TV coverage of 2019 Giro d'Italia?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whiskywheels

TV coverage of 2019 Giro d'Italia?

Post by whiskywheels »

Every year I search for Giro, La Vuelta, & TdF for info about TV coverage (highlights fine, no need for live coverage) and can never find anything until the last minute, or worse, a week later.

When I ask on a forum, someone sends me a link with the info, which I was unable to find previously...........so someone, do your magic please!

On free to view, ITV 4, Quest TV or whatever, does anyone know if there will be any coverage. My own searches have only found endless pages about coverage dating back years ago.....why don't they remove this stuff? For example, why do Cycling Weekly think we still need to see a page about TV coverage of the Giro in 2018?

Ok, it's about 4 weeks to go before it starts, but I like to plan ahead you know........... :wink:
Brucey

Re: TV coverage of 2019 Giro d'Italia?

Post by Brucey »

http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/#tv-schedule

FWIW if you are prepared to aim a satellite dish and have foreign language commentary, you can pick up some of the live broadcasts on FTA satellite.

eg. RAI 2 https://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/it/Rai-2.html

https://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/it/Rai-Sport-1.html

[edit: for better or worse I have always liked watching F1 (even before I was at all involved) but I am dashed if I'm paying Sky for the privilege. I wasn't right keen on Ecclestone but one thing he did do when he was in full control was he usually made sure F1 was always available FTA in the UK. The (UK exclusive) Sky deal prompted me to go out and buy a satellite dish and a box to connect to it, so that I could see FTA satellite broadcasts of F1 races, from non-UK channels. My first setup cost me the princely sum of £5 (an old sky box - some versions of which have a limited capacity to receive FTA DVS broadcasts- and a mini-dish from a boot sale) and this was (and still is) good enough to watch RTL's F1 broadcasts. The RTL coverage is in German (of course) but I can listen to Radio 5 live at the same time, so no problem. Anyway there are (literally) thousands of FTA satellite broadcasts and most of the satellite 'footprints' are wide enough that you can pick up European broadcasts without great difficulty. You can watch a lot of live bicycle racing this way if you want to! The only thing which is a bit of a faff is that if you have a small-ish dish then it needs to be aimed incredibly carefully at the satellite (of which there are more than I'd expected); investing a few quid in a signal strength meter is money well spent...]

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 14 Apr 2019, 10:34pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Last year Giro highlights were on Quest, usually ITV4 do Dauphine/Tour/Vuelta - they did Roubaix last year (I think) but I did not spot it this year.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
mjr

Post by mjr »

belgiangoth wrote:Last year Giro highlights were on Quest, usually ITV4 do Dauphine/Tour/Vuelta - they did Roubaix last year (I think) but I did not spot it this year.

Giro highlights on Quest again this year. See Brucey's first link. For live, it's foreign satellite or pay.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Brucey wrote:
for better or worse I have always liked watching F1 (even before I was at all involved) but I am dashed if I'm paying Sky for the privilege.

Last year when SKy shared the broadcast rights with C4 I preferred to watch C4 for the race or highlights when I wasn't able to watch the race live, I did resort to paying Ssky via NowTV for race coverage on the rare sundays when there was a race and I wasn't working. This year though Sky have the F1 live coverage all to themselves apart from Silverstone and the restrictions they've placed on C4 for their highlights program is criminal, no pit lane reporter, no driver interviews in the drivers' pen after the race and a max of 50% of the highlights program is to feature the race.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47542802

In an effort to gain better viewing figures for the ££££s Sky are payiing for the F1 rights in the UK thay are also showing the race on Sky1, which is a non premium channel and available to anyone with the basic sKy or VM package so means nearly free F1 :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mjr wrote:Giro highlights on Quest again this year. See Brucey's first link. For live, it's foreign satellite or pay.

That link also mentions free live feeds for which you’ll need a VPN.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
honesty

Post by honesty »

Can you use the Rai Player app to watch the Giro in Italian or will it be blocked unless you use a VPN to mask your geographic location? Will have to have a look when its on!
whiskywheels

Post by whiskywheels »

That's great, Quest TV it is! I like to have something to look forward to in these dark times. Gawd knows why my searches never seem to find this info.
pga

Post by pga »

You can get the Giro for free through such sites as Steephill but it is a bit hit and miss so I decided to pay the Eurosport subscription to receive online ccoverage on my laptop. This year the cost is £40 for a full year running from the day you pay. This has paid off with easy site access to all the early season races. Sometimes there is more than one race per day, like today You have to be strong willed otherwise getting on the bike takes a back seat.
whiskywheels

Post by whiskywheels »

pga wrote:You can get the Giro for free through such sites as Steephill but it is a bit hit and miss so I decided to pay the Eurosport subscription to receive online ccoverage on my laptop. This year the cost is £40 for a full year running from the day you pay. This has paid off with easy site access to all the early season races. Sometimes there is more than one race per day, like today You have to be strong willed otherwise getting on the bike takes a back seat.

I don't get it. You can get the Giro coverage on Quest TV, which is available on Freeview & Freesat?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

also; Tour de Yorkshire during the first week in May; you can see it on ITV4

https://letour.yorkshire.com/information/tv-coverage/

As last year there is live coverage plus a highlights show in the evening

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whiskywheels

Post by whiskywheels »

Brucey wrote:also; Tour de Yorkshire during the first week in May; you can see it on ITV4

https://letour.yorkshire.com/information/tv-coverage/

As last year there is live coverage plus a highlights show in the evening

cheers

Hmm, I may break with my tradition of only watching the Grand Tours and take a look at this also. Thanks for the heads up!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

whiskywheels wrote:
pga wrote:You can get the Giro for free through such sites as Steephill but it is a bit hit and miss so I decided to pay the Eurosport subscription to receive online ccoverage on my laptop. This year the cost is £40 for a full year running from the day you pay. This has paid off with easy site access to all the early season races. Sometimes there is more than one race per day, like today You have to be strong willed otherwise getting on the bike takes a back seat.

I don't get it. You can get the Giro coverage on Quest TV, which is available on Freeview & Freesat?

Yes, but you only get the highlights on Quest. Also, Eurosport Player has an iplayer function so you don't have to watch in real time. I have it on my phone and AirPlay it to the large screen TV via Apple TV.

You get all the Claasics + the lesser stage races such as Paris-Nice, Tirreno, Dauphine, Basque Country and Catalunya on Eurosport.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If you enjoy cycle racing of any kind a Eurosport sub is well worth it IMHO.
The bonuses are OH gets her ice skating and horse events some cycle events you can get UCI coverage with commentary, no adverts and no Carlton Kirby :D
The downside is Carlton Kirby :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info