B&M Ixon IQ Premium 80lux

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
squeaker

Re: B&M Ixon IQ Premium 80lux

Post by squeaker »

Sweep wrote:Any views on whether the battery cover opening system is prone to damage?
FWIW the catch failed on my original IQ after a few years use so I fitted some Eneloops and glued the thing shut. Now charging via the port provided (an old Trelock charger does the business). Has worked for a few years but now use the latest 50 Lux Lidl as I don't need the longer run times very often.
"42"
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

squeaker wrote:
Sweep wrote:Any views on whether the battery cover opening system is prone to damage?
FWIW the catch failed on my original IQ after a few years use so I fitted some Eneloops and glued the thing shut. Now charging via the port provided (an old Trelock charger does the business). Has worked for a few years but now use the latest 50 Lux Lidl as I don't need the longer run times very often.

"nice" solution - until the eneloops exhaust - and it does also mean that you can't easily bung in more power on tour with new batteries.

When I have a mo will check the lux on my Lidl AA and USB lights - if Lidl they hadn't gone barmy with the latest light (brake light {FFE - family-friendly edit }!) I wouldn't be surprised if they would soon have matched the B&M.

And as for the "catch", what's wrong with the good old system of a screw/snap on front?

Sad thing is, I would have thought(folks feel free to encourage me) that they won't improve the design/the line - just scrap it in favour of USB chuckaways.

edit - which is the Lidl light you refer to - do you use it on unlit country lane nightrides?
Sweep
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Sweep wrote:edit - which is the Lidl light you refer to - do you use it on unlit country lane nightrides?
the 'usb chuckaway' with the auto light level. (I do have the earlier 40Lux model too.) Yes, I use it on unlit roads, although having lived here for 40 years I tend to know most of the cycle friendly ones, so am aware of any awkward sections ;) 80Lux would be a definite improvement, though 8)
"42"
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Well I weakened :)

have ordered one.

On the basis that.

@ The lux rating is a fair bit above my two Lidl lights

@ That mount is the same as many lights I use - 2 lidls and some Smart lights

@ Because of above point hopefully I can avoid busting the battery closure thing too soon as I won't plan to be swapping batteries on the road - will just slot one of the lidls or in extremis a Smart onto the same mount. Battery changing by ham-fisted me will be done under caution at home.

@ Re possible deficiency in close-to-front-wheel lighting I will point an extra lightweight light downwards using another mount of same type - either a smart light or the pretty light Lidl USB Light.

@ That should get me through a night ride and I can always swap the batteries in the tougher Lidl if need be.

@ If all else fails, put my Hope Vision 1 on the bars - good light if pig of a separate mount.

I should be doing an all night ride within the next few weeks so will be able to test it.
Sweep
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

If you're having a problem with them, freeflow, then I suggest either it hasn't been fitted correctly or yours is faulty.

The way in which the light wobbles even when correctly mounted is unsettling. After the escape which broke the closing latch I bought a second mount from B&M. The latching knob was certainly designed to be more prominent on the replacement, but the wobble wan't cured.

After a bit of destructive maintenance this after noon I managed to remove the retaining washer for the bolt that holds the second half of the mount to the light. I was then able to easily fit an old exposure light mount. No wobble at all with that arrangement.
toontra

Post by toontra »

freeflow wrote:The way in which the light wobbles even when correctly mounted is unsettling. After the escape which broke the closing latch I bought a second mount from B&M. The latching knob was certainly designed to be more prominent on the replacement, but the wobble wan't cured.

After a bit of destructive maintenance this after noon I managed to remove the retaining washer for the bolt that holds the second half of the mount to the light. I was then able to easily fit an old exposure light mount. No wobble at all with that arrangement.

It's certainly true that there are several variations of these mounts shipped with different lights (or bought separately), and some are more robust than others. Never had one fail, though, and even the flimsier ones have worked well and not rattled or felt insecure. You do have to push the light in firmly so it is properly engaged otherwise it will definitely rattle loose.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mine arrived.

First impressions.

