Search for Hither

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
thirdcrank

Search for Hither

Post by thirdcrank »

I've just posted an update to the thread about the incident at Hither Green last year. To retrieve the thread, I unsuccessfully searched for hither and then Hither. I found it by sreaching my own posts for green.

I fear I may be losing it. :(
reohn2

Re: Search for Hither

Post by reohn2 »

Hitherto you seem to be OK :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's had me running - or rather walking - hither and thither.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Not to and froe then :wink:
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

Start at Lewisham, head south :wink:.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:I've just posted an update to the thread about the incident at Hither Green last year. To retrieve the thread, I unsuccessfully searched for hither and then Hither.
How odd?
Very strange indeed.
Just tried it my self, searching for "Hither" and it results in Nothing Found.

Weird indeed.
Maybe Admin can suggest a fix?
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

I tried it and no problems - lots of posts about WWII and Godwin's law etc etc.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There was a recent thread about this, I couldnae find Ipley Cross :?
Maybe smart phones search differently, would a g****le search work better?

If no-one has read or posted on a thread for a while, does it sink to the silty bottom of the pool? Unsticky threads?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

horizon wrote:I tried it and no problems - lots of posts about WWII and Godwin's law etc etc.

I'm not sure who's being humorous here. I'd have expected that result with Hitler, rather than hither, but pehaps that's the point about Godwin's Law. One way or another, I searched for a normal word, albeit a rather archaic one, which is on the forum and it came back negative. In terms of that word it's trivial, but for me it raises doubts about the search facility.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:....... In terms of that word it's trivial, but for me it raises doubts about the search facility.

I've long since thought the search facility to be somewhat lacking on the forum but as the forum is a free subscription thought I couldn't complain.Not that I'm complaining you're complaining IYSWIM.
I'll retreat thither
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

thirdcrank wrote:
horizon wrote:I tried it and no problems - lots of posts about WWII and Godwin's law etc etc.

I'm not sure who's being humorous here. I'd have expected that result with Hitler, rather than hither, but pehaps that's the point about Godwin's Law. One way or another, I searched for a normal word, albeit a rather archaic one, which is on the forum and it came back negative. In terms of that word it's trivial, but for me it raises doubts about the search facility.

Sorry, thirdcrank, my attempt at humour. But you are right in that the search facility doesn't work well - I rarely find things I want with it. Using Google actually produces better results and will often flag up the forum even if not entered into the search terms (typos notwithstanding of course :wink: :oops: :) ).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gaz

Post by gaz »

thirdcrank wrote:I searched for a normal word, ... for me it raises doubts about the search facility.
The forum search facility is run by the Knights of Ni. We all know and understand that they will refuse to search for the word "It" for they are forbidden to hear "It".

They are also unwilling to return results when asked to search for the words Hither, Their, There, Either, Neither, and Others (and possibly others :wink:).

Surprisingly they will give results for Ether.

I know not why the search engine has such quirks, it has had them for a very long time :mrgreen: .

Edit 7/4/21: Following a recent update to the forum the Knights of Ni have been sacked and possibly replaced by Ralph the Wonder Llama. Ralph knows no bounds.
Last edited by gaz on 7 Apr 2021, 11:49pm, edited 2 times in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Try putting in the word 'quirk'! :shock:
W H Auden