OBREA GAIN D40 (e-bike)

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
djbs10

Re: OBREA GAIN D40 (e-bike)

Post by djbs10 »

Hi where is the best place to buy one of these?
I have an ankle problem that has been operated on but on hills it’s just so painful. I’m fairly new to cycling and done my first audax yesterday but every hill my ankle just feels like it is on fire.
An e-bike like the orbea should help me continue to cycle!
Regards Dan

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Cugel wrote:
Grandad wrote:(snip)

Anticipating the inevitability of needing help at some time in the not too distant future I've been looking at the drop handlebar e-bikes as I can't get on with my recently acquired hybrid. There is a lot of useful information in this thread but also some technical bits that give cause for concern as my mobile phone has no bells or whistles, it's a big button phone and text only.

Will the lack of a modern phone create any problems with the bike settings?

No.

The apps and such are for the data-addicted. E-bikes can be controlled easily with a button or perhaps two on the bars or downtube. They switch the power on and off; they set the power level when on, typically to one of three settings - low, medium, high. No phone required. Phones and other gizmos are best left at home so one may enjoy the cycling. :-)

Cugel

I agree with the above, with one proviso, that you're happy with the default settings. I can only speak for the Orbea Gain App, but Orbea give you the option of changing the power assistance levels via the app. That may not concern some, but I find it useful to change the power settings depending on the type of ride I'm intending to do. As for the rest, I'm with Cugel on this one. My phone does come with me, but it's in the bag on my rack. There if you need it, but burried so I can't here it ring when I'm riding.
Last edited by NickWi on 7 Apr 2019, 5:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

djbs10 wrote:Hi where is the best place to buy one of these?
I have an ankle problem that has been operated on but on hills it’s just so painful. I’m fairly new to cycling and done my first audax yesterday but every hill my ankle just feels like it is on fire.
Regards Dan

I did eight Audaxs on my Gain last year and it's a good bike for it, comfortable, fast enough but remember they're power assisted rather that powered so it's difficult to say how what benefit that would be to your ankle. Once the mythical external battery* is launched 100k Audaxs shouldn't be a problem, as it is that distance is pushing the limits of the battery, especially so on a hilly route.

*OR you could use the extra battery capacity to run it on full power more often which may help with your ankle. One of the main advantages with the Gain (and its clones) is that compared to some of the heavier in weight alternatives is that you can ride a Gain like a regular bike with the power either off on the flat, or as I do run it on the lowest assistance level (with the power assistance manually turned down even further), thus keep the power for when you want it, i.e. hills & headwinds. This and the extra battery has got to be a win win situation.
djbs10

Post by djbs10 »

NickWi wrote:
Regards Dan

I did eight Audaxs on my Gain last year and it's a good bike for it, comfortable, fast enough but remember they're power assisted rather that powered so it's difficult to say how what benefit that would be to your ankle. Once the mythical external battery* is launched 100k Audaxs shouldn't be a problem, as it is that distance is pushing the limits of the battery, especially so on a hilly route.

*OR you could use the extra battery capacity to run it on full power more often which may help with your ankle. One of the main advantages with the Gain (and its clones) is that compared to some of the heavier in weight alternatives is that you can ride a Gain like a regular bike with the power either off on the flat, or as I do run it on the lowest assistance level (with the power assistance manually turned down even further), thus keep the power for when you want it, i.e. hills & headwinds. This and the extra battery has got to be a win win situation.

I’m generally fine on the flat but when I put my ankle under strain on hills it gets very painful.
I would probably only need it in the lowest setting but a little help would make it much easier I would have thought.
Regards Dan

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
robgul

Post by robgul »

Regards Dan

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

To answer the question in the first line of your post .... there are a number of Orbea dealers around the country (where are you?)) - but don't expect anything much in the way of discount from RRP as they still seem to be in limited supply. A test ride would be a good idea although I bought my own Gain on the basis of recommendation and and love it

if you PM me I may be able to help sourcing one via my shop.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
shiranity

Post by shiranity »

robgul wrote:Been out on mine today - to add to the speed limiter comment - it's 25km/h which equates to 15.625 mph and it's an EU ruling - over that speed and you require registration, approved motorcycle helmet, insurance etc.

... I have read hat Orbea has today introduced a carbon fibre Gain machine ....

They do seem to like rocking Vidmate iTunes Notepad++ horse droppings to buy in the UK - my dealer pal has just had the date for his order pushed out again.

Rob

The attraction of the Orbea was that it looks like a road-bike with the slightly fatter down-tube housing the battery and the motor sandwiched between a disc rotor and large sprocket on the cassette makes it less obtrusive. The single button on the top-tube to control the power levels etc is brilliant. I also looked at the Giant roadbike but that was ugly with a battery on the downtube ... and also a lot more expensive and weighs a lot more (the Orbea weighs almost the same as my 1975 Galaxy)
djbs10

Post by djbs10 »

Can the batteries be replaced easily?
I will buy one of these later in the year if so.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

djbs10 wrote:Can the batteries be replaced easily?

Owners may correct me but .... when me and t'ladywife were looking at electric bikes for her, we examined an Orbea and a similar Ribble. Although the batteries can be got out, it seemed to involve quite a lot of fiddling about, In addition, no one could tell us if the bike would ride like a normal bike if the battery were removed. Nor the cost of a replacement battery. It wasn't clear when the suggested additional bottle cage battery might be available either, although that didn't matter to us much.

The ladywife eventually chose a Focus Parlane2 with a Fazua motor & battery system. These too have the battery (and the motor) in the down tube but both can be dropped out in a second via the press of a button, when the bike becomes ridable just as an ordinary bike. The battery and motor are in a single housing but can also be seprated in a second by the press of another button.

