Good cheap helmet

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
bp123

Good cheap helmet

Post by bp123 »

I'm looking for a helmet that'll keep me safe but ideally as cheap as possible while still maintaining protection of my head! So far I've found the below. Are these all safe? If they're all as safe as each other I'm probably going for the cheapest option:

Giro Foray Helmet, £26.99 : https://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-foray-helmet/

Tyr Helmet Red, £34.99 : https://www.raleigh.co.uk/tyr-helmet-red-13605r

Met Men's Gavilan Helmet, £21 : https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/1485 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Carnac Impact Air Aero Road Helmet, £14.99 https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECAIMPA/ ... oad-helmet

I cycle mainly on roads although I use a mountain bike.
De Sisti

Re: Good cheap helmet

Post by De Sisti »

They are all as safe as each other, so go ahead and buy the cheapest one.
bp123

Post by bp123 »

De Sisti wrote:They are all as safe as each other, so go ahead and buy the cheapest one.

Ok great thank you.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

I fear a helmet won't protect you from the minefield you've just walked into. :wink:

Most helmets offer much the same level of "safety" as each other. No helmet will keep you safe. On the subject of safety I suggest you look at the 1,000,000,000 other posts in this sub-forum.

Moving swiftly on...

Spending more generally buys you one or more of the following: comfort (and fit), ventilation, style and brand recognition. It may also get you a "crash replacement" deal where you can get a new one from the supplier at a discount price, and occasionally the option of buying replacement pads for the inside of the helmet.

I have two Carnac helmets. The MTB helmet is a bit awkward and sits quite high for the classic "I'm a mushroom-head" look, but then I only go for short, occasional MTB rides so it's fine. The Carnac Podium road helmet was bought as a stand-in while I waited for my replacement Kask helmet to turn up. It's OK but nowhere near as comfortable as the Kask - it took me ages to get the Carnac's straps adjusted properly and I had to cut one short in the end. Adjusting the chin strap is a pain, whereas with the Kask it's a simple fraction-of-a-second job.

The Carnac also feels less comfortable in some ill-defined way. That's partly a function of head shape so will vary from person to person, but again the Kask has a versatile head cradle mechanism that adjusts easily to make the helmet feel secure without being tight and is more independent of the shape of the helmet itself. But then the Kask costs more than three times as much as the Carnac.

I'm not saying Kask are the only brand who do this: it's just an example of why there are sometimes practical reasons for spending more on a pricier model from a well-known brand.

So it depends how much riding you want to do while wearing your helmet. For the occasional jaunt one of the Carnacs will be all right. If you intend to put in a lot of hours wearing the thing, invest a bit more. Giro and Met are reputable brands but if it were me I'd go a bit further up the price range.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If I were buying a helmet it would be one that's light,well ventilated,comfortable to wear and is as near as can be head shaped,with no protrusions such as a peak or sort of aero spoiler fins on the rear,as in a crash such protrusions are more likely to cause greater rotational forces increasing chances of neck injuries.

Of the one's linked to the Giro and Carnac seem closest to that criteria,once that is considered De Sisti is correct there isn't much difference really from a protection POV.
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Apr 2019, 11:42am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

AndyK wrote:I fear a helmet won't protect you from the minefield you've just walked into. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But at least you gave the OP the comprehensive answer he was hoping for.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mjr

Post by mjr »

There are no good helmets.

Notwithstanding that, I've owned Giro in the past but I think I'd check whether they're still linked to the US gun industry (I didn't know that before I bought one) before buying another of theirs - and it was one of those I wore when I developed a neck injury so it's probably not the lightest or best weight distribution. I wouldn't buy Met because one of their helmets failed independent testing by "Which?" magazine and they refused to recall it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Ooh! I can feel another helmet thread coming on :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
irc

Post by irc »

Leaving aside the merits of helmets in general I'd suggest going for comfort first then price. Decathlon do a few different at reasonable prices. As you will be wearing it for hours buy the best fitting most comfortable.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-595551-bike-helmets
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, try them on.
Best fit and best comfort are at the top of the list.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote:There are no good helmets.

I have to disagree, I'm with Kirst on this one.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

gaz wrote:
mjr wrote:There are no good helmets.

I have to disagree, I'm with Kirst on this one.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Yes, try them on. Best fit and best comfort are at the top of the list.

Best answer. :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

bp123 wrote:I'm looking for a helmet that'll keep me safe

Safe from what?

Whatever you want to be kept safe from a helmet that doesn't fit is not going to help.
A helmet that is uncomfortable won't be worn, possibly even reducing the amount you ride, so won't help.

The circumstances in which a helmet can help are actually much narrower than most people realise, the net effect appears to be ~zero, and there is evidence to suggest that they make incidents in general more likely.

They are all built down to one of a handful of standards, so you could tell which have different levels of protection if they actually admitted which standard they used - which they often don't.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Is there such a thing as CHEAP safety ????

I always laugh at the don't wear them brigade, I have come off and wearing a helmet, thank you, and I am pleased that i did, it was not serious but I would have had cuts to the head I didn't have thanks to the headgear so I will thank you to remember we all have choices don't force opposite opinion

I would only fit the best tyres to my car, not retreads ?

That said I don't consider £45-50 cheap,

Finally remember there are people like me, and my son, autistic, who can come off, and other disabled when you make your anti helmet war, many like me feel safer with them and that alone is worth a lot as people like me would not even use a bike without one, there are other sides to this not just for and against but also WHY including emotional and psychological. NOTHING is black and white.

Apologies for sounding off
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more