Stem Raiser To Raise The Handlebars

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxychick

Stem Raiser To Raise The Handlebars

Post by foxychick »

Has anyone used one of these and what experience have you had? I am thinking of using one to raise the front end on a mountain bike which is being converted to a hybrid. How does it effect the steering? Thank you very much for any replies in advance.
Brucey

Re: Stem Raiser To Raise The Handlebars

Post by Brucey »

any time you take weight off the handlebars (which is likely but not quite inevitable if you raise the bars, depending on what else you do with them), the steering gets lighter. Normally this isn't a deal breaker, just something you need to get used to.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John1054

Post by John1054 »

I've used one for many years on my now defunct British Eagle Touristique. Much better to have the bars higher. Completely agree with Brucey - downside was twitchy steering, especially when towing a Yak trailer. All because I was sold a smaller sized bike than I should have bought! Try one, it could work for you, mine helped improve comfort for 26 years, until frame rust on the chainstays sent the bike to the bin.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

I tried one and it did put me in a more upright position, but I didn't like the look of it and replaced it with one of these :
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stems/80-ir ... mp-silver/
The steep angle puts you in a similar position but feels much more solid.
horizon

Post by horizon »

John1054 wrote:I've used one for many years on my now defunct British Eagle Touristique. Much better to have the bars higher. All because I was sold a smaller sized bike than I should have bought!

Not necessarily. It could have been because the steerer was too short. The seat tube and top tube may have been right for you. If it was an old-style threaded steerer then a longer stem might have been the answer. It's complicated!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

foxychick wrote:Has anyone used one of these

Well, it seems thousands. Which IMV says something about bike marketing.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I use adjustable stems on two of my bikes. On one them, it's to raise the handle bars. On the other (my tourer) I got it to find the right position, thinking I would replace it with a normal stem, but I like the adjustable one, so I've never done that.

There are a couple of other, possibly relevant threads...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129319
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128487
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120545
There may be more. :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hercule

Post by hercule »

I had to raise the handlebars on my Thorn XTC. It fitted fine when I got it, but that was nearly 20 years ago and I don’t bend so well now. Tried a Satori stem raiser first but the multiple Allen bolts (including 2 for the stem itself) looked offputtingly ugly and I’ve since swapped it for an altogether more sleek BBB model which fits inside the steerer tube like an old fashioned quill stem. Both have the same result, namely that I can ride my bike for more than 20 minutes now! I haven’t found that the steering dynamics have changed noticably and I did fit a shorter stem than the original too.

Incidentally I do use a Satori raiser on one of my recumbents for completely different reasons (I needed to extend the clamping area to fit a different kind of handlebar system), it works well and has proved solid and non-flexy. I do put many more miles on this machine too.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Do you have a link for the BBB model you used?
Sweep
hercule

Post by hercule »

It’s this one:

https://bbbcycling.com/uk_en/bhp-21-extender

Note that they also do one for 1” steerer (the BHP-20).

This was mentioned on a thread here quite a while back, I think the recommendation was to use it on steel steerers only with a fairly beefy thickness. Essentially it fits inside the steerer like a quill stem, there are spacers that have a location tang to stop them twisting, that bring the outside diameter up to the same as the steerer tube, your usual stem and 1.1/8” spacers go on top and you adjust the headset tension in the usual way. There are two nested Allen bolts in the tube, I think it’s a 5mm one that tightens the tube in place and a 6mm one that does the headset tensioning. A bit more complicated than the Satori type but much neater in appearance!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks hercule.

Looks nice.
Sweep
Tom17

Post by Tom17 »

I have done exactly that without any problems at all. I used it when I converted an old mtb into my “shopping bike”.
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

hercule wrote:It’s this one:

https://bbbcycling.com/uk_en/bhp-21-extender

I went for the BHP-22. It's not quite as neat, but it looked more "solid".

https://bbbcycling.com/media/catalog/pr ... 612201.png

I absolutely love it. It's eliminated my back-ache, taken the pressure off my palms, and it feels like the bike actually "fits me" now. I didn't notice any adverse changes to steering.

I also got a short stem. Again it's perfect for me. That did make the steering a bit twitchy, but I got used to it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Rose Cycles ( Germany) have some large AHead stem exenstions up to 120mm

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-steere ... hape=black