Lightweight footwear.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
meejozzz

Lightweight footwear.

Post by meejozzz »

I’m doing a 4 day very lightweight mountain biking trip in June. I usually tour with panniers but this off-road trip is rucksack only as my full suss bike won’t permit panniers!

Space and weight is very limited and my good old Hi-Tec Zuuk trainers have just about had it and it looks like HiTec are no longer making them in size 12. They’re about the lightest shoes I’ve bet had and perfect for touring.

Any way, what other options are there out there for lightweight evening off bike footwear? As long as I can wear them in a Northumbrian pub!
gbnz

Re: Lightweight footwear.

Post by gbnz »

meejozzz wrote: lightweight evening off bike footwear? As long as I can wear them in a Northumbrian pub!

I'm presuming you'll be heading for the hilly parts of Northumberland?

If so, you may have problems whatever you wear (NB. I recall the letting agent six years ago who admitted the locals (2 familes) thought I was weird :shock: . I cycled a bicycle into town virtually every day :shock: I was seen going out for a run once :shock: I got rid of the pigeons who were crapping all over my road bike when in the wood shed, but had to ask the gamekeeper to shoot one - I don't have a gun :shock:.

And I'm male but did my own food shopping :shock: (I literally overheard a staff member in the relevant supermarket alerting the "floor manager", that that gentleman (Me) was in the store :wink: (Nb. I only ever buy fresh fish, vegetables, don't buy crates of beer or bottles of cheap spirits. And I don't smoke :roll: ). Weird or what. Oh yeah and I always cycled to the supermarket in question
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

We’re doing the Sandstone Way, with add-ons - so we’re in Wooler, Rothbury and Bellingham before Hexham then back along the Tyne to Newcastle (We’re all from Newcastle anyway).

Thankfully all of our b&bs all sound geared up for clarty cyclists. Anyway, it’s going to be a totally scorching heatwave 8) Just need some lightweight shoes!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The latest trend for the mesh knitted trainers can be amazingly light weight. A pair of those are coming to Italy with me in a couple of weeks.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Not the cheapest option, but when I did a similar trip last year I got a pair of shoes from here: https://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk. It also depends on whether you get on with barefoot shoes.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Desert boots?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

meejozzz wrote:……..Any way, what other options are there out there for lightweight evening off bike footwear? As long as I can wear them in a Northumbrian pub!

Why not your bike shoes?
freiston

Post by freiston »

531colin wrote:
meejozzz wrote:……..Any way, what other options are there out there for lightweight evening off bike footwear? As long as I can wear them in a Northumbrian pub!

Why not your bike shoes?

I was wondering that. There are plenty nowadays that wouldn't look out of place with mufti in a pub - I just spotted these Shimano SH-CT5 which I haven't seen before and £65.50 ain't a bad price (cheaper trainer-style shoes can be found):

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/shimano-sh- ... es-2662932

Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

meejozzz wrote:I’m doing a 4 day very lightweight mountain biking trip in June. I usually tour with panniers but this off-road trip is rucksack only as my full suss bike won’t permit panniers!

Space and weight is very limited and my good old Hi-Tec Zuuk trainers have just about had it and it looks like HiTec are no longer making them in size 12. They’re about the lightest shoes I’ve bet had and perfect for touring.

Any way, what other options are there out there for lightweight evening off bike footwear? As long as I can wear them in a Northumbrian pub!

Either use your cycling shoes, or failing that, flip-flops will take up the least space and weight and are probably available in your local pound shop. If they're not quite the thing then Teva Floats are very light. It's June, they should be okay.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
RickH

Post by RickH »

AMMoffat wrote:Not the cheapest option, but when I did a similar trip last year I got a pair of shoes from here: https://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk. It also depends on whether you get on with barefoot shoes.

How have you found them, particularly sizing.

They were on my radar as a possible option to replace an a pair of very light Inov8 shoes (officially sold as "recovery shoes" for after fell running).

Inov8 don't do the shoes I've got but do do some quite light ones (& helpfully their weight is in the name, so a "Parkclaw 240" is a 240 g shoe)

Another light option that are somewhat cheaper (RRP isn't but they seem to be on sale at much reduced cost around the place) are the Merrell Vapor Glove range.

No direct experience of any of them yet (apart from my old - around 2010/11 - Inov8s).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

What's wrong with wearing your SPD shoes to the pub - I often do. On a three month tour I have just SPD shoes and very lightweight open sandals or flip flops, I certainly wouldn't cart trainers around.
althebike

Post by althebike »

Why not a cheap pair of running shoes, they are often lighter than flip flops , and can be stuffed with spare socks and toiletries so will not take up much extra space.
PH

Post by PH »

I don't often take extra shoes, but when I do it's Crocs, cheap, light, can be tied on the outside of the bike and who's looking at your shoes in the pub anyway.
RickH

Post by RickH »

RobinS wrote:What's wrong with wearing your SPD shoes to the pub - I often do. On a three month tour I have just SPD shoes and very lightweight open sandals or flip flops, I certainly wouldn't cart trainers around.

It depends on a number of factors.

I generally wouldn't want to walk too far in SPD shoes, although it does depend on the shoes (& how far the pub is). Also, if I'm doing a significant amount of walking, I'd rather not be wearing out my SPD soles in the process. The vivobarefoot shoes may well be lighter & pack smaller than sandals (albeit more expensive than a lot of sandals).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

RickH wrote:
AMMoffat wrote:Not the cheapest option, but when I did a similar trip last year I got a pair of shoes from here: https://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk. It also depends on whether you get on with barefoot shoes.

How have you found them, particularly sizing.

They were on my radar as a possible option to replace an a pair of very light Inov8 shoes (officially sold as "recovery shoes" for after fell running).

Inov8 don't do the shoes I've got but do do some quite light ones (& helpfully their weight is in the name, so a "Parkclaw 240" is a 240 g shoe)

Another light option that are somewhat cheaper (RRP isn't but they seem to be on sale at much reduced cost around the place) are the Merrell Vapor Glove range.

No direct experience of any of them yet (apart from my old - around 2010/11 - Inov8s).

I found them true to size, I'm a size 8, and very wide which is a requirement for my feet. Indeed it is rare that I can buy the ladies model of shoes, as I did with these, because they are always too narrow. If the men's ones are too wide, try the ladies versions. I also considered a pair of Inov8s but find these generally too narrow for me, even in mens.
Last edited by AMMoffat on 7 May 2019, 11:11am, edited 2 times in total.