Cicerone Route: A few questions

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
LukeCrawley

Cicerone Route: A few questions

Post by LukeCrawley »

Cycling from Lands End in May.
On the last leg of the route does anyone know if the cafe at Bettyhill is still open as its Facebook page suggests permanently closed? And if it is, does anyone have any alternatives for a cafe/sandwich stop either before or after? Anyone used the Betty Hill Hotel and Restaurant?
Paulatic

Re: Cicerone Route: A few questions

Post by Paulatic »

There was a pop up curry night there on 9th March
544B20B5-767B-47FB-8F12-360C4AFF1FE9.jpeg

A few reviews on Tripadvisor suggest the owners were getting tired and grumpy :D As you do.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Cafe businesses in remote and fragile areas are generally not viable long term. Stroppy reviews from demanding customers who don't understand that things run out and the nearest supplier is 45 miles away don't help the situation.

Last time I was up that way the hotel had been taken over by locals in an attempt to try and get it back up and running which it looks as though it's now operating fully as a seasonal business.
A quick Google throws up a couple of food possibilities but don't expect choice and depending on your timing they may not be open.
It's better to carry some reserve foods just in case. If however there is a cafe open then use it and support the local community.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
LukeCrawley

Post by LukeCrawley »

Thanks to bogmyrtle and Paulatic for the info. We will be expecting to carry reserves of food but if it is open it will be getting our custom if only for a sit-down, coffee and cake!
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Go to the hotel instead. Great food, reasonably priced and the view is great.

Not sure why the cafe seems to be the only thing mentioned in discussions on places to eat in Bettyhill.
LukeCrawley

Post by LukeCrawley »

Hi FasterFerret
I'm not sure why but thanks for the recommendation for the hotel.
LukeCrawley

Post by LukeCrawley »

Oops. Should read "I'm not sure why the cafe is the only thing mentioned either but thanks etc"
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

LukeCrawley wrote:Oops. Should read "I'm not sure why the cafe is the only thing mentioned either but thanks etc"

Don't worry, I figured that's what you meant.

If you are going that way I can also recommend the beautiful remoteness of the road alongside Loch Navar and also the Banana bread in the Crask Inn (and a nice AirB&B in Ardgay). I don't really know the way that Cicerone takes you.

Just bear in mind that there isn't a great deal between Altnaharra and Bettyhill if you do take that route.

Also, it would be a good idea to ring-up places that you might want to stop at to check they will be open on the day and time you might be passing - for those of us used to shops being open all day every day it can be a bit of a culture shock and you certainly don't want to be planning on getting fed only to find that they are closed!
althebike

Post by althebike »

darn it , missed the curry night. I did make a stop at a shop in Reay, it is by the petrol station. They did sandwiches , fruit and other goodies for the ride.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I've just got this book the route through Cornwall made me dizzy!
And up over Dartmoor!
Does it straighten out as you go up though the country?!
Trying not to binge read it lol!

Cheers James
heathfield55

Post by heathfield55 »

I did cicerone last july, my pitstop at bettyhill was abt 5o metres past the hotel, on the left, where there is village post office that sold hot snacks and I think had a hot drinks machine\, certainly had ample snacks anyway.