Baggage - order of priority?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
irc

Re: Baggage - order of priority?

Post by irc »

I never use a saddlebag. Tried it and didn't like my view of the front wheel being obscured.

My order is

Waist pack for wallet and phone.
Rear panniers.
Tent on rack top.
Front panniers.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

Day trip - Bar Bag
Lightweight tours - Bar Bag plus 2 x Ortlieb front rollers on the rear.
A bit heavier - Bar Bag plus 2 x Ortlieb rear rollers.
Substantial load (2 week, full camping kit) - Bar Bag plus 2 x Ortlieb rear rollers + 2 Ortlieb Front rollers.
Full load (3 month+ camping trip - Bar Bag plus 2 x Ortlieb rear rollers + 2 Ortlieb rear rollers plus Ortlieb medium Rack Bag
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

scottg wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:There are two basic types of bar bag, serving different purposes:
One type is a box which fits to the bars by a Klik Fix or similar bracket.
The other is a roll or cylinder which ties on.
[snip]
images from M. J Heine.

There are two other types of front bags, Rando & Porteur.
Rando avec panniers
profile_black_bags-1.jpg

Porteur
urban_bike.jpg

Good point there. The field gets wider... And I've noticed increasing numbers of bikes with those front racks recently, either flat or more basket-like. Basketish example.
mjr

Post by mjr »

irc wrote:I never use a saddlebag. Tried it and didn't like my view of the front wheel being obscured.

I'm struggling to think what sort of trick riding position would mean a saddlebag obscures the front wheel! I really hope you mean handlebar bag.

My order on the touring bike is rack bag < saddlebag replaces rack bag < tail roll < rear double panniers < rear triple panniers replace saddle bag. Whether a bar bag is used or not depends on the tour and the desirability of taking my valuables almost every stop without removing more luggage, or whether I want to keep snacks cool in its insulatedness.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
irc

Post by irc »

mjr wrote:
irc wrote:I never use a saddlebag. Tried it and didn't like my view of the front wheel being obscured.

I'm struggling to think what sort of trick riding position would mean a saddlebag obscures the front wheel! I really hope you mean handlebar bag.dness.

Oops! Yes, bar bags.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

So far, on my own, I have managed with rear panniers, stuff sack or rack bag on top, and a bar bag. If I needed additional capacity, like for an expedition type tour, I would probably add front panniers.

I would carry a ruck sack touring. I'm uncomfortable carrying a rucksack on my 10 mile commute, though Iæve done it a few times.

When I need to carry lots of stuff, like camping with kids, I take a trailer, and I'd far rather do that than carry a rucksack.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
whoof

Post by whoof »

it depends on how long I'm going, how I'm staying or whether I'm riding to work.
To work one small rear pannier.
B + B either one rear pannier and a bar bag or a saddle pack and bar (roll) bag.
Camping if I'm on my own two rear panniers, bar bag and tent on top of rack.
With Mrs Whoof one rear pannier, two front and Tent on rack.
hayers

Post by hayers »

1. Saddle bag - always - tools, spares, first aid kit. can just squeeze keys and wallet if nothing else needed;
2. For longer (day) rides add bar bag for sandwiches, sunscreen, un-worn waterproof jacket, and map (in holder on top for navigation and inside if more than 1 needed)
3. Overnight / commuting add 1 or 2 rear panniers as needed (1 if only light load)

I have front rack mounts but haven't had to use yet.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Rear bags.....full stop...unless camping gear on rear too.