Holland tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
yutkoxpo

Re: Holland tour

Post by yutkoxpo »

climo wrote:I've got 2-4 weeks free next month so we're off on our 'bent trikes. We do about 40 miles per day so not far - it's a holiday!
Original plan was to go to Prague but not really enough time to stop and look on the way. So thought of Scotland but this springs weather is not shaping up so well and we're camping. So now thinking of Holland but is there enough variety of places / routes / scenes for that length of time? I think I may get bored of the flat terrain and canals.
Don't particularly want to go to France this year as 2 years running is enough for now.

I find it difficult to recommend routes without knowing what you are interested in, other than cycling.
https://www.nederlandfietsland.nl/lf-routes shows the Long distance routes in NL just to give you a perspective of what you can do. (There is an English language option). These routes are more direct than the "knoopunten" routes which can be very pleasant, but not direct!

For more of a pot luck approach, use https://cycle.travel/map to plot a return route from your starting point having filled in your total mileage. See what the road throws at you!
Enjoy!
m-gineering wrote:
All this and a lot more pointers about getting around in NL on my touring page, link below

That's a very comprehensive, useful and witty document. But I have to point out, a little out of date. Wild boars have been spotted in the southern parts of North Brabant. A farmer friend who delights in terrorising me with tales of wild animals has confirmed this! :)
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

m-gineering wrote:

All this and a lot more pointers about getting around in NL on my touring page, link below

That's a very comprehensive, useful and witty document. But I have to point out, a little out of date. Wild boars have been spotted in the southern parts of North Brabant. A farmer friend who delights in terrorising me with tales of wild animals has confirmed this! :)

I've seen them there too, but on the hoge veluwe the verges look like they been turned over with a plough, and the ones I've spotted there were a lot bigger ;)

And did I mention wolves? We've had one sauntering through the Highstreet here, taking a good look at the stores!
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
climo

Post by climo »

m-gineering Your blog is hilarious. Sounds like a horror story but very tongue in cheek. Main prob seems to be finding your way. Wolves are now resident, there's a breeding female from Germany so I read
climo

Post by climo »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
climo wrote:I've got 2-4 weeks free next month so we're off on our 'bent trikes. We do about 40 miles per day so not far - it's a holiday!
Original plan was to go to Prague but not really enough time to stop and look on the way. So thought of Scotland but this springs weather is not shaping up so well and we're camping. So now thinking of Holland but is there enough variety of places / routes / scenes for that length of time? I think I may get bored of the flat terrain and canals.
Don't particularly want to go to France this year as 2 years running is enough for now.

I find it difficult to recommend routes without knowing what you are interested in, other than cycling.
https://www.nederlandfietsland.nl/lf-routes shows the Long distance routes in NL just to give you a perspective of what you can do. (There is an English language option). These routes are more direct than the "knoopunten" routes which can be very pleasant, but not direct!

For more of a pot luck approach, use https://cycle.travel/map to plot a return route from your starting point having filled in your total mileage. See what the road throws at you!
Enjoy!
m-gineering wrote:

Sorry I've quoted the whole post - find trackpads a pita.
Seeing landscape and meeting people, the occasional city, not much into museums. Kinda just wandering around really. Use c.t and Osmand on phone. I'll probably head north on the North sea Route
climo

Post by climo »

As always this forum is a mine of info. Thanks guys
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Thanks for the heads up about the supermarkets. Nothing is worse than to find yourself at the cashier with no money and a restless queue behind you :(

...but there is - getting in the 'Pinnen' queue! That's the special card that the Dutch have. I've done it a couple of times... But as everywhere people are generally nice about cultural faux pas. One of the things I love about the Netherlands is the little things that are quite different :-)
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
skelo

Post by skelo »

i have just booked ferry tickets or a tour of the 'low countries' (aka the Beer & Bong tour :shock: ) in July.

Hull- Rotterdam, then Kinderdijk (possibly via Gouda for a free bed!) then south through Bergen op Zoom (just because of the great name) on to Antwerp Ghent and Bruges back on the ferry a week later Zeebrugge-Hull 30-40 miles a day, downhill from sea level and back up! i think the biggest climb is probably the ferry ramp!!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Slowroad wrote:
Thanks for the heads up about the supermarkets. Nothing is worse than to find yourself at the cashier with no money and a restless queue behind you :(

...but there is - getting in the 'Pinnen' queue! That's the special card that the Dutch have. I've done it a couple of times... But as everywhere people are generally nice about cultural faux pas. One of the things I love about the Netherlands is the little things that are quite different :-)

Used to have 25 gulden banknotes :wink:
Shopping in €uro, in NL the sum is rounded up or down to nearest 5 cents
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies