Tax breaks for electric bikes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: Tax breaks for electric bikes?

Post by PH »

Ivor Tingting wrote:There should be NO tax breaks for motorised bikes full stop. Any tax breaks should solely be for conventional all your own effort bicycles with NO motor. I cannot understand how people can even consider riding these things let along buying one. Are they so ignorant about the environment or that lazy? The bicycle is one of the most efficient machines ever made with low environmental impact. But the lazy brigade who cannot be bothered to pedal want to stick a motor and li ion batteries on a bicycle making them highly un environmentally friendly. Manufacture of these motors and batteries causes tremendous environmental damage and then again when they are worn out or knackered and chucked in land fill. They are the work of the devil and should be taxed heavily or banned.

Here's one for you to ponder - if you take away the lazy E-bikers bikes, why would you think these lazy people are going to choose unassisted cycling as the alternative? Or are you suggesting those who don't cycle or walk should be confined to the home?
People choose E-bikes for all sorts of reasons, maybe you should ask a few before being so judgemental. Of course there's an environmental impact to whatever we do, the tyres we choose, how many bikes, where we go... There is no This is GOOD and That is BAD, it's a matter of comparisons and what you consider to be tremendous environmental damage needs to be looked at in those terms.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Everything which is manufactured, including push bike, has an environmental impact to a greater or lesser extent. My steel bike has involved fossil fuel, for example. A battery has a further impact. In my case it is a choice between using a bike which is occasionally powered or a car to get about. I think the choice is obvious. We make the best decisions we can in the circumstances and based on the evidence available and the resources at our disposal.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tragically many cyclists who do not need help downgrade to e-bikes to go even faster
I wish they would stay at home instead
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Tragically many cyclists who do not need help downgrade to e-bikes to go even faster

Ah, but they can provide good training for us pedallers trying to catch them in the distance - as I discovered last year when I finally caught up! :lol:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Ivor Tingting wrote:There should be NO tax breaks for motorised bikes full stop. Any tax breaks should solely be for conventional all your own effort bicycles with NO motor. I cannot understand how people can even consider riding these things let along buying one. Are they so ignorant about the environment or that lazy? The bicycle is one of the most efficient machines ever made with low environmental impact. But the lazy brigade who cannot be bothered to pedal want to stick a motor and li ion batteries on a bicycle making them highly un environmentally friendly. Manufacture of these motors and batteries causes tremendous environmental damage and then again when they are worn out or knackered and chucked in land fill. They are the work of the devil and should be taxed heavily or banned.
I would much prefer people use an E bike for a mile or so trip to the shops than a car, which most seem to do at the moment.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Tragically many cyclists who do not need help downgrade to e-bikes to go even faster

How do you know they don’t need bikes or that they are doing it to faster? And why do you wish they would stay at home? They are not harming anybody and could potentially be another moton on the street.
NUKe

Post by Cyril Haearn »

NUKe wrote:

How do you know they don’t need bikes or that they are doing it to faster? And why do you wish they would stay at home? They are not harming anybody and could potentially be another moton on the street.

I see lots of them going too fast, speed = danger
I do not want more cycling, I want less travel, especially less driving
Less cycling would be good too

One might suppose that cycling replacing driving would be good but there is too little room. Perhaps the motrons should go by bus, best if they stay home
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Given that legal e-bikes are limited to 15mph most pedal pushers are going to go faster. I go way beyond that speed on my ebole but not because there'd os any powere helping me. The power is there for me on hills or against the wind: without electric assistance I would be like Cyril Haearn thinks I should be - stating at home. Being in your 70s with some health issues isn't through choice.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Often 15 mph is too fast
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

MikeF wrote:
I would much prefer people use an E bike for a mile or so trip to the shops than a car, which most seem to do at the moment.

One can walk a mile :wink:
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

robgul wrote:
UpWrong wrote:The EU has since last year slapped something like a 36% tarrif on electric bikes from China. Anticompetitive or what?

I think you'll find that the levy on Chinese made ebikes started in January 2019 as an anti-dumping measure ..... on the upside it's surprising how many ebikes are made elsewhere in the Far East (Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand ... and Taiwan althougth China thinks tha's China) - as well as quite a lot in the EU - Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Spain as examples.

Rob

Except the Chinese companies are not dumping. The bikes are manufactured to order for export.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Often 15 mph is too fast

Of course it is, but what I was saying is that I cannot travel at these huge speeds which pass every other cyclist - which us what people go pain about - by using electric assist. I am frequently overturn by young fit people on push bikes.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
MikeF wrote:

One can walk a mile :wink:

Bryn wants everyone except him staying at home all the time and never venturing out. :D We should probably just put us oldies down or isolate us in a ghetto somewhere with occasional food drops.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

When you stop talking tosh people might engage with you until then it ain't worth the trouble.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Someone else talking tosh,it's never ending in purist tripetalk world :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden