2020 Audax LeJog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
charliepolecat

Re: 2020 Audax LeJog

Post by charliepolecat »

Agreed, too far off to commit yet.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

S2L,

Can you provide me with a link? I can't seem to get into it. I'd like to have a look at the route if they are showing it this early.

Thanks.
S2L

Post by S2L »

https://burnleyccevents.com/lejog-26-july-2020/

Had a look at trains, as if it was in 4-6 weeks time, when the offers are generally available. From Birmingham to Penzance £ 80 seems to be the best deal.
Unfortunately from Wick to Birmingham there are no deals and it's a whopping £ 200.
So, assuming 280 in trains and and another 150 quid or so for a couple of nights stay over, then say 150 pounds in meals during the all 7 days (5 ride + 2 stay), adding 166 entry fee, the budget is roughly £ 750, which is a bit more than I like to spend on an Audax and significantly more than my estimate for LEL 2021.

I need to seriously think about it... the eye watering cost of train fares puts a spanner in the works
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Entry fee: £166.00. Argh!!!!

True about the overall costs of the thing. Maybe one of those 'nice to do, but...' challenges.

And LEL might be a bit more relaxed.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I wonder if the night controls would be open early enough for a 4 day LEJOG. Been on my to do list since I did my 7 day one a handful of years back.
S2L

Post by S2L »

fossala wrote:I wonder if the night controls would be open early enough for a 4 day LEJOG. Been on my to do list since I did my 7 day one a handful of years back.

It depends on the speed, I suspect Andy will try to taper the min/max spread so that he doesn't have to keep the controls open for too long... so in essence probably not... although if allowed, you might be able to control elsewhere
S2L

Post by S2L »

charliepolecat wrote:Entry fee: £166.00. Argh!!!!

True about the overall costs of the thing. Maybe one of those 'nice to do, but...' challenges.

And LEL might be a bit more relaxed.

The entry fee is fair, if the provision is as lavish as it sounds (4 nights also means 8 meals)... what bothers me is to spend nearly 300 quid in travel, which seems ridiculous, knowing the sort of trains that serve those areas. I did London-Barcelona in Eurostar + TGV for a lot less :roll:
fossala

Post by fossala »

I live in Cornwall and a 10 day LEJOGLE was on the cards for next year to keep me fit until LEL. I do one was as a calendar and the other as a DIY or Perm. So many choices, so little time off work...
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

In my training programme I've ridden 5 - 200's this year and plan a back-to-back pair of them this Easter weekend. Next will be a 300 then a pair of them back-to-back. Since neither LEL nor the Inverness 1200 in July require a qualifying SR, riding two 300's back to back should be enough to be sure I'm ready.
RickH

Post by RickH »

S2L wrote:https://burnleyccevents.com/lejog-26-july-2020/
Had a look at trains, as if it was in 4-6 weeks time, when the offers are generally available. From Birmingham to Penzance £ 80 seems to be the best deal.
Unfortunately from Wick to Birmingham there are no deals and it's a whopping £ 200.

I was having a look at trains the other day with regard to another thread. If you split the journey, you can get Wick to Glasgow tickets from around £35 & Glasgow to Birmingham can be had for as little as £15, although £30-60 seems more common. Getting to Inverness is the trickier bit, there are a lot more trains from there.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

RickH wrote:

I was having a look at trains the other day with regard to another thread. If you split the journey, you can get Wick to Glasgow tickets from around £35 & Glasgow to Birmingham can be had for as little as £15, although £30-60 seems more common. Getting to Inverness is the trickier bit, there are a lot more trains from there.

Yes and going the other way Birmingham to Penzance is probably available for around £40.
For this event, availability is going to be a bigger factor than price, I don't know if anything is being organised but the economies of scale open up possibilities that are not practical or affordable for small groups.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

charliepolecat wrote:In my training programme I've ridden 5 - 200's this year and plan a back-to-back pair of them this Easter weekend. Next will be a 300 then a pair of them back-to-back. Since neither LEL nor the Inverness 1200 in July require a qualifying SR, riding two 300's back to back should be enough to be sure I'm ready.

Man you need to take it easy!

Your making me feel lardy!

I've been doing 100m+ rides.
Getting the time off to do multiple day rides us near impossible.

I did one last September which was ok. So I know I can do it and I have a welcoming bed and curry at the end of day two!
Day three will be a killer long day with dead legs!!

Cheers James
toontra

Post by toontra »

fossala wrote:I wonder if the night controls would be open early enough for a 4 day LEJOG. Been on my to do list since I did my 7 day one a handful of years back.

The problem with a fast attempt on a fixed calendar event is that you have to contend with whatever weather you are handed. I'm still toying with a 4-day attempt but would leave a 2-3 week window to give the best chance of favourable winds.

That would be balanced by the support of an audax-style event but, as pointed out, you may find yourself ahead of control opening times in any case.
S2L

Post by S2L »

RickH wrote:

Thanks, that's helpful.
A bit nervous about getting those cheap "fixed time" train tickets on an event where I am not entirely sure when I'll finish/if I'll finish etc. Basically I will be saving money in case everything goes to plan, but paying a lot more if things don't go to plan, which is entirely possible in a 5 day ride.

Ona diffrent note, I am also concerned about the time of the year. That's during school holidays... in my experience those A roads in Scotland are rammed with traffic and often unavoidable, unless one wants to detour on forest tracks.

This rough route published by Andy seems to follow the A82 to Fort William, which is awful in summer, especially north of Tarbet

S2L

Post by S2L »

An option could be to train to Inverness (£ 13) and hire a car there the following day. If shared between 2, it would come considerably cheaper than train, much more flexible and considerably less hassle. Enterprise seems to charge £ 150 for a car to be returned 24 hours later at a different location and that includes small vans