Yamaha launch the Wabash gravel e-bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
reohn2

Re: Yamaha launch the Wabash gravel e-bike

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Someone is trying harder, along the lines I was imagining:

https://fazua.com/en/

What would concern me most about that system is(road salt) water ingress in UK riding conditions,the whole kit and caboodle is right in the firing line unless some wide mud guards were fitted with very effective mud flap.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

So we put it on the reverse side of the downtube.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 15 Apr 2019, 3:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Someone is trying harder, along the lines I was imagining:

https://fazua.com/en/

What would concern me most about that system is(road salt) water ingress in UK riding conditions,the whole kit and caboodle is right in the firing line unless some wide mud guards were fitted with very effective mud flap.

The ladywife's Fazua-equiped Focus Parlane2 came with mudguards fitted as a standard part of the bike. They're very effective, although the BB and battery/motor-capsule do still get splashed with water and mud a bit. It doesn't seem to bother the interface between the motor and the gear box, which is a tri-cog affair running in sealed bearings on both the gearbox and the motor shafts.

The handbook does suggest regular and thorough cleaning of this interface post-ride if conditions have been wet & dirty. On doing so, the interface looks well-protected and doesn't seem to suffer undue water or muck penetration. The bikes are advertised as suitable for gravel and other mucky-wet courses as well as tarmac roads.

I would be wary of riding on highly-salted roads. But then that's true for any bike, electric or otherwise. I've seen what happens to a salted wet bike if left for any significant time post-ride without a thorough wash, clean and lubricate! But I suspect the Fazua systems are rather better sealed than a lot of ordinary BBs.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:So we put it one the reverse side of the downtube.

I was commenting on the linked Fazue design.
TBF there are a few different ways to protect battery and motor from the UK weather extremes,but most e-bike manufacturers seem to think bikes aren't ridden in the rain or owners are based in California :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

The electric set ups I've seen (especially the Bosch) are extremely well protected against water ingress. I world expect this one to be similar. They do sell worldwide...