Bike not permitted in hostel : bike knicked overnight outside

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Bike not permitted in hostel : bike knicked overnight outside

Post by mercalia »

"I was staying at a hostel on Borough High Street. Usually I would have the bike inside with me but when I arrived they said I wasn't allowed."

Josh was staying for two nights. His bike was locked to a rack outside the hostel - but by the second day it had been stolen.

I feel sorry for the guy but what a plonker - he should have gone to another hostel?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48035577
Last edited by Graham on 24 Apr 2019, 9:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: derisory title changed
pwa

Re: What a plonker?

Post by pwa »

Poor bloke. I hope this publicity gets him a replacement bike. I'd never stay somewhere with inadequate bike storage arrangements, but I feel sorry for him.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Let's hope he gets sorted. If it was in my town I'd sort him out with bike (n+1 arrived today :oops: ).

As a bloke whose bravely admitted to suffering from depression I really don't think that calling him a plonker is very helpful. There's much to admire there.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
PH

Post by PH »

I think it's the same guy got a penalty for cycling in the pedestrian area of Bedford. Doesn't seem to be having much luck.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Spinners wrote: I really don't think that calling him a plonker is very helpful..

+ 1. Perhaps an edit to the thread title may be in order? Have to say I can't ever remember locking my bike outside a hotel/hostel (NB. Not least because my stays' in such are very limited), but the bottom line is that some so and so has stolen his bike
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

The article says he's been held up by fear before, on previous attempts. Depression can do that to some people, and on many levels. Maybe at that point he didn't have the mental energy to go looking for somewhere else that was (a) open and (b) more bike-friendly, especially if he'd already paid before they told him that rule. I agree that would have been a better thing to do, but only after reading this thread. I've parked my own bike a few places in Bristol, though not overnight, and got away with it.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The other side of the coin is just what a sad place much of England (UK?) has become.
Lock up everything. Pay for everything.
No smiles from strangers.

It takes away so much quality of life.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I don't think this guy is a plonker, I don't even know him. I suspect neither does the OP. Given his bicycle was stolen I think he deserves sympathy not ridicule.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
PH

Post by PH »

PDQ Mobile wrote:The other side of the coin is just what a sad place much of England (UK?) has become.

Why would you think this has anything specifically to do with England? Do you think bikes don't get stolen anywhere else?
If you think it's anything English, or new, go watch Bicycle Thieves an Italian film from the 40's.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

PH wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:The other side of the coin is just what a sad place much of England (UK?) has become.

Why would you think this has anything specifically to do with England? Do you think bikes don't get stolen anywhere else?
If you think it's anything English, or new, go watch Bicycle Thieves an Italian film from the 40's.

I didn't say that.
Yet there are places where one can be a bit more trusting.
I know them well and they make a quality of life that's hard to buy.
I am not sure if Italy is everywhere so bad as London but any evidence is anecdotal- I still have a bike!

From what I read (mostly on here) many English cities are a pain if you have a decent bike.
PH

Post by PH »

PDQ Mobile wrote:From what I read (mostly on here) many English cities are a pain if you have a decent bike.

I still don't get what you're saying, isn't the above sentence just as true with the word English removed? If there's some evidence that England is any worse than any other western country for bike theft, lets hear it, otherwise what are you saying?
Last edited by PH on 24 Apr 2019, 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I feel sorry for the guy but what a plonker

Perhaps it would always be better if before we write any negative comments on forums such as this we ask ourselves: "Is this something I'd want to say to his face". It is so much more helpful to offer an open hand than a backhand.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

PH wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:From what I read (mostly on here) many English cities are a pain if you have a decent bike.

I still don't get what you're saying, isn't the above sentence is just as true with the word English removed? If there's some evidence that England is any worse than any other western country for bike theft, lets hear it, otherwise what are you saying?

I said anecdotal.
London seems intolerably bad in places.
There is no question that some Western countries are less bad.IMV.
Places that still hold a bit of personal honesty dear.

You google it and let us all know, I haven't time.
I have a non stolen bike to ride in the sun.
PH

Post by PH »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
PH wrote:

I still don't get what you're saying, isn't the above sentence is just as true with the word English removed? If there's some evidence that England is any worse than any other western country for bike theft, lets hear it, otherwise what are you saying?

I said anecdotal.
London seems intolerably bad in places.
There is no question that some Western countries are less bad.IMV.
Places that still hold a bit of personal honesty dear.

You google it and let us all know, I haven't time.
I have a non stolen bike to ride in the sun.

Nothing anecdotal about this
The other side of the coin is just what a sad place much of England (UK?) has become.

It's just the typical unsubstantiated anti English sentiment that we'd be better off without.
Your are the one making claims that don't stack up - you google it :roll:
Even though it's raining here :?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Ah but it does stack up.
There are more honest places in Europe than England. Sadly.
Where honestly and trustfulness make life a higher quality.
I know this for sure and I don't care what anyone says or thinks.

It was not always so.
England dear England what have they done to you? :(

You may accept it as a fact of life, many people do.

Why don't you start a thread/poll:
"Have you had a bike stolen and where?" Or similar.