No Its Not A Mobile Phone!!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

No Its Not A Mobile Phone!!!

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Came up to the lights the other day, I am always suspicious especially if the driver is...appears to be..........gut feeling :mrgreen: Preoccupied!

Well a quick glance across and yep its not a mobile.......unless mobiles resemble TV's nowadays................A "£$$&* IPAD...size of A4 at least :twisted:

Driver try's to hide it.................where, under their skirt.....

Elated for clarity
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 11 Apr 2019, 11:02am, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Spinners

Re: No Its Not A Mobile Phone!!!

Post by Spinners »

I've seen a woman do the same thing - looked like she was a rep (who nowadays have such devices as well as a phone).

Should be a one-year ban IMHO or am I being too harsh?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think we need the whole thing (that is, driving offences) reviewing and recalibrating tbh.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I think there are enforcement actions available. Didnt a driver get prosecuted for having a swig from a water bottle while stationary at the lights.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I'm with you gents. Should be a mandatory life ban. Same for drink driving. Anyone daft enough to wilfully disobey the most simple of directives not to drink or make a phone call/send a text surely can't be trusted to ever be in charge of a motor vehicle. After all, if I was so casual with how I handled my shotgun I'd have the licence taken off me, and I can't see why kinetic weapons should be any different.

In fact, I'll go a step further.

When your old mate Lance is PM then all driving offences will come with a ban, starting at 28 days for slight speeding offences, rising to lifetime bans for drink, drug and phone offences. They will either suddenly stop this behaviour, and if they don't then the world will quickly become a safer place when their licences are withdrawn.

Alas, despite my free bikes on the NHS in place of anti depressants policy, the Monster Raving Loony Party continue to reject me as a candidate.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I'm with you gents. Should be a mandatory life ban. Same for drink driving. Anyone daft enough to wilfully disobey the most simple of directives not to drink or make a phone call/send a test surely can't be trusted to ever be in charge of a kinetic weapon.

When your old mate Lance is PM then all driving offences will come with a ban, starting at 28 days for slight speeding offences, rising to lifetime bans for drink, drug and phone offences. They will either suddenly stop this behaviour, and if they don't then the world will quickly become a safer place when their licences are withdrawn.

Alas, despite my free bikes on the NHS in place of anti depressants policy, the Monster Raving Loony Party continue to reject me as a candidate.

I'll vote for you. I'm just off to register my new start-up to administer these penalties. I'm rich beyond imagination already :mrgreen:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Thanks to the UK's stupid inclination to use far-side traffic lights, this would be trivial to police: just mount one 4k camera on top of the secondary (far) traffic light head looking straight at the drivers and one on the primary (near) looking sideways down into the cabs and take synchronised photos near the end of the red light time (and maybe randomly as cars pass otherwise). There's already power and a mounting point installed for the lights anyway.

Then pay someone to review the photos and play "spot the phoneys" and mail out tickets until there's not enough for it to be worthwhile - but I suspect that will take some time. You could probably move the cameras around between junctions at first, to test whether it's worth a permanent installation, or use image-classifying software to put the images so the reviewer gets the most likely ones first.

This won't catch every phoney driver, but it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel at first if the A10 at rush hour is typical.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Me, me, me, I will do that.

Yours, Cresus.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On "this morning" the other day they had Lord somebody? I think they are in a expert on DNA?
Who had his briefcase hit by a cyclist on the pavement, group of cyclists, he nabbed a slow-moving one, But they got away.

Is calling for bicycle number plates.
On the opposite side was a guy who collects video information via his bike but also is a bus driver, leads to many prosecutions IIRC.

Ruthie in the conversation said what do you do when a cyclist kicks your car?
There was no answer to that, but I would've said why was you so close to a cyclist that they could kick your car.

We know the arguments against cyclists are all a bit lopsided when you consider how vulnerable you are on a bike on the road today.

Anyway yeah I agree with things like Bans for every road going offences .

I still see plenty of cars going through red lights, especially the ones I notice more of the ones that tell gate me thru lights, Yet, retorts like cyclists cycling through red lights seem to bother them, cyclist going through lights are gambling with their lives, The car drivers going through red lights that are totally different things Altogether.

( typed with speech)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Lance Dopestrong

Lord Winston. Don't give him the publicity.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I'm with you gents. Should be a mandatory life ban. Same for drink driving. Anyone daft enough to wilfully disobey the most simple of directives not to drink or make a phone call/send a text surely can't be trusted to ever be in charge of a motor vehicle. After all, if I was so casual with how I handled my shotgun I'd have the licence taken off me, and I can't see why kinetic weapons should be any different.

I'll vote for you.
A while ago I was stationary at traffic lights on the outer ring road around Norwich....... Looking around, EVERY car I could see had a driver looking down at a phone!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I've been saying the same as Lance for years. Stick at least 2 or 3 zeros on each and every fine and there is the funding to pay for more enforcement. Sure there might be a few hardships but that's tough. its hard loosing a family member to an idiot driver. Some people will be more careful, and other will be weeded out. To those who still drive after a ban it would be 10 years inside, paid for by their fines.
Lance Dopestrong

Why, thank you all for your vote of confidence. Perhaps I should form my own party The Lycra Raving Cyclists? The Brompton Liberation Front?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Police detectors to warn mobile phone-using drivers
The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the technology to show when motorists are using their phones.

A sign will flash at the driver telling them to stop using their mobile - but the detectors cannot tell if it is a driver or passenger using the phone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Flashes if passenger is telephoning: worse than useless

'We do nothing. And talk about it'
- Trumptonshire Constabulary
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies