Oh Eurostar we weep to see...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
birkhead

Oh Eurostar we weep to see...

Post by birkhead »

Just booked 2 bikes on Eurostar via Eurodespatch. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
What a RIPOFF this has become.
Inflation of zillion%
A few years go, I took my bike on board in a superlight bag for £0, and the hassle was merely dismantling, carrying it around the terminal and then fending giant suitcases off of it during the journey.
Last few years, there was a walk-on no-book overnight service for £25, which was very handy for us to come down from bonnie ecosse on an early East Coast train, go to Paris/Brussel, stay overnight and pick the bikes up next day [or 2 days later on one occasion when we had things to do in the city].
I have just paid £200 for 2 fully assembled bikes out and back. They have to be booked in now.
I suppose I could have saved some £s by dismantling and using the Eurostar boxes and the CTC discount.
NOT a good joined up system to encourage folk to use public transport. :mrgreen:
Bonefishblues

Re: Oh Eurostar we weep to see...

Post by Bonefishblues »

That's not transport we'd want the public on, shirley? :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

birkhead wrote:I have just paid £200 for 2 fully assembled bikes out and back. They have to be booked in now.

Departure within 60 days (£55 each), return within 120 (£45 each)? Yes, the loss of the next-day service and the new prices soon add up :( Boxing would have saved you £50 on the total.

2 bikes+riders out and back on the Dover ferries would have been £100, on the tunnel shuttle £80, on the Harwich ferry from £152 plus any cabins (required if overnight, from £55 each/way). I think the Dover and tunnel prices are fixed, but the Harwich cabin price might vary with demand. Whether it saves you anything over Eurostar depends on how much it adds to your train ticket, whether you're likely to be travelling back at a busy time when the first-come-first-served spaces on the trains could be full and where your final destination is on the mainland.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bad enough paying a high price, even worse to find out later one could have paid less, as Oscar Wilde might have said

I thought the interweb made things simple and enabled access to Perfect Knowledge
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Probably as well to cancel the visit to Notre Dame :(
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Last time I took my bike on Eurostar it cost me an extra £25 or £30 each way :o

Was going to suggest you could fly there for less, but even Easyjet now charge £45 each way for a bike, sure it used to be £30 or so as well.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

mjr wrote:2 bikes+riders out and back on the Dover ferries would have been £100

Currently you can get a return for £30 each with a bicycle on Dover-Calais. eg, seven day trip travelling midweek in May, June or July. https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/
mjr

Post by mjr »

LinusR wrote:

Currently you can get a return for £30 each with a bicycle on Dover-Calais. eg, seven day trip travelling midweek in May, June or July. https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/

How do you get that? I can't see it among the offers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

mjr wrote:
LinusR wrote:

How do you get that? I can't see it among the offers.

I just put in a few dates travelling out and back on a Wednesday 7 or 14 days apart in May, June and July. Try putting in 1 May and rtn 8 or 15 May.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-04-16 13-35-10.png
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

LinusR wrote:

Bargain!
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

birkhead wrote:Just booked 2 bikes on Eurostar via Eurodespatch. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Inflation of zillion%
A few years go, I took my bike on board in a superlight bag for £0, and the hassle was merely dismantling, carrying it around the terminal and then fending giant suitcases off of it during the journey.
Last few years, there was a walk-on no-book overnight service for £25, which was very handy for us to come down from bonnie ecosse on an early East Coast train, go to Paris/Brussel, stay overnight and pick the bikes up next day [or 2 days later on one occasion when we had things to do in the city].
I have just paid £200 for 2 fully assembled bikes out and back. They have to be booked in now.
I suppose I could have saved some £s by dismantling and using the Eurostar boxes and the CTC discount.
NOT a good joined up system to encourage folk to use public transport. :mrgreen:

My bike was free. Get a Brompton!
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
birkhead wrote:Just booked 2 bikes on Eurostar via Eurodespatch. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Inflation of zillion%

My bike was free. Get a Brompton!

Always wanted a free bike. Where from? :D
John
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Bargain!

It was yesterday. It's back to £50 return today. But still better value than Eurostar
pga

Post by pga »

A disgrace. Awhile ago the EEC was trying to get all trains crossing national borders to provide full,and free, facilities for carrying bicycles. I have heard nothing since and with Farage and his mates likely to have voted against it in principle and Brexit still unresolved I guess the disgraceful treatment of cyclists on Eurostar will continue.