handlebar bag

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nez

handlebar bag

Post by nez »

Would anyone like to recommend a handlebar bag capable of carrying a camera (Leica size) and fitting comfortably between the dropped bars of a super Galaxy? I have had a green karrimor bag for quite a long time but I'll have to admit it's gone so droopy you could only carry a newspaper in it before it obscures the front light. No cameras. There are plenty of handlebar bags available of course but they mostly seem designed for flat bars. The smallest Ortlieb might do but I wonder what real world experience people have of it? I'm off to Brittany loaded up with camping gear in May and one of the things that puts me off Ortlieb is the price of the map holder - I guess I'd prefer a bag with one built in.
honesty

Re: handlebar bag

Post by honesty »

I've got an ultimate 6 compact we use on my daughters bike. It'll hold a compact camera and a few other things, but not a CSC or SLR. I'd estimate the inside to be a out 8x6x2.5 inches. I've been using an Altura Dryline bar bag and have got a CSC with lens attached and in a neoprene case, another lens, sandwiches, phone, wallet, tools, phone, etc. all inside fine.

I have a 2015 super galaxy, and my daughter's on a Frog Road 67. The Ortlieb fits on hers even with interrupter brake levers (though at an odd angle because of them).
Last edited by honesty on 21 Apr 2019, 11:54pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

I can't advise on a suitable bag but if you go Ortlieb get the Rixen & Kaul clickfix mount instead of the Ortlieb mount.
Clickfix is easier to mount your bag and can be removed /replaced without messing with a securing cable which Ortlieb advises to be single use only.

Mike
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mike_Ayling wrote:I can't advise on a suitable bag but if you go Ortlieb get the Rixen & Kaul clickfix mount instead of the Ortlieb mount.
Clickfix is easier to mount your bag and can be removed /replaced without messing with a securing cable which Ortlieb advises to be single use only.

Mike

I rate the Klickfix (with a K) very highly and all my drop bar bikes have one for the barbag. However they do have a securing cable (essential for stopping the barbag from slipping) unless we are talking at cross purposes here - could you explain a bit more?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
nez

Post by nez »

honesty wrote:I've got an ultimate 6 compact we use on my daughters bike. It'll hold a compact camera and a few other things, but not a CSC or SLR. I'd estimate the inside to be a out 8x6x2.5 inches. I've been using an Altura Dryline bar bag and have got a CSC with lens attached and in a neoprene case, another lens, sandwiches, phone, wallet, tools, phone, etc. all inside fine.

I have a 2015 super galaxy, and my daughter's on a Frog Road 67. The Ortlieb fits on hers even with interrupter brake levers (though at an odd angle because of them).

Thanks. I could just about see the Altura on your bike on your website. Looks like that might work as long as there is none of the dreaded handlebar droop (!) They aren't very informative with their illustrations on the Altura ads

And as a self confessed camera nerd, I have to say I can't figure out what is a CSC. Mirrorless?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I have both Altura and Ortlieb bags, all of which I use with R&K fittings, including an ancient Ortlieb which I've customised with foam inserts to house a digital SLR.

I'm around 5'6” and ride smallish frames. All of the Ortlieb bags obscure my fork crown mounted dynamo lights. The Altura bags seem to sit a bit higher and don't interfere with the front light.
honesty

Post by honesty »

nez dans le guidon wrote:
honesty wrote:I've got an ultimate 6 compact we use on my daughters bike. It'll hold a compact camera and a few other things, but not a CSC or SLR. I'd estimate the inside to be a out 8x6x2.5 inches. I've been using an Altura Dryline bar bag and have got a CSC with lens attached and in a neoprene case, another lens, sandwiches, phone, wallet, tools, phone, etc. all inside fine.

Thanks. I could just about see the Altura on your bike on your website. Looks like that might work as long as there is none of the dreaded handlebar droop (!) They aren't very informative with their illustrations on the Altura ads

And as a self confessed camera nerd, I have to say I can't figure out what is a CSC. Mirrorless?

Compact System Camera. Mirrorless. Have to say based on a recent family holiday I’ll just be taking my iPhone next time and not the camera unless I can find a decent prosumer level compact with a large sensor I like. The picture quality on mobiles is now better than most travel compacts even if you don’t get zoom.

