Big Agnes bike pack copper spur?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
MrsHJ

Big Agnes bike pack copper spur?

Post by MrsHJ »

https://www.rei.com/c/backpacking-tents ... origin=web

But of unexpected news re closed B&Bs on the C&O path means I’m going to pick up a tent from REI in Washington DC (I would probably have gone to ultralight UK but they don’t have the tent in stock that I’m looking at). Looking at the prices of B&Bs I will need to do a few nights to recover my money- but not many! My previous plan was to pick a tent up further along ready for the KATY trail.

I’m wondering whether anyone has seen or tried the bikepack version of the copper spur and whether the features make any difference. I suspect not. Main plan for me is very light as I won’t be doing much camping and don’t want a full camping set up (no cooking etc). Don’t fancy a bivvy. Ps I’m an REI member and there’s a discount if 20% this weekend so I’ll order to pick up next Sunday/Monday when I’m there.
pjclinch

Re: Big Agnes bike pack copper spur?

Post by pjclinch »

MrsHJ wrote:I’m wondering whether anyone has seen or tried the bikepack version of the copper spur and whether the features make any difference. I suspect not. Main plan for me is very light as I won’t be doing much camping and don’t want a full camping set up (no cooking etc). Don’t fancy a bivvy. Ps I’m an REI member and there’s a discount if 20% this weekend so I’ll order to pick up next Sunday/Monday when I’m there.

All I've seen of it is in the online docs, but from the look of it the bike-specific features are related to pole-lengths more optimised for packing on a bike using bike-packing bags and a helmet holder on the inner. Neither would make any difference to me as I don't use bike-packing bags or a helmet for touring, but obviously mileage will vary.

If at all possible I would select by having the good folk at REI pitch examples for you to crawl around in.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

If going to REi in the states, just be aware you'll have to pay import duty on it. It happened to me when I bought a bargain tent. Unless of course you know someone in the states who might send you one as a present...
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Thehairs1970 wrote:If going to REi in the states, just be aware you'll have to pay import duty on it. It happened to me when I bought a bargain tent. Unless of course you know someone in the states who might send you one as a present...

I haven’t in the past (not deliberately- just didn’t occur to me that I’d have to declare anything on the way home when I’d trashed some of my equipment over in Colorado and had to replace it). I guess I’m principle anything bought and used in the USA should be declared in the way back in- do most people bother?

Ps REI in Denver is a great place to spend some time (and money!)

Edit- I’ve checked and it should be within the limit which is £390. https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arri ... ide-the-eu
Last edited by MrsHJ on 5 Apr 2019, 6:18pm, edited 3 times in total.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

pjclinch wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:I’m wondering whether anyone has seen or tried the bikepack version of the copper spur and whether the features make any difference. I suspect not. Main plan for me is very light as I won’t be doing much camping and don’t want a full camping set up (no cooking etc). Don’t fancy a bivvy. Ps I’m an REI member and there’s a discount if 20% this weekend so I’ll order to pick up next Sunday/Monday when I’m there.

All I've seen of it is in the online docs, but from the look of it the bike-specific features are related to pole-lengths more optimised for packing on a bike using bike-packing bags and a helmet holder on the inner. Neither would make any difference to me as I don't use bike-packing bags or a helmet for touring, but obviously mileage will vary.

If at all possible I would select by having the good folk at REI pitch examples for you to crawl around in.

Pete.

I could see zero use for helmet storage even if you had one but maybe that’s just me. Seemed to be a marketing gimmick. The shorter poles have some appeal.

It’s order only but I guess I can reject it and choose something in store if I don’t like it. I’m not a massive fan of that frame- it’s similar to my hubba hubba and I find those short poles at the top to give the height and width a bit odd.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Not sure if you might be interested . But we have a Copper Sure 3 that we are selling! Not sure where you are located.
We bought the Copper Hotel.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Woodtourer wrote:Not sure if you might be interested . But we have a Copper Sure 3 that we are selling! Not sure where you are located.
We bought the Copper Hotel.

Thank you for the offer (this is for my trip from DC to Pueblo) but I want a single man for minimal camping (I already have a 2man hubba hubba).

What’s the copper spur like though- sounds like you upgraded to get a bigger one or were there some issues?
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Great tent. Nothing wrong. We are heading to Europe for 3 months and wanted a vestibule.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I have now got the tent. Will try to take some photos when it’s up.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’ve now used it and I like- better than the hubba hubba although a similar design. Easier to pitch. Much gear storage especially a large section at the apex of the tent. Best bit is the size of the packed tent goes horizontal at the bottom of a pannier, leaving plenty of space for mat and bag and other stuff. As for the user- she’s getting a bit creaky for camping- the neo air might need upgrading. I’m mostly sleeping in a bed with the tent as backup.