Fazua systen batteries can be easily replaced, then. They are also easily carted about and charged off the bike, which is something of a bonus as the bike shed has no electric socket.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
robgul

Post by robgul »

Cugel wrote:

Owners may correct me but .... when me and t'ladywife were looking at electric bikes for her, we examined an Orbea and a similar Ribble. Although the batteries can be got out, it seemed to involve quite a lot of fiddling about, In addition, no one could tell us if the bike would ride like a normal bike if the battery were removed. Nor the cost of a replacement battery. It wasn't clear when the suggested additional bottle cage battery might be available either, although that didn't matter to us much.

The ladywife eventually chose a Focus Parlane2 with a Fazua motor & battery system. These too have the battery (and the motor) in the down tube but both can be dropped out in a second via the press of a button, when the bike becomes ridable just as an ordinary bike. The battery and motor are in a single housing but can also be seprated in a second by the press of another button.

Fazua systen batteries can be easily replaced, then. They are also easily carted about and charged off the bike, which is something of a bonus as the bike shed has no electric socket.

Cugel

The real answer is that it's not practical to remove the Orbea or Ribble batteries - the cells aren't in a "case" but simply slide into the down tube with some cable connections that are fiddly to access - it's really a dealer task (that's why the bike is so neat and light - no ugly battery box) - IF the battery cells were removed then it would ride just like an oridinary bike ... which is how the machine rides with the batteries in but the motor not switched on.

The bottle-cage battery is now on the Orbea website and some quite clever features .... but still no indication of price or availability. [I am assuming that as it's pretty much the same bike/motor system as the Ribble e-machines it would be worth keepng an on their website too for extra battery availability]

Rob
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

robgul wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

The real answer is that it's not practical to remove the Orbea or Ribble batteries - the cells aren't in a "case" but simply slide into the down tube with some cable connections that are fiddly to access - it's really a dealer task (that's why the bike is so neat and light - no ugly battery box) - IF the battery cells were removed then it would ride just like an oridinary bike ... which is how the machine rides with the batteries in but the motor not switched on.

The bottle-cage battery is now on the Orbea website and some quite clever features .... but still no indication of price or availability. [I am assuming that as it's pretty much the same bike/motor system as the Ribble e-machines it would be worth keepng an on their website too for extra battery availability]

Rob

Good information to have.

I did read somewhere that the Orbea (and Ribble) motors have a bit of a drag when switched off? Is that so or just tittle-tattle? The Fazua system diengages entirely when the power is switched off or the bike gets to 15.5mph (the cut-out speed) so never drags on the transmission.

One might mention that another advantage of the Fazua system is that the rear wheel (and the front, of course) may be swapped out for different wheels without affecting the motor, whilst the Orbea/Ribble arrangement with it's hub motor would require quite an expensive build to have an alternative set of wheels available. This may be a non-issue for many, who have no desire for different types of wheels.

And the Focus Parlane2 of the ladywife has an issue of wheel swap anyway, as it uses a queer standard of extra-width DT hubs to match the extended chainline of the Fazua gearbox and associated FSA chainset. But most Fazua bikes seem not to use these extended-width hubs, even though they do use the extended chainline FSA chainset.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

On the Orbea you do not get any drag when freewheeling or riding over 15mph, however there is about one seconds worth of drag when you shift from say full power to middle power as the motor readjusts itself, I guess this is where the tittle-tattle comes from and we all know how bad the internet is for expanding the truth. Other than that the X35 system does what it says on the tin.
robgul

Post by robgul »

NickWi wrote:On the Orbea you do not get any drag when freewheeling or riding over 15mph, however there is about one seconds worth of drag when you shift from say full power to middle power as the motor readjusts itself, I guess this is where the tittle-tattle comes from and we all know how bad the internet is for expanding the truth. Other than that the X35 system does what it says on the tin.

Yep - I've found on my Gain that less than half a revolution of back pedal stops the "pause" referred when changing power levels or switching it off to ride under your own steam. I assume its' something to do with the magnet sensors?

Rob
robgul

Post by robgul »

As an aside - I've just heard that the Orbea extra battery unit (which has some fancy recharging features from what I understand of the spec) is imminent - just waiting for UK certification apparently.

BUT the RRP is ~£510.00 ... which is in the range predicted when it was first announced a while ago.

Rob
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

robgul wrote:As an aside - I've just heard that the Orbea extra battery unit (which has some fancy recharging features from what I understand of the spec) is imminent - just waiting for UK certification apparently.

BUT the RRP is ~£510.00 ... which is in the range predicted when it was first announced a while ago.

Rob

More info:- https://www.ebikemotion.com/web/x35-range-extender/

But £510!!!! If that's right, and as you're in the trade I've no reason to doubt what you've said, but that's one hell of a lot of money, fancy tricks or otherwise.
robgul

Post by robgul »

NickWi wrote:
robgul wrote:As an aside - I've just heard that the Orbea extra battery unit (which has some fancy recharging features from what I understand of the spec) is imminent - just waiting for UK certification apparently.

Rob

More info:- https://www.ebikemotion.com/web/x35-range-extender/

But £510!!!! If that's right, and as you're in the trade I've no reason to doubt what you've said, but that's one hell of a lot of money, fancy tricks or otherwise.

Yebbut, have a look at what a decent e-bike battery costs on its own (replacement/spare) and the £500 doesn't seem so far away.

Sadly despite running an LBS I doubt that I'll be able to get one other than from a pal who is an Orbea dealer at possibly 5% off if I ask nicely. The Orbea machines are still very much in the rocking horse droppings zone for availability on some of the models and I guess the battery will be too (and I'm assuming the same battery add-on will work with the Ribble machines using the same system)

Rob