Camping Pillow

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
honesty

Camping Pillow

Post by honesty »

I've got a cheapo Vango ones at the moment. 400g or so, and doesn't compress well.

Which ones do you use and which would you suggest, with an aim of either reducing weight or pack size. And yes I know the lightest option would be to roll up some spare clothes and use that, but i did that for years and i want more comfort now.
Last edited by honesty on 21 Apr 2019, 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
horizon

Re: Piĺlow

Post by horizon »

Just curious about the accent on the "l".
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
honesty

Re: Piĺlow

Post by honesty »

No idea! I will fix it!
bohrsatom

Re: Pillow

Post by bohrsatom »

I have the Exped Air Pillow (http://www.exped.com/switzerland/en/air-pillow-m). It’s pretty comfortable (I use a buff as a kind-of pillowcase) and packs up super small into its stuff sack.

Would recommend
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I ram my down jacket into a dry sack and cover it with a buff. :D Bliss
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Thehairs1970

Re: Camping Pillow

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I shove my clothes in my sleeping bag stuff sack.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I'm also interested in a decent pillow. I've marginally improved comfort on cheapo inflatables by sticking them in a normal pillow case and will probably continue to do so but the last one went pop somewhere in France, so need a replacement soonest.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Another couple of votes (me and the missus) for the Exped ones. After decades of filling the sleeping bag stuffscak with clothes I just find the Exped pillow more comfortable. One of those cases where what we had wasn't broken, but a bargain-bin find coupled with a Christmas present opportunity led to a useful discovery of something better than what we'd been using.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I find the Exped pillow pump to be very comfortable and, of course, it's also used to inflate my Exped mat so it's dual purpose. Performs both functions well.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Aldi did some , some time ago. do they still do them? they are of the self inflate foam filled type that work quite well
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:Aldi did some , some time ago. do they still do them? they are of the self inflate foam filled type that work quite well

These are considerably bulkier than the pure air ones like the Expeds. We had a couple of Karrimor ones we got for the sproggen. Work okay as pillows but the packing bulk is a definite negative IMHO.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

We got some self-inflate type ones from Go Outdoors, have been very successful, and we find they are more comfortable than just air filled pillows. We have also made microfibre covers for them. Since we can easily fit sleeping bag, pillow, Nemo air mattress, sleeping bag liner, air mattress cover (homemade) and toilet bag into one small ortlieb front pannier the fact that the pillow is a bit bigger than the Exped ones isn't a problem.
The covers for pillows and mattresses and the sleeping bag liners can be washed on tour, and stop everything getting skanky when we are on the road for 3 - 4 months at a time.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

bohrsatom wrote:I have the Exped Air Pillow (http://www.exped.com/switzerland/en/air-pillow-m). It’s pretty comfortable (I use a buff as a kind-of pillowcase) and packs up super small into its stuff sack.

Would recommend

Me too. I have the "pillow case" accessory for it as well (gives a nicer surface to lie on and is trivial extra weight). I would not call it "comfortable" but I managed to sleep well with it.

Ian
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

No idea how it compares to your vango for packing honesty but it is lighter.

(400g for a pillow?!)

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/helium-trek ... gKaC_D_BwE

and is pretty good.

I also recently picked up a nice very compact lightweight pillow in Outdoor Action Blackburn for about £6.50 in some sort of reduction sale.Branded Mountain Equipment who of course do good sleeping bags but haven't been able to find it online.

For anyone looking for a traditional pillowcase to wrap stuff in, Lidl fairly often do a synthetic sateeny finish duvet cover and matching pillowcases for home use which might be handy - light, compact, easy to wash
Sweep
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

I spplashed out on a Sea to Summit, Aeros Premium Large Pillow and love it. It inflates by mouth or using the same pump as my mattress and I've had some of the best sleeps I've ever had outdoors. Should have bought one years ago.