On droop, I have the mounting angled slightly up and that works well.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Just purchased a Vaude: £53 incl klick fit.

Now reduced to £40 at Wiggle.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vaude-road-ii-handlebar-bag/
John
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I use an Altura bar bag.. Very stable and spacious. With drops there is no problem Only one slight issue would be the velcro flap at the front opening. Could be a little larger perhaps?
But would certainly suggest looking at them
Re ' Honesty ' suggests in their reply that, Quote ''' The picture quality on mobiles is now better than most travel compacts even if you don’t get zoom.'' unquote..
No so at all. Phone imaging is brilliant these days unquestionably but any reasonably priced compact will have a superior lens and far more exposure facilities.. They are cameras after all ....... The convenience of my Iphone is why I use it so much of the time but on a trip where the images are important I would always take a camera even a small one. My small Canon G15 produces better images than my phone.
Anthony
althebike

Post by althebike »

this is an alpkit airlok, it costs £16, In this pic it contained a pair of running trainers and a raincoat, lights and satnav fitted comfortably on the handlebars .
IMG_0127.jpeg
nez

Post by nez »

Antbrewer wrote:I use an Altura bar bag.. Very stable and spacious. With drops there is no problem Only one slight issue would be the velcro flap at the front opening. Could be a little larger perhaps?
But would certainly suggest looking at them
Re ' Honesty ' suggests in their reply that, Quote ''' The picture quality on mobiles is now better than most travel compacts even if you don’t get zoom.'' unquote..
No so at all. Phone imaging is brilliant these days unquestionably but any reasonably priced compact will have a superior lens and far more exposure facilities.. They are cameras after all ....... The convenience of my Iphone is why I use it so much of the time but on a trip where the images are important I would always take a camera even a small one. My small Canon G15 produces better images than my phone.
Anthony

I'm rather hoping my Leica does too. ;-) Thanks
nez

Post by nez »

Norman H wrote:I have both Altura and Ortlieb bags, all of which I use with R&K fittings, including an ancient Ortlieb which I've customised with foam inserts to house a digital SLR.

I'm around 5'6” and ride smallish frames. All of the Ortlieb bags obscure my fork crown mounted dynamo lights. The Altura bags seem to sit a bit higher and don't interfere with the front light.

Thanks for that nugget Norman. I'm 6' and so ride a bigger frame but I was/or am concerned about covering the front light, as you suggest.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

This is my Topeak Tourguide

The camera is smaller than a Leica; it's a Nikon 1 Series J1 (horrible name) with a 30-110 mm lens on it and a shorter one in the side compartment, giving me IIRC a 28-297mm range. The spider was incidental. The divider might have come from a photo bag, I don't remember.

The bag was already 7 years old when I took this and had done >60,000 km, but the fork-crown-mounted IQ/Cyo was still clear - as it is now after 13 years. Pic from front:

Other likes:

Extra side & front pockets handy
Padded zip pocket in lid - good for papers, phone etc
You can use Velcro dividers like the ones in photo bags.

Con:

Comes with a showerproof cover which isn't very; however, although the contents of the side & front outer pockets get wet, even heavy rain would take a long time to penetrate the main compartment.

The bracket was changed since I bought mine. I bought the new version in around 2014 and couldn't get the newer version, in hard plastic, to grip my bars the way the old one does. They might have fixed that since.

There is a sort of a map case with it which is really not great. I used mine for route sheets cunningly folded until it got whisked away on a fast downhill in 2015.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

I have an Arkel, small size. I think it's a great bag and I prefer the mount to the Ortlieb alternatives.

They even have info on converting it to a camera case https://www.arkel-od.com/en/2015-arkelb ... dlebar-bag

I use flat bars so can't vouch for compatibility with drops.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I have an Ortlieb Ultimate 6 M Classic (7 Litre) and can fit my Canon 50D with a 17-50mm lens on the front into it with ease. It doesn't get anywhere near to interfering with my fork-crown mounted front lamp (but I do have a good stack of spacers below the stem).

Here's a crop from a photo (taken with my phone :wink: ) to show the clearance between the bag and the lamp:
014.jpg
Last edited by freiston on 27 Aug 2022, 12:33am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)