B&M Ixon IQ Premium 80lux

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
gaz

B&M Ixon IQ Premium 80lux

Post by gaz »

Having experienced both scatter-gun and STVZO approved front lights I prefer the latter. I also have a preference for lights that run off of standard AA batteries to those that use internal battery packs. The Ixon IQ Premium ticked both of those boxes. I've come across mentions of the light on the forum before, IMO most of them positive. At a price just under £24 (Amazon, at time of posting a £1 cheaper, bare light, no batteries or charger) I thought it worth a punt.

My intended use is for the rare occasions when I use my folder at night, it may also find some use as back-up lighting for the winter dynamo based commute.

I did not research reviews elsewhere before purchasing and you should prepare yourself for some anecdotal first impressions rather than a comprehensive review.

The battery compartment was fiddly to open and good light was needed to observe the correct polarity to insert the batteries. I would not relish changing the batteries on a dark evening, never mind one that's cold and wet as well. Not a big deal for me although it could be for others. It was also disappointing that a "shade" presumably to prevent light being thrown back at the rider needs to be fitted by the user. Adhesive pads (and a spare set) are supplied for the purpose, it was a simple task.

The lamp bracket feels flimsy but appears to have a very good range of adjustment. For the test fitting was to my drop handlebar commuter, 26.0 diameter to the left of the stem. It was a faff, I always find the brake cables get in the way but once fitted it was secure. I expect it will be easier to fit to the folder.

There followed a 2-3 mile test run on a mix of lit/unlit roads, making direct comparison to a B&M Cyo IQ 60lux and Philips Saferide 80lux. The beam, as expected, has excellent cut off and gives an evenly lit area on the ground. The pattern is formed of two triangles, a wide one giving good foreground light, a narrower one for a greater distance.

The nearfield lit area is wider than the Cyo, certainly sharper at the edges, the distant area about the same. The Ixon was at handlebar height, the Cyo fork crown mounted (on a Fly bracket, it ought to be a little higher) which will account for some of the difference. The Ixon is a little brighter, not significantly so. The Ixon is not the equal of the Philips, then again the Philips is no longer available, has a much shorter run time and whilst it's bracket feels more substantial it has less adjustment.

There was some light thrown back onto the road behind the front wheel. Not enough to distract or confuse, just a little odd. The battery level light was barely noticeable.

Anecdotely it is a good light, it is not a "wow" light. I believe it will do the job I've bought it for (the Philips tends to slip round the bars on my folder). I'm glad I didn't pay more.

I expect I'll return with further comments when it gets a prolonged session, that may well not be before next winter.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rfryer

Re: B&M Ixon IQ Premium 80lux

Post by rfryer »

Good review, Gaz.

I bought one as well after you shared the link, and your impressions match mine. I also bought a scatter-gun light at the same time, thinking it would be a good full beam to pair with the Icon's dip. That's much more of a "wow" light in terms of power, and value (includes battery and charger, 20% less after discounts). However, that's not comparing like with like; it's more cumbersome, has lower run time, and isn't appropriate if sharing the road with other traffic. I hope never to meet the Amazon reviewer who commutes with one as a head torch :evil:

I may be back next week with some photographic beam comparisons...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the review gaz.

Any views on whether the battery cover opening system is prone to damage?
Sweep
gaz

Post by gaz »

I've not formed a view on that.

I opened it up a couple of times whilst exploring how it worked, again to put the batteries in and once more to take them back out. Now in storage until it is next needed.

I might have a night journey coming up in a couple of weeks but as the evenings are drawing out it may very well not stretch past dusk. In any case that trip will be on the commuter which has a hub-dynamo system, there's a good chance I'll forget to pack the B&M as a spare.

Edit: Meeting finished earlier than anticipated, home in daylight.
Last edited by gaz on 9 May 2019, 9:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

rfryer wrote:Good review, Gaz.

I bought one as well after you shared the link, and your impressions match mine. I also bought a scatter-gun light at the same time, thinking it would be a good full beam to pair with the Icon's dip. That's much more of a "wow" light in terms of power, and value (includes battery and charger, 20% less after discounts). However, that's not comparing like with like; it's more cumbersome, has lower run time, and isn't appropriate if sharing the road with other traffic. I hope never to meet the Amazon reviewer who commutes with one as a head torch :evil:

I may be back next week with some photographic beam comparisons...

