Handlebar/Stem creaking

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Spinners

Handlebar/Stem creaking

Post by Spinners »

I've recently gone back to using a skinny-tubed steel frame after a few years on aluminium. I've also gone back to using to a quill stem but when honking up a hill there is an annoying creak. The stem and bars appear to be sound so is it perhaps the (single) bolt on the stem that needs greasing? Any suggestions?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
tim-b

Re: Handlebar/Stem creaking

Post by tim-b »

Hi
EDIT: Try cleaning thoroughly with a good solvent first, and check for cracking. If that fails try a thin smear of anti-seize/grease between 'bars and stem and polish off, and anti-seize/grease stem to steerer
Regards
tim-b
EDIT to suggest cleaning as first option
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

Bars with a separate sleeve on the centre section can creak and sometimes there is little you can do to eradicate it. Cinelli had a bit of a reputation for it. I always looked out for GB bars when I needed another set and I never had a problem with that brand.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

creaks are occasionally a single-walled handlebar's way of letting you know there is a crack.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
eclipse

Post by eclipse »

....second that...I remember hearing a creaking sound whilst climbing a brute of a hill on my old Raleigh Scorpio; before I reached the top, the left bar decided it had had enough and came away in my hand. The creaking had started a couple of days before, with no obvious cause.