Goyt Valley one-way system

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Chris Jeggo

Goyt Valley one-way system

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Are cycles exempt vehicles between Derbyshire Bridge and Errwood Hall car park? In other words, is it OK to ride down the valley?
Oggi

Re: Goyt Valley one-way system

Post by Oggi »

In theory no. Some cyclists do and annoy the locals. There is little point as it brings you to a bottom where you have the choice of two very steep hills out. You can cycle down the side of Fernilee reservoir but it is not strictly legal. There is a bridle way on the Western side but well above the reservoir.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Thanks, Oggi

What about on summer Sundays and bank holidays, 10.30 am to 5.30 pm, when the road "is closed to visitor traffic, except for emergency services, special permit holders, cyclists, walkers and horse riders" (Goyt Valley Visitor Guide)?

Not worried about the steep hills - I was thinking of riding back up the same hill, it's a lovely road.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I'm local and it's one of my favourite roads.

I've only descended it once, late one evening when deserted and in all honesty I wouldn't recommend it - you need to be really careful as people ascending won't expect you, you can't get any speed up at all.

I particularly would caution *against* riding down when closed as the road can be littered with families with young children.

Where are you starting from? If you're just planning the down and back up and no further then doing a round from Buxton instead would probably make sense.
Oggi

Post by Oggi »

If you are not worried about steep hills then The routes through Jenkin Chapel are brill. It is much better to ride up the Goyt from Erwood Hall. I regularly do a round from Buxton, only an hour but one of the most beautiful rides in England. Also great riding down through Macclesfield Forest and Wildbouclough.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Chris Jeggo wrote:Thanks, Oggi

What about on summer Sundays and bank holidays, 10.30 am to 5.30 pm, when the road "is closed to visitor traffic, except for emergency services, special permit holders, cyclists, walkers and horse riders" (Goyt Valley Visitor Guide)?

It's decades since I was a local, although it was one way even then. On the face of it, though, it's one way. Bikes are subject to one way street instructions like everything else. The fact that everything else is then banned at some times is irrelevant. It's still one way for anything that is allowed.

And, as others said, the emergency vehicles, pedestrians and so on that are there won't be expecting you to appear from the wrong direction.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Thanks, Everyone, for your advice.

I am planning rides for a group which will be staying in Hartington and Hulme End. I have removed the "down the Goyt Valley to the reservoir and back up to Derbyshire Bridge" section from the draft ride which contained it and added an extra bit through Wildboarclough and Allgreave. And I have added another ride through Buxton to Bunsall Incline and up the Goyt Valley.

Thanks once again.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Wish I was joining you :-)