Lidl cycling/other & Camping gear stuff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Re: Lidl cycling & Camping gear April 2019 update

Post by mercalia »

On the helmits with rear indicators on them. Are they legal? Is there a standard in Germany that makes them so? does it mean that you dont have to stick you arms out any more to turn left or right? what would be the legal situation if a car knocked a cyclist over who went right but didnt stick his arm out but only used indicators? Its common knowledge that people dont see things they dont expect to see?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

mercalia wrote:On the helmits with rear indicators on them. Are they legal? Is there a standard in Germany that makes them so? does it mean that you dont have to stick you arms out any more to turn left or right? what would be the legal situation if a car knocked a cyclist over who went right but didnt stick his arm out but only used indicators? Its common knowledge that people dont see things they dont expect to see?

It seems like a daft idea because (unless there's long extensions :lol: ) there's not much separation between left or right indicators -both are only half a head's width off centre!
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:On the helmits with rear indicators on them. Are they legal? Is there a standard in Germany that makes them so? does it mean that you dont have to stick you arms out any more to turn left or right? what would be the legal situation if a car knocked a cyclist over who went right but didnt stick his arm out but only used indicators? Its common knowledge that people dont see things they dont expect to see?

• UK law does not regulates light attached to the rider so unless they're so bright as to be a public nuisance then yes, they're legal.
• I've no idea about German standards for this.
• I would think normal signals should still be given because most drivers won't expect indicators on a bicycle and have you any way of being sure that they're working if they're only behind you? Also I agree with fastpedaller that they're too close together to be useful.
• I think the legal situation would remain the same as now - the one which might change significantly is if you indicated left on your hat and then contributed to a collision by turning right unsignalled.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

mjr wrote:the one which might change significantly is if you indicated left on your hat and then contributed to a collision by turning right unsignalled.

Hat on back-to-front? :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

one point I didnt mention. How on earth are you supposed to signal with your arms AND also use the lights? if the switch is on the left then cant signal left with hands and similary on the right? if in the middle you use the right hand to click the switch and left hand to signal left and vice versa so hands free turning :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I saw a woman in her late 50s/early 60s this afternoon in day glow yellow, noddy hat and holding her arm out for a left turn, it was clearly unbalancing her and I just thought keep control of your bike first and foremost and then who is benefiting from your signal. It's a very open mini roundabout andfrankly her speed plus her hugging the kerb so tightly it wouldn't be difficult to see she was turning or at least not be delayed any by her non indication.
Why oh why oh why is training and the highway code so obsessed with it for people on bikes when control is massively more important and indeed there's no insistence on motorists doing it which considering their speeds and late turning that you do have to stop/slow significantly because it does look like they are going staight on, not to mention the signal control is at the fingertips and loses you no control whatsoever then signaling is far more important/should be drummed into them massively more than people on bikes.
Taking road position on a bike is more important than a hand signal, there are times when a signal can help other road users but not if you are losing any control. Personally i think adding flashers to any part of a bike is just rubbish and yet more pushing of safety aspects onto the vulnerable which never works in practise to increase safety, just diminish yet again the already micturate poor standard of driving.

There's nothing cycling wise for me on the shopping list in LIDL but next the cycling gear are their men's boxer shorts, very comfortable fit and great for those of us who have bigger upper legs and not the waistline to match 8) I've been using them for 4 years and bought a few packs last year, one I have't opened yet but might get another couple of packs anyways (3 for £5.99). Have found them to be good when in standard shorts using a Fizik commuter saddle and a Brooks.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Will check out those boxers.

Synthetic?

I have been using aldi synthetic boxers under unpadded tights and m&s cycling chinos for several years. They are fine for me for anything but full on all day rides. Cheap and wash and dry far easier than cycle specific under shorts.
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On Lidl, the front light I mentioned, are a good buy to replace all the stuff people are using at the mo which blinds me coming the other way :twisted:
Even saw a guy the other might who was trying to shield his light from blinding me...............................
Normally its cars that attempt to blind me, not all.

Some of the stuff Lidl do is OK, just wish they would bring back the good stuff.

They sold a 10,000 mah power bank (not the solar one which is back in stock) ideal for topping up devices on the move or at end of day camping, comes with a % 100- 0 power left indicator not the dump 4 leds.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I thought this was worth a punt when I saw it yesterday, price has dropped a few pence since then.
B&M Ixon IQ Premium <£24.

Not arrived yet. Bought primarily for occasional use on my folder, although it may also become primary back-up for my commuter's dynamo set up.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

That does show how Lidl have pushed their pricing too far.

I did consider it but was put off by some reports of its closing mechanism being too delicate.

I also understand that unlike a later similar model the light close to the bike may be a bit limited.

Would be interested in your reports back on it though.
Sweep
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

gaz wrote:I thought this was worth a punt when I saw it yesterday, price has dropped a few pence since then.
B&M Ixon IQ Premium <£24.

Not arrived yet. Bought primarily for occasional use on my folder, although it may also become primary back-up for my commuter's dynamo set up.

Thanks for the link, got one coming my way too :D
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

They won't be noticed - they will be too high up, will have no separation, and will likely be mistaken for helmet lamp. Probably disappear from view or give false information if you turn round to look behind.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
The utility cyclist

There are a couple of the older seperate battery type LIDL lights (40/20/10 Lux) on ebay under the crivit label, one's in white the other black, both by the same seller. I was going to buy one for my friend as her old light has had a wobbly but then I found one with a built in battery which she prefers.
They were up for £5.99+post and I'd originally made an offer to the seller and they'd indicated £5.50 would get the purchase so with postage £8.40 each https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crivit-Led-B ... 2763.l2649
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The utility cyclist wrote:There are a couple of the older seperate battery type LIDL lights (40/20/10 Lux) on ebay under the crivit label, one's in white the other black, both by the same seller. I was going to buy one for my friend as her old light has had a wobbly but then I found one with a built in battery which she prefers.
They were up for £5.99+post and I'd originally made an offer to the seller and they'd indicated £5.50 would get the purchase so with postage £8.40 each https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crivit-Led-B ... 2763.l2649

well I am surprised they are still there as they were originally about £7-8? and I think they were the best lights that Lidl ever sold & seems to have decided not to continue them. if I didnt already have a spare set I would have bought them already
The utility cyclist

mercalia wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:There are a couple of the older seperate battery type LIDL lights (40/20/10 Lux) on ebay under the crivit label, one's in white the other black, both by the same seller. I was going to buy one for my friend as her old light has had a wobbly but then I found one with a built in battery which she prefers.

well I am surprised they are still there as they were originally about £7-8? and I think they were the best lights that Lidl ever sold & seems to have decided not to continue them. if I didnt already have a spare set I would have bought them already

Me too, I bought the one with the built in battery to replace my commuter light that I broke when the bike was blown over whilst doing voluntary work :roll:, so when I found same for my friend there was no need for me to get one for myself though I guess giving them to others as a decent light without breaking the bank might have been reason to.
There is a variant that has separate batteries AND there are rechargeable AAs included for the front (Alkaline's for the rear)