down with regular bolts. Caution, geniuses at work. :!:

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... e-15783448
Last edited by alexnharvey on 5 Apr 2019, 10:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

alexnharvey wrote:
mjr wrote:
AMMoffat wrote:

Unless you're at a Greater Anglia station where the Sheffield stands are bolted down with regular bolts. Caution, geniuses at work. :!:

Or my local Waitrose where the stands are made of heavy duty scaffolding each section held together with joints fixed by allen key/hex grub screws. Has been pointed out to them but they just ignore it.

Just as they ignore the drain grates/gully Image things that are installed with the slots in the same direction of travel i.e. you ride in the same direction as the slots which are wide enough ...

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Groan. I've shared that bolted Sheffield stand to where some Greater Anglia Cycle Forum members should see it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Psamathe wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:
mjr wrote:

Or my local Waitrose where the stands are made of heavy duty scaffolding each section held together with joints fixed by allen key/hex grub screws. Has been pointed out to them but they just ignore it.

Just as they ignore the drain grates/gully Image things that are installed with the slots in the same direction of travel i.e. you ride in the same direction as the slots which are wide enough ...

Ian

In the face of such inaction it must be very tempting to dismantle them. Similarly, it would be very pleasing to unbolt all the Sheffield stands at Cambridge North and pile them up.
mjr

Post by mjr »

alexnharvey wrote:In the face of such inaction it must be very tempting to dismantle them. Similarly, it would be very pleasing to unbolt all the Sheffield stands at Cambridge North and pile them up.

Apparently you can't any more because GA reacted after that article in February and installed "tamper-proof fixtures" https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/cycle-security
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Very glad to hear they have sorted it.
binky62

Post by binky62 »

I've been using the Pinhead saddle lock on my Tokyobike. However, the seat post slides down and I can't work out why or how to stop it. It's so annoying!! It makes it uncomfortable to ride...
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-18 at 11.50.28 AM.jpeg