handlebar bag

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nez

Re: handlebar bag

Post by nez »

Thanks for replies all. I wish we had a little like button on posts so I could thank individually. Anyway I’m grateful for the responses and pictures
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Surely it's not the bag that causes the droop but the mounting. The several bikes I have fitted bar bags to (Vaude, Ortlieb, Topeak and Altura) I have always used the Rixen and Kaul mount. For the Topeak and Vaude bags I had to do a little modification but all was good. I don't use the silly Ortlieb mount they supply and I can't remember for the Altura. In any case no droop on my bike. I also put a spacer ring of neatly cut old inner tuber between the R&K handlebar ring and the actual handlebars to stop the weight of the bag causing droop. It has always worked. No droop ever.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
nez

Post by nez »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Surely it's not the bag that causes the droop but the mounting. The several bikes I have fitted bar bags to (Vaude, Ortlieb, Topeak and Altura) I have always used the Rixen and Kaul mount. For the Topeak and Vaude bags I had to do a little modification but all was good. I don't use the silly Ortlieb mount they supply and I can't remember for the Altura. In any case no droop on my bike. I also put a spacer ring of neatly cut old inner tuber between the R&K handlebar ring and the actual handlebars to stop the weight of the bag causing droop. It has always worked. No droop ever.
of course you’re right. It only droops with a camera in it. I’m coming round to the view the smallest Ortlieb will do the job.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I'm eyeing up the Ortlieb bar bags but some seem to be scarily expensive.
Are the £150+ price tags for real or just someone taking the bung?
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

LittleGreyCat wrote:I'm eyeing up the Ortlieb bar bags but some seem to be scarily expensive.

Yep! At least at this time of the year.
I toured the guts of 10000 km over a few years with a freebie handlebar bag and a plastic bag inside it to protect contents from rain.
Then when I spent the big money I knew exactly what I wanted because I knew what I wanted in my barbag.

I have found for these kinds of purchases it's better to research what I want and wait until I see a deal. Deciding today and buying tomorrow is a great way to spend a lot of money that doesn't need to be spent.

Before you spend have you thought about what you will be carrying in it?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

LittleGreyCat wrote:I'm eyeing up the Ortlieb bar bags but some seem to be scarily expensive.

Those are the "Pro" versions, lockable and with a touchscreen-friendly iPad compartment, for the modern cyclist who doesn't deal with paper maps.

The normal ones are around £70.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

No mention, so far here, of the 'nodding dog' attribute of bar bags.

I've tried bar bags and while I like the idea; the reality can be an absolute nightmare. Vertical oscillation can and does upset the handling of the bike to an alarming degree, propagating a sort bucking bronco effect through the whole vehicle; threatening to shake the frame apart. The worst type in my opinion, are those with the much vaunted click fix attachment. Typically, the attachment is secured to a flimsy piece of correx or closed cell foam at the back of the bag, allowing the remainder of the bag and contents to droop and oscillate.

The most stable bar bag I've used is an old Carradice cotton duck item that's mounted to the bars via a 'wire puzzle' and guys to the fork ends. I am able to carry some half dozen OS maps - enough to cover the breadth of the country. And its stable at speed over 'rough stuff'. Unfortunately, it's been unavailable for about 40 years.
honesty

Post by honesty »

jimlews wrote:No mention, so far here, of the 'nodding dog' attribute of bar bags.

I've tried bar bags and while I like the idea; the reality can be an absolute nightmare. Vertical oscillation can and does upset the handling of the bike to an alarming degree, propagating a sort bucking bronco effect through the whole vehicle; threatening to shake the frame apart. The worst type in my opinion, are those with the much vaunted click fix attachment. Typically, the attachment is secured to a flimsy piece of correx or closed cell foam at the back of the bag, allowing the remainder of the bag and contents to droop and oscillate.

The most stable bar bag I've used is an old Carradice cotton duck item that's mounted to the bars via a 'wire puzzle' and guys to the fork ends. I am able to carry some half dozen OS maps - enough to cover the breadth of the country. And its stable at speed over 'rough stuff'. Unfortunately, it's been unavailable for about 40 years.

Ive never had this. I've used kickfix mounting and had no problems what so ever. It does affect steering at slow speeds (and when stopped getting the front wheel to not flop to one side is fun), but once rolling I don't notice it. Maybe because I load mine quite a lot I dont get the bounce you suggest. I find them helpful for counteracting the negative effects of large rear bike loads on handling as well.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Mike_Ayling wrote:I can't advise on a suitable bag but if you go Ortlieb get the Rixen & Kaul clickfix mount instead of the Ortlieb mount.
Clickfix is easier to mount your bag and can be removed /replaced without messing with a securing cable which Ortlieb advises to be single use only.

Mike

For clarity, I assume that you are saying that you buy an extra mounting kit and don't use the one supplied with the Ortlieb bag?

Extra question: if you have 2 (or even more) bikes and want to move the bag between them do you have to standardise on one mounting type?

That is, does the part that stays on the bag only fit the same brand part that stays on the bars?

Alternatively, is it easy to change the part of the mounting system which stays on the bar bag?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
Mike_Ayling wrote:I can't advise on a suitable bag but if you go Ortlieb get the Rixen & Kaul clickfix mount instead of the Ortlieb mount.
Clickfix is easier to mount your bag and can be removed /replaced without messing with a securing cable which Ortlieb advises to be single use only.

Mike

For clarity, I assume that you are saying that you buy an extra mounting kit and don't use the one supplied with the Ortlieb bag?