That battery enclosure is a pig - I can't think why anyone designed something like that - strikes me as the sort of thing a student might produce in order to seem different. A pig to open as well, Will definitely have to be careful with that and can't see me changing batteries on the road.

The polarity markings are indeed confusing - buried deep inside the recess of the battery slots.

Trying to figure out some sense in its system and the Garman lidl light I have come to the initial conclusion that the germans intend you to put the appropriate end of the battery up against the marks - ie - the Lidl light's markings face outwards/upwards, so you put the batteries in with those polarities outwards - the B&M markings are right at the bottom of the holes so you put the batteries in with the matching polarity inwards.

Have taken a note of the battery insertion pattern as no way would I be able to figure that out on the road. In the dark.

Despite all this the light has a nice feel to it - I look forward to testing the light with a sneak into my local park after hours sometime soon.

Oh - it sits very positively on my Smart light mount and clicks onto the tab/lever.

In fact strangely I have found that some non smart lights snap onto those mounts more positively than my Smart lights. Same applies to the Lidls.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Update.

Did several night rides with it a couple of weeks ago through dark country lanes.

Very impressed.

It's true that it is not a wow wow "like riding in daylight" light but I found the beam pattern excellent - good enough for me as on such trips I am often riding fully loaded, don't ride superfast and in any case prefer to take my time when night riding, particularly when going downhill.

Could see far enough ahead, both sides of the road (I have an alarming tendency to drift on unlit roads at night so helps keep me on the right side of the road!) and the light in front of the front tyre was fine so I felt absolutely no need for a separate light.

Other thoughts.

I really like the way the control button works - long press to switch on, long to switch off - any other press while on the move just switches between the two light level modes and doesn't send you through an off stage - more lights should be set up like this.

The light when fitted with fully charged batteries is, I think, supposed to display a continuous green indicator on high mode and then move to a flashing green - but I never managed to get this - just a flashing green in high mode.

Seemed odd - I was using 7day shop 2900 (non low self discharge) batteries.

Maybe I need better batteries - will try with Ikea's (possibly eneloops) 2450 batteries next time.

Can I ask what batteries you use gaz?

That catch - a total total pig.

Not a problem when batteries are in it as push with a pen or something makes the "lid" flip straight open.

Tempted to think this was the designer's party trick at meetings.

But when it's empty of batteries it is extremely difficult to open for as you press the catch you seem to be also pressing the two bits of the hinge together. Persistence and discipline to not force things is really needed.

Not sure why it was so cheap - the price seems to have shot up again.

Fair to assume that this will be the end of the line?

That they won't do any more AA lights?

If so, a real pity.

All in all an excellent light, albeit with some frustrations.

Oh - I had no problem with the mount - I always ensure that the light has clipped into place with the tab.

I can't imagine that the light would come off too well after a fall.

Many thanks for the initial post and link gaz.
Sweep
gaz

Post by gaz »

Sweep wrote:Can I ask what batteries you use gaz?

I will be running it on Sanyo EneloopX, 2480mAh. Yet to have a night run beyond my initial test. That'll change in a few weeks time.

Whilst I still dislike the bracket, I have discovered that reversing the fittings and using a spacer from my Philips makes things a little less faffy.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Look forward to hearing about your night-time test gaz.
For my next ride I will use my ikea batteries, which may very well actually be the same as your eneloops.
Sweep
gaz

Post by gaz »

First commute of the winter this evening. I had a play at switching between the battery Ixon IQ Premium 80lux and my dynamo Cyo IQ 60lux (now on a taller bracket).

My view of it has not changed. It gives out marginally more light than the Cyo, I prefer the beam shape of the latter. They're different but they're about as good as each other for my riding. The Ixon's beam shape on the ground improves if I aim it higher, but then I'm straying into dazzle territory and defeating the whole object of choosing a light with good cut off.

It was never intended to replace the dynamo. With a better run time than the Philips there will be occasions when it becomes first choice when I need to use a different bike after dark. Still glad I bought it, still glad I did not pay more.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade