Bike insurance and road side assistance options

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
MarOliKop

Bike insurance and road side assistance options

Post by MarOliKop »

Good day,
I am interested to know, what would you recommend for me. I would like to purchase some time of insurance that would cover stolen bike, destroyed bike and that would provide some type of road side assistance in case of a bigger breakdown during the trip. I will have separate health/travel insurance for myself since I am coming from abroad.
Please share your experience, suggestions and advices.

Thank you all.
Marian Kopecky (Oli)
Paulatic

Re: Bike insurance and road side assistance options

Post by Paulatic »

I would recommend you give your bike a thorough service a couple of weeks before you come. You carry a couple of spare tubes, some zip ties and a phone. For any mechanical problems other than punctures you are never going to be that far from some form of rescue. Be it limping on to a bike shop, a mobile mechanic,another cyclist, or a taxi ride to a bike shop or in worst case a rail station.
Regarding theft won’t your travel insurance cover clothing/ personal items? For the bike just carry a lock, keep it in sight where possible and weigh up the risks where you do leave it.
We got to a remote cafe on our penultimate day and outside were two heavily locked E2E bikes. The owners, from London,were inside. I found it extremely strange to lock a bike in such a location. Their fear of theft, due no doubt to their home environment, was still strong after over 800 mls. So you’ll need to do what you’re comfortable with. Personally I wouldn’t worry.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Paulatic wrote:For any mechanical problems other than punctures you are never going to be that far from some form of rescue. Be it limping on to a bike shop, a mobile mechanic,another cyclist, or a taxi ride to a bike shop or in worst case a rail station.

This ^, most of the time. In remote areas you will find people are generally helpful and you'll be able to hitch a lift if necessary. ETA do a bicycle recovery service for £24 per year but as you (presumably) do not live in Britain they may not cover you. Also it is limited to a 25-mile radius, which might not be far enough to find a bike shop or railway station in some parts of the country, though you'd be able to find accommodation..
MarOliKop

Post by MarOliKop »

LollyKat wrote:
Paulatic wrote:For any mechanical problems other than punctures you are never going to be that far from some form of rescue. Be it limping on to a bike shop, a mobile mechanic,another cyclist, or a taxi ride to a bike shop or in worst case a rail station.

This ^, most of the time. In remote areas you will find people are generally helpful and you'll be able to hitch a lift if necessary. ETA do a bicycle recovery service for £24 per year but as you (presumably) do not live in Britain they may not cover you. Also it is limited to a 25-mile radius, which might not be far enough to find a bike shop or railway station in some parts of the country, though you'd be able to find accommodation..

Thank you for the post. I was just told from ETA that they can't insure me because I am not a resident of Great Britain.
I will see if my travel insurance could insure me for this.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I generally agree with the folks above. Carry some tyre levers, spare inner tubes, and basic tools. If you don't know how to change an inner tube, https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pa ... &FORM=VIRE learn it before you leave. Even if you aren't too sure, other people will help you out.

Otherwise, there are other alternatives for cover. I haven't used anything like this, and therefore cannot say anything about efficiency, effectiveness, responsiveness, etc. Nor do I know if they will cover someone coming from abroad.

You would have to join British Cycling to get their cover, but maybe they would do it? https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclerescue
others are:
https://www.cycleguard.co.uk/Home/AboutCover
https://www.lexhaminsurance.co.uk/produ ... -recovery/
https://www.call-assist.co.uk/cycle-rescue

I hesitate to recommend them (because my experience with them is mixed), but Halford's have breakdown cover & may be more likely to cover someone coming from abroad.

You can likely find others by looking at the websites of these, and googling key phrases.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Paulatic wrote:I would recommend you give your bike a thorough service a couple of weeks before you come. You carry a couple of spare tubes, some zip ties and a phone. For any mechanical problems other than punctures you are never going to be that far from some form of rescue. Be it limping on to a bike shop, a mobile mechanic,another cyclist, or a taxi ride to a bike shop or in worst case a rail station.
Regarding theft won’t your travel insurance cover clothing/ personal items? For the bike just carry a lock, keep it in sight where possible and weigh up the risks where you do leave it.
We got to a remote cafe on our penultimate day and outside were two heavily locked E2E bikes. The owners, from London,were inside. I found it extremely strange to lock a bike in such a location. Their fear of theft, due no doubt to their home environment, was still strong after over 800 mls. So you’ll need to do what you’re comfortable with. Personally I wouldn’t worry.

My general principle when on tour is not to lock the bike in the hope that someone will nick it ( I’m probably too sensible absout where I leave it though). Then I can enjoy a nice holiday with no cycling and have the fun of getting a new bike when I get home. It hasn’t worked yet- hence this bike is 13 years old.