Glue to fix sole of SPD shoes + tubes of patch glue

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

Glue to fix sole of SPD shoes + tubes of patch glue

Post by The utility cyclist »

Any recommendations for gluing a sole back in place, Northwave Mission, ridiculously comfy SPD shoes but had to go to my LIDL ones that I accquired a few years back from a bike purchase that were sitting in the cupboard. Have now bought another pair but would still like to use these for general walking/back up.
local shoe repair simply said no chance, have tried Araldite but it didn't last long so any suggestions would be appreciated.

And talking about glue, anyone have suggestions for a large tube of patch glue, have made my own patches so just need some glue, don't want the small ones as I end up patching everyone's incl the kids the street during the summer so prefer 25g tubes or bigger.

thanks
Oh and saw this ... £9.40 for a basic repair kit!! :shock:
Attachments
expensive puncture kit.JPG
cycleruk

Re: Glue to fix sole of SPD shoes + tubes of patch glue

Post by cycleruk »

A few years back I repaired a pair of SPD shoes with Evostick contact adhesive. Worked a treat.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
hemo

Post by hemo »

You could try Gorilla epoxy, I have found it far superior to Araldite. Whether any good for shoes who knows.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

+1 for the contact adhesive which allows flex in the materials joined whereas the araldite tends to crack.

Mike
The utility cyclist

Eyebrox wrote:https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2384805991402056089?q=rema+puncture+repair+50g+tube&client=ms-android-motorola-rev2&biw=360&bih=512&output=search&prmd=sivn&prds=opd:9714332461563562809,num:4,cs:1&tbs=vw:l,ss:44

Thanks, have just found some for £3.50 for same size https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-50ML-T ... 1438.l2649
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Shoe Goo
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

If its the hard outer sole that has come adrift then I can vote for Gorilla Glue. It's the stuff that foam a bit so goes everywhere.
As for patch glue, I just buy big tubes of the normal stuff, usually from ebay.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

I find that Stormsure is really good. Sticks with incredible force and flexible.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stormsu ... irefox-b-m
geomannie
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd recommend a visit to Wilko's - assuming you have one handy - for any adhesive problems. They stock a good range of branded and own brand stuff in a range of sizes. I've found it useful to be able to browse what's available.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

McNetts Freesole. Absolutely brilliant. Repaired a pair of walking boots with it and they lasted yonks - the repair was as strong as the rest of the sole/rand.
The utility cyclist

RobinS wrote:McNetts Freesole. Absolutely brilliant. Repaired a pair of walking boots with it and they lasted yonks - the repair was as strong as the rest of the sole/rand.

Thanks for that, it's probably not worth me spending £9 on a tube of glue for a pair of shoes that aren't worth that much but it might well be useful for more expensive boots/shoes in the future.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions on shoe glue.
Mike_Ayling wrote:+1 for the contact adhesive which allows flex in the materials joined whereas the araldite tends to crack. Mike

Mike, thanks for mentioning on why the Araldite wouldn't work for a shoe, didn't occur to me that it was too brittle :oops:
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

I used black mastic to repair a pair of work boots, still good and solid six months later
The utility cyclist

thirdcrank wrote:I'd recommend a visit to Wilko's - assuming you have one handy - for any adhesive problems. They stock a good range of branded and own brand stuff in a range of sizes. I've found it useful to be able to browse what's available.

i did see a tube of contact glue from Wilkos for a few quid that came up on a google search, I'll pop in before making a decision.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Wilko's is actually a pretty good place to start for all sorts of problems. Although I've not checked recently, when I last looked they always seemed to have 27x1¼ tyres. When my mother was still living in Armley, Leeds 12, where there are loads of terrace houses, many still with open fires, Wilko's stocked the basic stuff you would need to fix a damaged hearth.