** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bovlomov

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by bovlomov »

My Ladybird Book of Psychology tells me that those affecting an air of amused detachment are often neither amused nor detached. It could be a cover for wounded pride, for example.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Leavers have consistently given reasons for leaving: Taking back control and making our own laws.

It's asking "Control of what?" and "Which laws don't we already make?" that fails to elicit a response.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:My Ladybird Book of Psychology tells me that those affecting an air of amused detachment are often neither amused nor detached. It could be a cover for wounded pride, for example.

You mean like people who actually swallowed whole Farage,BoJo and their cronies diatribe,believed that vitriolic spiteful,bitter and divisive nonsense it all was,but wouldn't admit it?
Last edited by reohn2 on 16 Apr 2019, 9:19am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:You mean like people who actually swallowed whole Farage and his cronies diatribe,believed that vitriolic spiteful,bitter and divisive nonsense it all was,but wouldn't admit it?

I don't think they're stupid but if they fall for the lies on Farage's new blue bus, I may reconsider. Even dubya said he wouldn't be fooled twice.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I think many were misled by the longest and most corrupt political campaign in our history. The more they'd been exposed to it (broadly, the older they are, the more they read the red tops, the more they trust/support UKIP and the Conservatives), the more likely they were to fall for it. This has been visible in the results of "why?" surveys like https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/h ... d-and-why/

There are a few who voted leave because they hate modern Britain (multicultural, greenish, globalised and socially liberal) and incorrectly blame the EU for that because changes happened while we've been a member - but so did some plane crashes and they weren't the EU's fault either.

There are some who voted leave because they basically didn't believe in Britain in a particular way: didn't believe the UK's political leaders would defend our interests at EU level. In one way, looking at how badly the exit negotiations have gone, they were right and I was wrong. However, the loss of EU frameworks and assistance after we leave means we would be completely reliant on the same broken politicians, negotiating with no constraints! So even though the current crop might have botched Remain, the EU treaties would have limited the damage, so Remain would still have been a better bet than Leave.

Anyway, in the immediate, both Farage's and Allen's new parties must be pushed for their manifestoes. We must never again let a unicorn like Vote Leave survive on a ballot paper undissected unless we want another miscarriage of democracy.

Beyond that, May must let the police finish their investigation of Vote Leave, Leave.eu and others and pass the case for prosecutions as they see fit - but she won't because it'll hurt some party comrades.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Topic has been trimmed again. Please refrain form calling each other names, implying stupidity or trolling, etc.

Make moderators' lives a wee bit easier so we can ride our bikes more :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vorpal wrote:Topic has been trimmed again. Please refrain form calling each other names, implying stupidity or trolling, etc.

Even when said troll actually admits as much?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

kwackers wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Topic has been trimmed again. Please refrain form calling each other names, implying stupidity or trolling, etc.

Then report it. Please don't respond in kind.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=113563&p=1343291#p1343238

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I think Psamathe has it right about pig wrestling,better to ignore the oinkers :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Meanwhile, back at camp UKIP, following the resignation from the party of three more MEPs:

In the last set of European Parliament elections, in 2014, UKIP topped the polls with 27% of the vote. Of the 24 UKIP MEPs elected at the last European Parliament elections in 2014, only four continue to represent the party.

1. Patrick O'Flynn - QUIT PARTY

2. Stuart Agnew - remains as UKIP MEP

3. Tim Aker - QUIT PARTY

4. Roger Helmer - RESIGNED AS MEP (but replaced by Jonathan Bullock, who later quit UKIP)

5. Margot Parker - QUIT PARTY

6. Gerard Batten - remains as UKIP MEP and party's leader

7. Jonathan Arnott - QUIT PARTY

8. Paul Nuttall - QUIT PARTY

9. Louise Bours - QUIT PARTY

10. Steven Woolfe - QUIT PARTY

11. David Coburn - QUIT PARTY

12. Nigel Farage - QUIT PARTY

13. Janice Atkinson - EXPELLED

14. Diane James - QUIT PARTY

15. Ray Finch - remains as UKIP MEP

16. William Dartmouth - QUIT PARTY

17. Julia Reid - QUIT PARTY

18. Nathan Gill - QUIT PARTY

19. Jill Seymour - QUIT PARTY

20. Jim Carver - QUIT PARTY

21. Bill Etheridge - QUIT PARTY

22. Jane Collins - QUIT PARTY

23. Amjad Bashir - DEFECTED TO TORIES

24. Mike Hookem - remains as UKIP MEP and party's deputy leader

From Sky News today.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Vorpal :D , I will hold my hand up to occasionally using self deprecation & irony to draw the foul! As in basketball you sucker them it to get to the free throw line. Like certain footballers going down in the penalty box when someone breathes on then, Not Mo Salah, the spot kick is a gift from the opposition :lol: .
But a few don't seem to understand that we won't be coerced into rolling over about the Brexit issue, we won't be saying mia culpa over our preferred option. But they even fail to see that we don't expect them to give in either, but all we ask is that they accept the fact that the Referendum came up with a Leave Result - Move on!
Wish the M.P.s would do likewise :? . IGICB MM
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

merseymouth wrote:But a few don't seem to understand that we won't be coerced into rolling over about the Brexit issue, we won't be saying mia culpa over our preferred option. But they even fail to see that we don't expect them to give in either, but all we ask is that they accept the fact that the Referendum came up with a Leave Result - Move on!

Move on? A 972 page thread would suggest it's not very likely. Likewise I don't suppose anti-brexit MPs are likely to give up the fight either.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Vorpal :D , I will hold my hand up to occasionally using self deprecation & irony to draw the foul! As in basketball you sucker them it to get to the free throw line. Like certain footballers going down in the penalty box when someone breathes on then, Not Mo Salah, the spot kick is a gift from the opposition :lol: .
But a few don't seem to understand that we won't be coerced into rolling over about the Brexit issue, we won't be saying mia culpa over our preferred option. But they even fail to see that we don't expect them to give in either, but all we ask is that they accept the fact that the Referendum came up with a Leave Result - Move on!

All we ask is that they accept the fact that the 1975 referendum came up with a stay - Move on?

Rather hypocritical that the present one must be obeyed when the previous one was ignored.......
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

kwackers wrote:
We're already skint or hadn't you noticed?
88% of GDP and rising.

And that despite the ongoing austerity measures which are driving personal hardship amongst the less well off in society.
But by all means keep on sniggering.

I am not sniggering at all I am preparing, and so are lots of financially aware people. The 88% is nothing compared to what the leaders of the Labour Party and their new hard left supporters are planning. You aint seen nothing yet..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......