2020 Audax LeJog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
charliepolecat

Re: 2020 Audax LeJog

Post by charliepolecat »

Man you need to take it easy!

Well, if I am going to ride hundreds of miles in some number of days there is no point me going to the vast expense of getting to the start if I haven't made the effort to at least be prepared to actually accomplish the task when I get there. :P

For me, to start any ride in the UK will cost close to 2,000 + pounds and 3,000 miles of travel (and similar back) even before the expense of accommodation, etc. So, training I will do. :lol:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Good man!!!

Keep it up.

I hope the ride dosen't disappoint!

Cheers James
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Well, not the 250 miles over the weekend hoping for but 100 miles on Saturday in lovely 86 degree weather with clear skies and calm winds followed by 125 miles Sunday in blustery winds reaching 20 MPH and temperature nudging 90 degrees, so 225 miles for the weekend considering the conditions not too bad.
LSD

Post by LSD »

S2L wrote:This rough route published by Andy seems to follow the A82 to Fort William, which is awful in summer, especially north of Tarbet

The decription on the AUK website says about controls in Queensferry and Pitlochry, so that would suggest a Caingorms route as opposed to a Glencoe route. I think I prefer the Glencoe route, but I've only done it in September and maybe going up the A9 from Perth wasn't the best idea.

It's the dip below Dartmoor that stands out to me. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone do a route that way
toontra

Post by toontra »

LSD wrote: I think I prefer the Glencoe route, but I've only done it in September and maybe going up the A9 from Perth wasn't the best idea.

The A9 section north of Perth is the probably most unpleasant bit of road in terms of traffic I've cycled on ever, let alone on LEJoG's.

LSD wrote: It's the dip below Dartmoor that stands out to me. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone do a route that way

Possibly there to make up distance so the route qualifies for audax regs?
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

The A9 section north of Perth is the probably most unpleasant bit of road in terms of traffic I've cycled on ever, let alone on LEJoG's.

I do think the choice Andy makes which route to use will determine for many whether it is worth doing for the sake of an Audax.

For me, a pleasant ride from one end to the other will trump any desire for another Audax trophy if the ride isn't going to be the best I can come up with.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi
How much further is going via Glencoe?
Are the midges bad in June?

Cheers james
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi
How much out of the way is going via Glencoe Vs A9?
Would the midges be in full bite in June?
Cheers James
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The dip below Dartmoor is along a cycle route looks like to me.
That'll screw yeh :mrgreen:
Looks like Plymouth - south hams- totnes - newton abbot- dawlish - starcross- powderham castle (think powderham is due to close all motorised traffic?) Exeter.
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 23 Apr 2019, 6:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jamesh wrote:Hi
How much out of the way is going via Glencoe Vs A9?
Would the midges be in full bite in June?
Cheers James

I’d be very surprised if there is very much difference in milage. Yes the middies wake up in June and by IME the third week unbearable. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Which is worse midges or the A9 :evil:
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Which is worse midges or the A9

Act like a baleen whale, open your mouth and shovel the midges in for a full course protein meal on the go.
Herts Audax

Post by Herts Audax »

Mick F wrote:
PH wrote:That's the problem with unofficial records, someone might go to a lot of time and effort to beat it, only to find they hadn't...
I contacted Guinness Book of Records about my JOGLE on the Chopper, but they weren't interested stating that "firsts" aren't records.

Seems to me though, that unless they know of the First, they will never know that someone has done it faster ................ and they would also say they were the first as well.

Surprised at that as they do a lejog record for an Ellipical cycle. Why not other bikes that are distinctly non diamond frame?
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I do think the choice Andy makes which route to use will determine for many whether it is worth doing for the sake of an Audax

After Andy's disastrous lack of organisational skills for the Inverness 1200, I doubt very much if he will be foolish enough to put this one on.