At the next General Election will you vote for the current MP should he/she/it be standing again?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

At the next General Election will you vote for the current MP should he/she/it be standing again?

Yes
22%
No
59%
Maybe
6%
Dont Know
13%

Total votes: 32

Cyril Haearn

Re: At the next General Election will you vote for the current MP should he/she/it be standing again?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Blair won by the rules, like Trump, the PotUS got fewer votes but more states, Clinton knew how the electoral system worked but got many 'wasted' votes
Bit like winning the points jersey in the TdF, if one may mention cycling, why that is much worse, one could win the race without winning a single stage :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Re: At the next General Election will you vote for the current MP should he/she/it be standing again?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

cycleruk wrote:What's the use of voting if the wishes of the people are not followed. :?

What’s the use of a brain if you can’t change your mind as circumstances change?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

661-Pete wrote:I have never voted conservative. Therefore the question is irrelevant to me.

Same here. I'd sooner chop my fingers off. I shall vote for current Labour incumbent should he stand again - altho' with a slightly heavy heart given that he did vote for Article 50. The worst Labour candidate is a better, more decent, person than the "best" Tory.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I never voted labour.

But some on here regret even that they ever voted labour the first time, refusing to vote the second and third.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

djnotts wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I have never voted conservative. Therefore the question is irrelevant to me.

Same here. I'd sooner chop my fingers off. I shall vote for current Labour incumbent should he stand again - altho' with a slightly heavy heart given that he did vote for Article 50. The worst Labour candidate is a better, more decent, person than the "best" Tory.

Mcdonnell, Trickett bloke, Blair, Brown, etc. All examples IMHO who prove that statement is wrong. YMMV.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:But some on here regret even that they ever voted labour the first time, refusing to vote the second and third.
I voted labour right up until John Smith's death. Not since. But I don't regret having voted Labour at that time. It was a different party with different policies - and the political agenda was different in those days. No Brex**it to worry about!

Others may have regrets - but it's not for me to intrude.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
RickH

Post by RickH »

Bolton West is a bit of a swing seat - 936 majority last time for the Conservative incumbent, Chris Green. But I think the only time I could vote Tory was if their only opposition was the Brexit/UKIP/EDL lot. I don't think I could bring myself to vote Labour at the moment (though I think they will more than likely win here, the seat was Labour before the last GE) unless they show some sort of clear alternative to the current muddle.

In a bit of a quandary for the local elections. My usual rule is that if a candidate can't even be bothered to put a leaflet through the door then they don't get my vote. We've only had stuff from Labour &, while the local candidates are good, I'm not sure I want to vote Labour.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We've only had an independent put a leaflet through the door. I don't think they are bothered. The one that did is a protest candidate one of the main parties kicked out I think.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Ditto.

Though a plain answer, which I gave, is no. I did not vote for him last time, and no way would I vote for him next time.

Anyone here a conservative supporter living in a labour constituency? :wink:
Could be three years till the next GE, maybe the PurgaTories shall hang on as long as possible like Major did, he was punished, Bliar won!

Best to vote in the EU elections while one still has the chance

I predict years (decades?) of chaos, Minus One

One of the great myths...

The number of people who actually voted for Blair in his "Landslide" was less than the number who voted for MAjor in the previous election... in Theory Major had the greater support and mandate

So what? The UK system is decided on the total number of MPs. These are elected by each constituency not on the overall number of votes cast.
There are various anomalies for example in the 1951 general election the Tories won over 20 more seats than Labour yet nationally the latter had more votes.

My MP is Nick Boles - somehow I don't think he'll be reselected....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
cycleruk wrote:What's the use of voting if the wishes of the people are not followed. :?

What’s the use of a brain if you can’t change your mind as circumstances change?

In 2012 David Davis said "If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy."
In 2016 Nigel Farage said “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way."
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I cannot think why anyone would vote for my MP, Anne-Marie Trevelyan, Tory. But they will.

Just a week or so ago, in her weekly local newspaper article, after declaring week by week that she was voting against the Brexit deal (she is a member of the quaintly named ERG), she said how she was voting got May's deal even though it wasn't the Brexit people voted for.

As far as I recall people didn't get to vote for any particular deal and she opposes a vote to see if people like the negotiated deal.

But she will be re-elected in a GE.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I don't know who all the candidates standing in my constituency will be,so how can I make that decision now?
That said I most definitely won't be voting for a Tory candidate,and possibly not a Labour one either,it all depends on who else is standing.

FWIW I believe UK politics is exploding and not before time,my fear is of the rise of the utra/extreme right,voted for by people so frustrated with the present status quo they'll vote for anyone opposed to it.
There's a void that may be filled with evildoers given enough support by money and madwo/men.
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 May 2019, 10:51am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

My local MP is Andrea Leadsom. Looks like Monster Raving looney get my vote again.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Today I get to vote for a mayor.

Only two candidates mention the environment: Labour and the Lib Dems. So one of them get my vote. But which?

I've never before voted tactically but this year perhaps. Anything to stop the Tories. Labour are most likely to win.
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Tangled Metal wrote:We've only had an independent put a leaflet through the door. I don't think they are bothered. The one that did is a protest candidate one of the main parties kicked out I think.

I just voted for my local parish councillor, he used to be Conservative now is independent?
I'm not even sure what independent really means to be honest. I've always voted him in he's a good guy, Put it this way he spends his time working on the job not prating around.
My local MP is Wollaston Not sure who I'll be voting next time.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.