New words/vocab on these fora, boards..

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: New words/vocab on these fora

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:....... Just wish I dared try an e-bike so I could know what I am talking about

Don't we all wish you would :roll:

All? Plenty don't care I imagine

Forgive me I meant those you dislike so much who ride e-bikes for whatever reason that needs no qualification by anyone.

I have no earthly use for one because I can exceed 20 kmh on the level under my own steam

You'd better be careful as another 5kph and you'll be an uncontrolable danger to the public :?
Actually I do know what I am talking about a bit for I have been inconvenienced by speeding criminals on e-bikes

Who are much less a threat to public welbeing than 'motons'

Hope someone can explain simply why e-bikes are not about going faster, is the motor expensive ballast maybe?

For most people they're about convenience,for a myriad of reasons,where they wouldn't otherwise use a bicycle and perhaps would choose a car!
Though that reasoning appears to have bounced of your nut and has already been explained up thread by me.

I think Ivor is close to the truth, an e-bike is not a bike

Ivor may already be the engine ringing his.....
Alternative facts welcome :wink:

And provided many times on the forum :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

If we all had to sit down and list all the forms of land transport potentially available to us, with walking at one end of the spectrum and a TGV at the other, after walking might come something like roller skates or a scooter (foot powered), followed by varieties of pushbike, then e-bikes. After that we would get to mopeds and full-on motorbikes, cars of ascending size, buses, etc. If the availability of e-bikes gets someone to stay on the left of that spectrum, getting a bit of exercise and putting less metal on the roads, that has to be a good thing. If it allows someone to do a commute that would be too long for them on a pushbike, where's the harm? If it allows a cyclist with a chronic knee problem to carry on doing a familiar journey with a bit of power assist, great.

You will get inconsiderate people moving around by all forms of transport. I've been nearly knocked off my feet by a jogger in the past! Think of all the aggro caused by skateboarding! And the less considerate cyclists passing pedestrians too close too fast. It is not the vehicle that is the issue, it is individuals who don't think of others. An e-bike should be, and probably usually is, a liberating device to enhance life.

E-bike: (n) Life enhancing vehicle based on a bicycle but with electrical motor assistance.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Threadelec: Thread with electrically-assisted drift.

pwa wrote:...
+1.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

not a new word just wonder why it had become popular, emphasising the bodily function that goes on there - EATERY what next start calling loos or toilets shitterys or pisserys?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:
pwa wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:image.jpeg

This, apparently, is not a bike but some sort of devil's spawn.

Maybe we should be burning you at the stake! :lol:

:D

I don't top up with petrol so may be a slow burn.

The pitchforks for you then!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:not a new word just wonder why it had become popular, emphasising the bodily function that goes on there - EATERY what next start calling loos or toilets shitterys or pisserys?

As I am quite refined, I would prefer "defecatery" and micturatery".

What should we call the hankerchief? "Snotteratery" is too confusing. Is it one or is not one?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:If we all had to sit down and list all the forms of land transport potentially available to us, with walking at one end of the spectrum and a TGV at the other, after walking might come something like roller skates or a scooter (foot powered), followed by varieties of pushbike, then e-bikes. After that we would get to mopeds and full-on motorbikes, cars of ascending size, buses, etc. If the availability of e-bikes gets someone to stay on the left of that spectrum, getting a bit of exercise and putting less metal on the roads, that has to be a good thing. If it allows someone to do a commute that would be too long for them on a pushbike, where's the harm? If it allows a cyclist with a chronic knee problem to carry on doing a familiar journey with a bit of power assist, great.

You will get inconsiderate people moving around by all forms of transport. I've been nearly knocked off my feet by a jogger in the past! Think of all the aggro caused by skateboarding! And the less considerate cyclists passing pedestrians too close too fast. It is not the vehicle that is the issue, it is individuals who don't think of others. An e-bike should be, and probably usually is, a liberating device to enhance life.

E-bike: (n) Life enhancing vehicle based on a bicycle but with electrical motor assistance.

Thanks for that :wink:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:In theory I would like to try one but I can go too fast even without a motor :? don't want to cycle even faster!
See my recent thread and poll about cycling uphill or downhill
Please to keep on topic, care to post some Welsh vocab here?

I wonder how many times it has to be spelt out: an ebike will not make you go faster.

Sometimes talking to a brickwall can be more productive than to some folks on here :?

r2 has a nice line in insults, Plus One!
I am not so used to being insulted in person, probably because I am built like a brick s... :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

I wonder how many times it has to be spelt out: an ebike will not make you go faster.

Sometimes talking to a brickwall can be more productive than to some folks on here :?

r2 has a nice line in insults, Plus One!
I am not so used to being insulted in person, probably because I am built like a brick s... :wink:

Yeah right :?
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Still do not understand why having a motor is not about going faster, there are so many posts on here I do not know where to start looking

Can anyone explain simply? As far as I can see anything with a motor is not a pedal-cycle or muscle cycle
Remember when the ctc nearly embraced mopeds? The vote was very close, I remeber reading about it :? Does history repeat itself?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Still do not understand why having a motor is not about going faster, there are so many posts on here I do not know where to start looking

Can anyone explain simply? As far as I can see anything with a motor is not a pedal-cycle or muscle cycle
Remember when the ctc nearly embraced mopeds? The vote was very close, I remeber reading about it :? Does history repeat itself?

It seems you do not understand Ebikes. Today I was out for a 30k run. Much if not most of the time I was cycling significantly in excess of 22kph. That means that it was entirely muscle power as the motor had long since cut out. Going faster was simply not a factor. The motor helped me up a hill or two so to that extent I was going faster ie 10kph instead of about 5kph.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

BANES
Bath & north-east Somerset
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

BINO
Bypass in name only
(mjr)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cugel wrote:
mercalia wrote:not a new word just wonder why it had become popular, emphasising the bodily function that goes on there - EATERY what next start calling loos or toilets shitterys or pisserys?

As I am quite refined, I would prefer "defecatery" and micturatery".

What should we call the hankerchief? "Snotteratery" is too confusing. Is it one or is not one?

Cugel

Cyclery is in use already, I should like to visit a bookery and a talkery
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Grarea wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Bike-shaped object

I love this term.
I thank the cycling community for it.

It translates to so many items in life.
You get tomato shaped objects in the supermarket.
Shoe shaped objects that self destruct shortly after purchase.

Any cheap tool works the same way as they fall apart straight away if they are a screwdriver shaped object.
Someone even gave me some screw shaped objects.

BSO
Bike-shaped object
Brick-shaped object
Saw a new building, all concrete, looked awful (?)
Went by a few days later, it had been upgraded with BSOs to look quite traditional
But I know what is beneath the BSOs :wink:
SSO
Strawberry-shaped object
Gigantic pointed things, not from here, on sale in winter, really unstrawberrylike, Minus One!