Card of explanation.

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Mike Sales

Card of explanation.

Post by Mike Sales »

After several encounters with drivers and others who asked why I was lidless, I have been thinking of printing out a list of the reasons why. I know some people will be the type who find logic and evidence difficult, and prefer to go with common beliefs. I trust some would take science seriously., and might follow up the references I would provide.
I would include Goldacre's and Spiegelhalter's editorial.
I would refer to the effects of compulsion laws down under.
I would point out that the countries where cycling is safe and popular are those where helmets are rare, but helmet wearing countries are nevertheless dangerous with few cyclists.

Do people think that a cards like this would be worthwhile?
I would need to take great care with the wording, I flatter myself that I have the verbal ability to do a reasonable job.
I would welcome advice and suggestions.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Re: Card of explanation.

Post by reohn2 »

I've never yet been told I should be wearing a helmet and I pity the first person who does,as my response will most likely end in off.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:I've never yet been told I should be wearing a helmet and I pity the first person who does,as my response will most likely end in off.

But if they asked nicely?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

People have no real idea..... I am on a trike, so explain that Trikes are exempt, just as with motorcycle helmets.

Never ever been challenged, even some of the MAMILS simply accept it
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cunobelin wrote:People have no real idea....
Never ever been challenged, even some of the MAMILS simply accept it

I am thinking of two encounters in particular, neither was a challenge, but a polite question. They both assumed, as so many do, that whilst cycling one wears a helmet. They both listened to my explanation, which I made as well as I could impromptu, bur I feel that the occasions needed some more comprehensive and definitive.
Such cards could also be given to any behelmeted cyclists who showed interest.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've never yet been told I should be wearing a helmet and I pity the first person who does,as my response will most likely end in off.

But if they asked nicely?

Asking nicely will will get the response that I don't need one,followed by a question to them that if they drive or travel in a car they're statistically more likely to suffer a head injury than me as a cyclist,so do they wear a helmet when travelling in a car.

I spent almost all of my life not wearing a helmet,then seemed to drop into a habit of wearing one without really questioning it as it became 'part of the kit'.
Then about six years ago I read some of the science on the subject and rejected that part of 'the kit' as unnecessary.

If I were to ride a lot of off road terrain in wooded areas where there were a lot of overhanging branches,or if there were a lot of boulders or big rocks in techinical terrain,I would seriously consider wearing one again but until hen I won't.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:Asking nicely will will get the response that I don't need one,followed by a question to them that if they drive or travel in a car they're statistically more likely to suffer a head injury than me as a cyclist,so do they wear a helmet when travelling in a car.

One of the things I wished I had said was, "Why aren't you?"
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I would print a card thats said, "mine your own chuffing business."

Its legal, does no one any harm, and you absolutely don't need to justify yourself to anyone.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I like your idea. I've tried to explain on a couple of occasions by saying "what makes you think I should need one" to then (likely) be told "in case you're knocked off - you'll be protected with a helmet" to which I've responded with "Some drivers aren't as careful as you, and might think that if I'm better protected they can drive closer to me, which puts me in more danger of being knocked off - I'd prefer not to be knocked off whether I'm wearing a helmet or not!" This approach has (I think, and hope) made them think about it in more depth.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I've posted http://mjr.towers.org.uk/proj/cyclynn/helmets to show I have considered them and made a rational, reasonable decision that one is safer without using and if anything bad happens to me, I was just unlucky, not negligent or ignorant.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I would print a card thats said, "mine your own chuffing business."

Its legal, does no one any harm, and you absolutely don't need to justify yourself to anyone.

I know I don' t need to, and I can be as awkward as the next man, but I do feel that spreading accurate information can only be a good thing. Who knows, I might convince or at least provoke thought.
gaz

Post by gaz »

When appropriate and time will allow, I'll explain to those who ask why I choose not to wear one.

No amount of evidence will counter the anecdotes of those who know a helmet saved either their own, a close frined's or a complete stranger's life. Whilst trying to explain the comparitive risks I've even been told "well, you can prove anything with statistics".

In such circumstances "clear off" does save time.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I've only ever been 'told' to wear a helmet: by Mrs Oldjohnw.

Argument is futile. Logic is pointless. Evidence is irrelevant.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 22 Apr 2019, 8:12am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve been asked 'where’s your helmet 'twice, both times by a cyclist I’ve met on the road.
The first time I was speechless I’d never met this sort of greeting before. The second time, just a couple of months ago, I was a little more prepared. After parting from her company I could think of even more to say so in both instances a card could be good. The recent lady worked in a hospital so she was full of anecdotal evidence.
Mrs P could nag at times but after using Twitter for a couple of years she’s seen all the arguments for and agin and says nothing now.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:I've only ever been 'told' to wear a helmet: by Mrs Oldjohnw.

Argument is futile. Logic is pointless. Evidence is irrelevant.
This was me too back in 2004/5.
Resistance was pointless.

However, some few years ago, I lost all my hair - alopecia universalis - and my cycle helmet became uncomfortable. Not so uncomfortable that it hurt, but uncomfortable enough for me to labour the point and convince Mrs Mick F - and anyone else - that I wouldn't be wearing one again.

That was summer 2015, not worn one since. Even if my hair was to grow back, I still wouldn't wear one.
Mick F. Cornwall