Ardrossan to Glasgow

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Adamcycles17

Ardrossan to Glasgow

Post by Adamcycles17 »

Planning a trip from Penrith to Glasgow largely following National Route 7 but with a side trip to Arran.

From Ardrossan to Glasgow the route is the old railways: What is the surface like? My alternative is a backroads route to Barrhead which is more direct and remarkably seems to be less climbing, according to Ride with GPS. My worry with this alternative is the backroads may turn out to be busy and unpleasent. Advice appreciated.

Route is here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28749116

Thanks

Adam
irc

Re: Ardrossan to Glasgow

Post by irc »

First thing is that riding is optional. There is a train every 30 min from Ardossan to Glasgow Central. No need to book. Staff relaxed about squeezing bikes on if it's busy. On the Glasgow urban services I have stood in the entrance foyer of the carriage with my bike without any problem.

If you are riding it I'd suggest a more direct route in Glasgow. At the 47km point stay on Corkerhill Road then turn R onto Paisley Road West. It is a busy road but traffic is slow due to lights etc. There is some bus/cycle lane sections. I regularly ride it as part of a circuit from the house. It isn't any problem. And I'm not a ride anywhere cyclist. There are some roads in this area I just won't ride.

You'll find Glasgow Central easily. After Paisley Road goes under the massive motorway bridge (Kingston Bridge) you come to a railway bridge after another few hundred yards. Cross the Clyde on the first road bridge just before the rail bridge and the station is at the 2nd set of lights on the other side.

Edit I don't know the back roads you are using south of Glasgow but I suspect most roads off the main A roads will be OK.
Navrig

Re: Ardrossan to Glasgow

Post by Navrig »

Alternatively take the scenic route using the ferries.
Lochranza - Claonaig
Tarbert - Portavadie
Dunoon - Gourock

Then Bridge of Weir and Elderslie then Paisley Road.

Good bit longer but nicer.