Look forward to your review as well rfryer.
Sweep
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

The mount is an atrocious piece of design. The lamp wobbles mightily on all but the smoothest surfaces. On occasion the lamp takes off if it's own accord. Mine is now held together with zip ties.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Thanks for the detailed review, gaz. This has prompted me to buy a couple of these (now under £23 on Amazon). I seem to remember the original IQ's were well over twice this price 10 years ago.

I've been a long-time user of the original Ixon IQ and really liked them, but the Premiums seem to be brighter, have a better beam pattern and slightly longer battery life.

Another very good review here with comparison to original IQ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwM7vDvvGhU

Regarding the mounts - I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever with using them on all my bikes with many 10's of thousands of miles on them. In fact they are my favourite light mounts. If you're having a problem with them, freeflow, then I suggest either it hasn't been fitted correctly or yours is faulty.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

You folks keep tempting me :)

and I am aware that quality lights which can be powered by rechargeable AAs appear to be on the way out.

You sod toontra :) - but do report back when you get them.

Be aware that there are I understand two premiums though - this one and one with the model number 1922QMLA

I understand that the one with LA on the end has a better beam pattern in that the beam lights close to the front wheel better.

Both were I think sold by Rose with the LA one costing more.

Folks feel free to demolish/pick holes in my "understanding"
Sweep
toontra

Post by toontra »

Sweep wrote:You sod toontra :) - but do report back when you get them.

:D Will do :wink:

Being an Amazon purchase it can always go back if it's not up to expectations.
Last edited by toontra on 29 Apr 2019, 4:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

toontra wrote:
Sweep wrote:You sod toontra :) - but do report back when you get them.

:D Will do :wink:

Thanks - apart from beam pattern close to the bike I am interested in your take on the closure mechanism.

Also, if by chance you have any Smart Lunar lights, like this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sma ... gI0_fD_BwE

does it by any chance use the same mount?

Or one near as dammit?

I have some sort of idea in the back of my head that it does.

I have sort of standardised on that mount as it also fits the last two generations of Lidl light (don't know about the one the other week) - the AA one and the usb rechargeable one.
Sweep
toontra

Post by toontra »

Sweep wrote:
toontra wrote:
Sweep wrote:Thanks - apart from beam pattern close to the bike I am interested in your take on the closure mechanism.

Also, if by chance you have any Smart Lunar lights, like this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sma ... gI0_fD_BwE

does it by any chance use the same mount?

Or one near as dammit?

I have some sort of idea in the back of my head that it does.

It does indeed have the same mount as most Smart front lights (incidentally also many Portland Design ones). That's handy for me as those are the lights I regularly use (in various combinations depending on the ride) so I have the same mounts on all bikes - very simple.

Regarding the closure mechanism, if it's anything like the original IQ then it is a rather bad design and feels flimsy. Having said that, neither of mine have actually failed, and that's over 10 years and many miles. I understand other folks haven't fared as well.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the balanced response toontra.

Look forward to close-to-bike beam pattern report.

That mount is also used on a Duracell branded light (looks like a Smart but a low powered one) that turns up in TK Maxx sometimes - a good source of spare mounts and a cheap back-up light.
Sweep
gaz

Post by gaz »

toontra wrote:Regarding the mounts - I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever with using them on all my bikes with many 10's of thousands of miles on them.

I think there may be more than one version of the B&M Ixon mount. The one supplied with my lamp looks flimsy and is fiddly. The front half fo the clip (possibly the back half too) is detachable and can be fitted in one of two slots to suit bar width. Seems fine once mounted but doesn't inspire confidence (It's on the folder at the back of the garage or I'd take some pics). By contrast the one available as a spare from Amazon looks properly chunky and robust, as does this from Smart (I cannot confirm compatibility).
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

The one I received with the light looks like the one that Amazon list as a spare.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Sweep wrote:That mount is also used on a Duracell branded light (looks like a Smart but a low powered one) that turns up in TK Maxx sometimes - a good source of spare mounts and a cheap back-up light.
Lidl light fit B&M mounts too ;)
"42"