New words/vocab on these fora, boards..

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: New words/vocab on these fora

Post by Cyril Haearn »

TED Tragedy of Ebike Downgrade
Refers to cyclists who are fit enough to cycle without help but who downgrade to an Ebike so they can go faster :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:TED Tragedy of Ebike Downgrade
Refers to cyclists who are fit enough to cycle without help but who downgrade to an Ebike so they can go faster :(

You have failed to understand the nature of electric bikes. For many they enable a greater amount of activity and pedal-thrusting, not less. Going a bit faster is often the lure to getting out at all. Inability to surmount the mynydd is often translated into disinclination to get out the door.

Why not try one? You will be surprised at how much you have to work to make the motor work. You will return still tired and well-exercised but also aglow with pleasure at having avoided a miserable grovel up the significant hills, being passed by one sprog after another and even an olde lady on a Pashley.

Of course, you may be superfit and able to see-orf that Wiggo up any hill. I know I could! Yes.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In theory I would like to try one but I can go too fast even without a motor :? don't want to cycle even faster!
See my recent thread and poll about cycling uphill or downhill
Please to keep on topic, care to post some Welsh vocab here?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:In theory I would like to try one but I can go too fast even without a motor :? don't want to cycle even faster!

I wonder how many times it has to be spelt out: an ebike will not make you go faster.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:In theory I would like to try one but I can go too fast even without a motor :? don't want to cycle even faster!

I wonder how many times it has to be spelt out: an ebike will not make you go faster.

Sometimes talking to a brickwall can be more productive than to some folks on here :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw, didn't you write that you would have given up cycling without an e-bike? It increased your speed from zero to xx
Maybe I am misunderstanding, an e-bike is so heavy that it is slower than a 'real' bike, could that be true? Just lightens the wallet a lot

Plus One for diversity of opinions and tolerance! Just wish I dared try an e-bike so I could know what I am talking about
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:....... Just wish I dared try an e-bike so I could know what I am talking about

Don't we all wish you would :roll:
Last edited by reohn2 on 29 Apr 2019, 11:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Oldjohnw, didn't you write that you would have given up cycling without an e-bike? It increased your speed from zero to xx
Maybe I am misunderstanding, an e-bike is so heavy that it is slower than a 'real' bike, could that be true? Just lightens the wallet a lot

Plus One for diversity of opinions and tolerance! Just wish I dared try an e-bike so I could know what I am talking about

You could visit Cymru and try the ladywife's racer e-bike. Mind, it does go fast down the hills. They're all so steep, see? On the other hand, the fine disc brakes, low centre of gravity and fat sticky tyres mean even you won't fall off when it reaches 42mph 'round the long 15% sweeping bend. Any tractors coming will be driven by kindly Welsh farmers so they will pull over if you seem to be heading for their hay bale prong.

There's a new word for ee, then! Prangpronged - the conditon of being impaled upon a tractor hay bale spke after having an "accident" with such an agricultural mechanism. Here's another: scaretractor - a threatening rusty hulk of a tractor with a nasty grill-grin, only one headlight eye and rusty-sharp rear clutching-gubbins, parked in a field of strawberries to scare away greedy children.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:....... Just wish I dared try an e-bike so I could know what I am talking about

All? Plenty don't care I imagine
I have no earthly use for one because I can exceed 20 kmh on the level under my own steam
Actually I do know what I am talking about a bit for I have been inconvenienced by speeding criminals on e-bikes

Hope someone can explain simply why e-bikes are not about going faster, is the motor expensive ballast maybe?

I think Ivor is close to the truth, an e-bike is not a bike
Alternative facts welcome :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

RSO
Race-shaped object
Etape Loch Ness for example, is it a race or not?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Have to admit this thread sprang to mind, on reading my first post of the day :?

I struggle to understand how cyclists peddle and then have to break, quite different to my own cycling experience :wink:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

All? Plenty don't care I imagine
I have no earthly use for one because I can exceed 20 kmh on the level under my own steam
Actually I do know what I am talking about a bit for I have been inconvenienced by speeding criminals on e-bikes

Hope someone can explain simply why e-bikes are not about going faster, is the motor expensive ballast maybe?

I think Ivor is close to the truth, an e-bike is not a bike
Alternative facts welcome :wink:

Are you sure you are welcoming to the alternative facts? You seem to be clinging tenaciously to your owm imagined non-facts, despite us all telling you again and again and again and again that e-bikes are not spawned by the divvil just to make you fall off one by going faster than you can manage.

Once upon a time a cyclist had to scoot his hobby-horse with feet to the ground. Someone invented chainwheels, cogs, chains. Are these too the spawn of non-cyclist fiends? Should we re-evaluate the history of Tulio Campagnolo to reveal just what a rascal he was to invent those go-faster geary things!?

Knock down their statues, the Dunlops and them!

Cugel, growing suspicious about the evils of the wheel.
John Maynard Keynes
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

image.jpeg

This, apparently, is not a bike but some sort of devil's spawn.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote:image.jpeg

Maybe we should be burning you at the stake! :lol:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pwa wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:image.jpeg

Maybe we should be burning you at the stake! :lol:

:D

I don't top up with petrol so may be a slow burn.
John