Loire Valley Tours this August ....

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tmac100

Loire Valley Tours this August ....

Post by tmac100 »

My travelling partner and I are looking at doing a self-guided tour of the Loire Valley. This will be in August because of other commitments in Canada and Europe. After some research, I have decided to ask for ideas. Any suggestions based on personal experiences? Maximum of 8 or 9 days...

We would rent the bicycles, bring some gear and stay in auberges/inns etc... My personal experience is unsupported touring outback Australia a LOT. Her touring experience is supported touring along the Danube. Max distance on any day would be about 70 km, otherwise there is not time to "see the sites".

Many thanks for info.
ossie

Re: Loire Valley Tours this August ....

Post by ossie »

I would use Eurovelo 6 as a template. The stage here from Nantes to Nevers will take you along the Loire and is doable within your time period at about 530km or you could shorten it and start at Angers.

http://www.eurovelo.com/en/eurovelos/eu ... tes-nevers

The cycle route is fully signposted (within reason) but has a tendency in parts to take you away from some stunning scenery. In short it will often leave the Loire to follow quieter roads on occasion, however I simply kept the river in sight and found the traffic fine although it will be busier in August. I would recommend a day in Orleans, it's an absolutely stunning city and EV6 runs right through it.

Best of luck
JJF

Post by JJF »

I would expect the Loire route to be busy in August and you would be recommended to book accommodation in advance.
jacksonz

Post by jacksonz »

The Chateaus of Loire are perhaps the most significant attraction. Chateau Villandry's garden really is something. Still, riding down the river is wonderful as well.....depends on what you like. Tourist Max in August, famous Chateau will be overrun.
groberts

Post by groberts »

We went a few years ago in late August / September, camping with a small tent and even then the French (as only they can do) were closing camp sites! Notwithstanding, it's and easy and very nice ride. Here's my story if it helps:

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... mber-2014/

Graham
RideOn55

Post by RideOn55 »

The route goes through Amboise. Strongly recommend. Have been several times. Stunning views of Chateau Royal right on the river and also the home of Leonardo Da Vinci, Clos Luc. Well worth a stop over and would include visits to Chateau Royal and Clos Luc. Chatea Chernonceaux is also nearby. A previous recommendation to visit Villandry one of the world's top ten gardens is also worth doing. Amboise is full of bars, restaurants, patisserie's. Everything you would expect from one of France's most beautiful places. Fantastic place to visit. Have a great time.
LRM_EXPORT_21758873061262_20190329_200634119.jpeg
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I am thinking of cycling the Velo 6 this September and found the above posts interesting. For me the issue is how and where to come back to the UK from?
Any thoughts please?
Anthony
robgul

Post by robgul »

Antbrewer wrote:I am thinking of cycling the Velo 6 this September and found the above posts interesting. For me the issue is how and where to come back to the UK from?
Any thoughts please?
Anthony

Our club tour is off to the Loire Valley on 4 June - 10 of us so traons are an issue (even French ones) so we're doing the following:

Drive to Portsmouth and park cars
Overnight ferry to Caen (Ouistreham)
Ride 14 miles to Caen station
Hire van for bikes and 2 riders (one driving!)
Remainder on train to Tours
Meet van and ride to Villandry for 4 nights
Van driver + 1 bike to Gennes
Rest ride to Gennes for 4 nights
Van driver + 1 bike to Angers
Rest ride to Angers for 1 night
Van + driver + 1 other + all bikes drives to Caen
Rest on train
Reverse process from Caen to ferry at Ouistreham

... obviously the days/places could be changed but the train assist would probably work with bikes if only a couple of bikes

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Antbrewer wrote:I am thinking of cycling the Velo 6 this September and found the above posts interesting. For me the issue is how and where to come back to the UK from?
Any thoughts please?
Anthony

You need to be a little more specific - even just in France, getting back from the Rhine is different from getting back from the Atlantic end. Or you might end up in Romania? And how much time have you got? For example, Orleans-Chartres-Dieppe is a very nice three-day (at my speed) ride to a channel port.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

I am thinking of cycling the Velo 6 this September and found the above posts interesting. For me the issue is how and where to come back to the UK from?
Any thoughts please?
Anthony

We are setting off to do a good bit of EV6 this week. Ferry to St Malo, cycle to Nantes, follow Loire, etc to Basel, Rhine, cut across to the Danube, follow it to Vienna, then Bratislava. Leave the EV6 there and ride to Prague, then the Elbe cycle route to Cuxhaven, and North Sea cycle route to Hook of Holland for the ferry home.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Bonjour, renting bikes next the Loire: pot luck what might be available.

Have a look at the Breton Bikes website: they are a little way north of the Loire, on the Nantes to Brest canal, but rent out bikes regularly and know their stuff so you ought to get a better selection of machines to choose from. They own a campsite as well which takes care of local accommodation, are jolly helpful people, and come with many recommendations.

The Loire valley route is now much better signposted than in previous days, camp sites are plentiful, and it's dead flat: bit of a doddle, really, so why not carry on don the Rhone until you reach the Med?

Happy days,
Attachments
Checy, just to the east of Orleans  10th August 2013.JPG
Charge, near the Loire (camping sauvage)  9th August 2013.JPG
Laundry day, Gien  11th August 2013.JPG