Extra question: if you have 2 (or even more) bikes and want to move the bag between them do you have to standardise on one mounting type?

That is, does the part that stays on the bag only fit the same brand part that stays on the bars?

Alternatively, is it easy to change the part of the mounting system which stays on the bar bag?

The R&K and Ortlieb fittings are very similar and can be mixed and matched. The Ortlieb offering comes with a lock as standard, which prevents theft of the bag but doesn't protect the contents. As stated up thread, I have a variety of Ortlieb and Altura bags but all my bikes are fitted with the R&K fittings.

They both use a cable to stop the bag drooping. The Ortlieb cable has a unique brass ferrule at one end to facilitate fine adjustment, the other end is clamped using a grub screw which eventually mangles the cable if reused often. It's an expensive item to replace. The R&K cable is a simple length of plastic covered cable it's much cheaper to replace but a length of sheathed redundant brake cable serves just as well.

The backplates for the R&K fitting is available separately and can be used to convert a camera bag, or any bag for that matter.
horizon

Post by horizon »

honesty wrote:
jimlews wrote:No mention, so far here, of the 'nodding dog' attribute of bar bags.

I've tried bar bags and while I like the idea; the reality can be an absolute nightmare. Vertical oscillation can and does upset the handling of the bike to an alarming degree, propagating a sort bucking bronco effect through the whole vehicle; threatening to shake the frame apart. The worst type in my opinion, are those with the much vaunted click fix attachment.

I've never had this. I've used kickfix mounting and had no problems what so ever. It does affect steering at slow speeds (and when stopped getting the front wheel to not flop to one side is fun), but once rolling I don't notice it. Maybe because I load mine quite a lot I dont get the bounce you suggest. I find them helpful for counteracting the negative effects of large rear bike loads on handling as well.

+ 1. I wonder what jimlews is referring to and what it was about.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Surely it's not the bag that causes the droop but the mounting. The several bikes I have fitted bar bags to (Vaude, Ortlieb, Topeak and Altura) I have always used the Rixen and Kaul mount. For the Topeak and Vaude bags I had to do a little modification but all was good. I don't use the silly Ortlieb mount they supply and I can't remember for the Altura. In any case no droop on my bike. I also put a spacer ring of neatly cut old inner tuber between the R&K handlebar ring and the actual handlebars to stop the weight of the bag causing droop. It has always worked. No droop ever.

+1. I wonder if it would be helpful here to clarify whether people mean it is the bag that droops in an arc around the bars or whether the base of the bag droops due to the contents?

The important thing here (at least with R&K) is the retaining wire. I mentioned this above. The plastic grips hold the bag in place but don't prevent the droop - this is achieved by the wire. (Ivor Tingting: I imagine that if you are not using the wire, the inner tube is doing the same job just as well.) Once the wire is in place the bag is rock solid - downward pressure simply makes it tighter. Whether the wire is a good thing on aluminium handlebars is another matter.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Norman H wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:

Mike

The R&K and Ortlieb fittings are very similar and can be mixed and matched. The Ortlieb offering comes with a lock as standard, which prevents theft of the bag but doesn't protect the contents. As stated up thread, I have a variety of Ortlieb and Altura bags but all my bikes are fitted with the R&K fittings.

They both use a cable to stop the bag drooping. The Ortlieb cable has a unique brass ferrule at one end to facilitate fine adjustment, the other end is clamped using a grub screw which eventually mangles the cable if reused often. It's an expensive item to replace. The R&K cable is a simple length of plastic covered cable it's much cheaper to replace but a length of sheathed redundant brake cable serves just as well.

The backplates for the R&K fitting is available separately and can be used to convert a camera bag, or any bag for that matter.

Thanks for the link, even though it helped to confuse me even more by the number and variety of fittings.

I assume that the stand alone fitting is:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rixen-kaul-handlebar-adapter-e/
or
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rixen-kaul-klickfix-handlebar-adapter-with-lock-260-to-318-mm/
which are both listed as £26.99.

This makes the Vaude bag linked to upstream:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vaude-road-ii-handlebar-bag/
seem a bargain, as it includes "KlickFix attachment (for Diameter 26mm 31,8mm)".
£40.95 - £26.99 is £13.96 which implies that the bag is almost free!

Slow off the mark, though, as it is out of stock now.
nez

Post by nez »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
Norman H wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:

Thanks for the link, even though it helped to confuse me even more by the number and variety of fittings.

I assume that the stand alone fitting is:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rixen-kaul-handlebar-adapter-e/
or
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rixen-kaul-klickfix-handlebar-adapter-with-lock-260-to-318-mm/
which are both listed as £26.99.

This makes the Vaude bag linked to upstream:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vaude-road-ii-handlebar-bag/
seem a bargain, as it includes "KlickFix attachment (for Diameter 26mm 31,8mm)".
£40.95 - £26.99 is £13.96 which implies that the bag is almost free!

Slow off the mark, though, as it is out of stock now.

There are two blue ones in stock
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Yes, but there are cheaper versions available of the non locking handlebar adaptor.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s76p1570/RIXEN-KAUL-Klickfix-Handlebar-Adapter

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rixen-kaul-klickfix-handlebar-adapter-without-lock-32-mm/

Another advantage of the R&K mount is the a range of accessory fittings. Particularly useful, given the restriction on bar space that a bar bag creates, is the clip on lighting bar which gives extra options for bar mounted lights and computers.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rixen-kaul-accessory-holder/

A good way to acquire extra R&K mounts is to look for cheap second hand bar bags which are being sold with the mount included. I've acquired a couple that way.