At the next General Election will you vote for the current MP should he/she/it be standing again?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

At the next General Election will you vote for the current MP should he/she/it be standing again?

Yes
22%
No
59%
Maybe
6%
Dont Know
13%

Total votes: 32

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PMQ
Liaison committee chairwoman Sarah Wollaston asks whether Mrs May would consider a further referendum on a deal.

"I'm afraid I haven't changed my view on this," Mrs May says.

"The British people said we want to leave the European Union...

"I don't think it's right to say to people: 'think again'."

Ms Wollaston asks: "How can you be sure this is the will of the people unless you go back to the people?"

"They just want us to get on and do it," Mrs May said of the British public.

Such a reply is so depressing?

I have an easy choice as my MP didnt vote to activate Article 50, one of just 100 or so that didnt. she has clean hands

List of MPs who voted to activate Article 50 and those who didnt
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 58291.html
Last edited by mercalia on 1 May 2019, 7:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycleruk

Re: At the next General Election will you vote for the current MP should he/she/it be standing again?

Post by cycleruk »

What's the use of voting if the wishes of the people are not followed. :?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
661-Pete

Re: At the next General Election will you vote for the current MP should he/she/it be standing again?

Post by 661-Pete »

I have never voted conservative. Therefore the question is irrelevant to me.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

661-Pete wrote:I have never voted conservative. Therefore the question is irrelevant to me.

Ditto.

Though a plain answer, which I gave, is no. I did not vote for him last time, and no way would I vote for him next time.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It might change at next GE for us. If it does the party of the new mp would cause me to vote no in a similar poll for the ge after next.

Roundabout way of saying there's no good candidate or party but at least the incumbent is unlikely to be as bad as the alternative. At least his Westminster career so far has been about not doing anything to get noticed.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, It would be more appropriate if my M.P. stood for the Kinneset, only ever speaks about Anti-Semitism!
She is apparently unable to differentiate between that and Anti-Zionism.
So maybe she counterbalances the Jezza stance?
She won't stand a cat in hell's chance if she doesn't stand on a Labour & Co-operative ticket. TTFN MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:I have never voted conservative. Therefore the question is irrelevant to me.

well as I said 500 or so of the mps of all parties, Labour and Tory voted to activate Article 50 so it is not just the fault of May or the torys we are where we are now, it is also those Labour mps who voted to activate Article 50. Was your mp one of those?

List of MPs who voted to activate Article 50 and those who didnt
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 58291.html
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mike Sales wrote:

Ditto.

Though a plain answer, which I gave, is no. I did not vote for him last time, and no way would I vote for him next time.

Anyone here a conservative supporter living in a labour constituency? :wink:
Could be three years till the next GE, maybe the PurgaTories shall hang on as long as possible like Major did, he was punished, Bliar won!

Best to vote in the EU elections while one still has the chance

I predict years (decades?) of chaos, Minus One
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Our MP is a Tory.
Why on Earth would I vote Tory?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Merc

Have you heard something I've missed? Around here we have local elections tomorrow and European elections in three weeks (barring a precipitate Brexit.) AFAIK, The next GE isn't for another three years, although that is likely to change.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Likewise.

Ian
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Ditto.

Anyone here a conservative supporter living in a labour constituency? :wink:
Could be three years till the next GE, maybe the PurgaTories shall hang on as long as possible like Major did, he was punished, Bliar won!

Best to vote in the EU elections while one still has the chance

I predict years (decades?) of chaos, Minus One

One of the great myths...

The number of people who actually voted for Blair in his "Landslide" was less than the number who voted for MAjor in the previous election... in Theory Major had the greater support and mandate
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's about how you play the system. Ranking targets and putting resources into battles you can win I guess. Labour was a slick operation with Campbell, Blair and Brown, with Mandelsohn helping out too. Is Mandelsohn a little like JRM for the tories, an annoying little worm people wish hadn't got into politics!

Local elections coming up then EP ones. Protest vote time? Mep election will lead to an mep that's going it before the end of their term. Would they actually go into the European Parliament anyway? Worth doing?
irc

Post by irc »

It's not just about the Tories. In Scotland an important decision in many constituencies in the general election is whether to vote for the SNP or the best placed unionist candidate. Last time my SNP MP got beaten by a Lib Dem. I voted for the Lib Dem tactically even though I disagreed with some of her policies. Even more vital in the Scottish Parliament elections.

The independence referendum was a once in a generation vote ............. until the SNP lost.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotla ... pportunity

So unfortunately some of the other problems here need to take a back seat to the constant talk of Indref 2.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

irc wrote:It's not just about the Tories. In Scotland an important decision in many constituencies in the general election is whether to vote for the SNP or the best placed unionist candidate. Last time my SNP MP got beaten by a Lib Dem. I voted for the Lib Dem tactically even though I disagreed with some of her policies. Even more vital in the Scottish Parliament elections.

The independence referendum was a once in a generation vote ............. until the SNP lost.

Or until it was established that one of the strongest arguments made by those supporting the union was soon to become completely the opposite. I’m not eligible to vote in any Scotland Independence referendum (so just an observer) but I can see important promises so quickly becoming untrue as justification for another referendum.

Ian