Team Sky is now Team INEOS

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
squeaker

Re: Team Sky is now Team INEOS

Post by squeaker »

ratherbeintobago wrote:Getting off to a great PR start: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sir- ... -3qzgwxrcg
Or without a paywall
"42"
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

squeaker wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:Getting off to a great PR start: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sir- ... -3qzgwxrcg
Or without a paywall

Thanks!
atoz

Post by atoz »

landsurfer wrote:He's into shale gas ...... that should give the usual suspects on here a good platform to "hate speech" him .... :lol:

You can include local councillors in South Yorkshire and elsewhere in God's own then. The "usual suspects" represent areas that were decimated by pit closures- and what happens- proposals for fracking that would potentially have major environmental implications. Yes, I think they are right to have reservations about this sort of sponsorship. Not exaclty great PR for cycling, and it's hardly likely to endear the sport to politicians.

Looks like the glory days could be over..
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

atoz wrote:You can include local councillors in South Yorkshire and elsewhere in God's own then. The "usual suspects" represent areas that were decimated by pit closures- and what happens- proposals for fracking that would potentially have major environmental implications. Yes, I think they are right to have reservations about this sort of sponsorship. Not exaclty great PR for cycling, and it's hardly likely to endear the sport to politicians.

I can't see it having any real effect.
Chatting about this with my cycling friends/club mates and generally they all have similar views to me and that is we don't particularly care who sponsors Team Sky/Ineos,or any other Team for that matter,so long as British riders are winning GTs 8)
Its just a name on a Jersey.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

100%JR wrote:
atoz wrote:You can include local councillors in South Yorkshire and elsewhere in God's own then. The "usual suspects" represent areas that were decimated by pit closures- and what happens- proposals for fracking that would potentially have major environmental implications. Yes, I think they are right to have reservations about this sort of sponsorship. Not exaclty great PR for cycling, and it's hardly likely to endear the sport to politicians.

Chatting about this with my cycling friends/club mates and generally they all have similar views to me and that is we don't particularly care who sponsors Team Sky/Ineos,or any other Team for that matter,so long as British riders are winning GTs 8)

Anyone looking toward pro cycling as paragons of virtue are deluded,and similarly so almost any pro sport.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
100%JR wrote:

Anyone looking toward pro cycling as paragons of virtue are deluded,and similarly so almost any pro sport.

By definition there's a fine line between pushing the regs as closely as possible, and being a cheat. Witness F1 and most others. It's the way it is. Marginal gains and all that :D

NFL transgressions in terms of drugs etc get only nominal sanctions, I recall, but do something like expose institutional racism and you're an outcast (looking at you, Colin K, sadly :| )
mjr

Post by mjr »

100%JR wrote:Chatting about this with my cycling friends/club mates and generally they all have similar views to me and that is we don't particularly care who sponsors Team Sky/Ineos,or any other Team for that matter,so long as British riders are winning GTs 8)

I can see the front pages now: "Shock revelation: People With Amoral View On Subject Friends With Person With Amoral View On Subject".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mjr wrote:
100%JR wrote:Chatting about this with my cycling friends/club mates and generally they all have similar views to me and that is we don't particularly care who sponsors Team Sky/Ineos,or any other Team for that matter,so long as British riders are winning GTs 8)

I can see the front pages now: "Shock revelation: People With Amoral View On Subject Friends With Person With Amoral View On Subject".

Amoral/just don't care/indifferent...all the same to me.It's just a company putting money into a Sport.Cycling(and other Sports) have a long History of "less than ethical" Sponsorship.I don't watch/follow the Sport for where the money comes from I watch it for the Racing.
Far too many Tree-huggers sticking their noses in IMO :roll:
1982john

Post by 1982john »

100%JR wrote:

Lets suppose the Kingdom of Brunei - who have recently instated stoning to death for gay people - sponsered a team. This to you would be inconsequential as long as they were winning?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

1982john wrote:
100%JR wrote:

Lets suppose the Kingdom of Brunei - who have recently instated stoning to death for gay people - sponsered a team. This to you would be inconsequential as long as they were winning?

Yes.
As I said just a name on a Jersey/shirt.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You may need a new compass for those morals :wink:
1982john

Post by 1982john »

100%JR wrote:
1982john wrote:
100%JR wrote:I can't see it having any real effect.

Yes.

At least you're honest. However, I think that most people are not nihilists in regards to morality. My intuition is that Ineos will recieve a lot of flack, at first from non cycling fans protesting their events in Britain, but this will likely spread.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Team Sky is now Team INEOS

Be still, my beating heart.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Bonefishblues wrote:You may need a new compass for those morals :wink:

Well I work in the Steel Industry.Even though we're classed as a "Green Steel" company 90% of the Steel we make goes to either Oil and Gas,Aerospace or Automotive Industries.In fact every single Plane/Helicopter flying today is made up of parts with Steel from us.So it would be hypocritical of me to get on my high horse about it.
Before our company was sold we were owned by Tata.Tata also own Tetley Tea.It was once pointed out to me(by a checkout worker) that by drinking Tetley Tea I was helping supply Arms to Terrorists.The young lady was quite shocked when I told her I also worked for Tata and really could not care less :lol:
We all directly or indirectly fund "unethical" companies.....I'm just realistic about it :wink: