More Marathon woes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peetee

More Marathon woes

Post by peetee »

I've not had a great deal of success with Schwalbe tyres. Several Marathons have been miss-shapen, Delta Cruiser and Road Cruiser tyres have cracked sidewalls within months and now I have had a second Marathon that has failed at the tyre bead following a small amount of unavoidable damage when fitting (with Schwalbe tyre levers) because they were so tight.
Attachments
IMG_0851.jpg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
jimlews

Re: More Marathon woes

Post by jimlews »

Also had problems with Schwalbe - wire bead puncturing the innertube; brand new tyres. I don't buy the brand anymore.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

ah!, opposite experience for moi.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=106290.0
Yvonned

Post by Yvonned »

Sorry to read these messages about Schwalbe as I’ve had years of use. My current tyres Marathon have covered about 7000 miles with no punctures. The previous gave me 10000 miles plus with 1 puncture.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think there is a fundamental problem with the sizing on a lot of modern 584 rims. The few times I've mounted a 584 Marathon on a 'known good' rim it hasn't been a tight fit.

Currently marathons in other sizes (622, 590) seem to be well sized and are not a struggle on most rims.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

Brucey wrote:I think there is a fundamental problem with the sizing on a lot of modern 584 rims.

Oh bum. That means a claim against Schwalbe is going to be difficult.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

peetee wrote:I've not had a great deal of success with Schwalbe tyres. Several Marathons have been miss-shapen, Delta Cruiser and Road Cruiser tyres have cracked sidewalls within months and now I have had a second Marathon that has failed at the tyre bead following a small amount of unavoidable damage when fitting (with Schwalbe tyre levers) because they were so tight.

Those tubeless ready rims can be a so and so to get tyres on. I doubt your problems will be entirely limited to Schwalbe. Perhaps have a search around for fitting tight tyre videos etc. That Mavic rim doesn't seem to have much of a well for the tyre to drop into during fitting. Tyre seating tools are available too, though I've never tried them.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have been meaning to follow up on my post for a while and this has prompted me to do so.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128478&p=1330878#p1330878
I absolutely had to do something about my tyres, they were nigh on impossible to get on and off my rims and hurt my hands when I did so, so I thought I would look at a different tyre, and I’m jolly glad I did so.
I bought a pair of Continental Contact Plus Reflex tyres as luck would have it and they were a doddle to fit, they went on by hand without the use of levers and straps etc.
I have covered about a 1000km on them now and am very please with them and will use them from now on.
Beauty will save the world.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

peetee wrote:
Brucey wrote:I think there is a fundamental problem with the sizing on a lot of modern 584 rims.

Oh bum. That means a claim against Schwalbe is going to be difficult.

When the new standard comes in force the rule will be that if the rim is to the dimensions in the new standard and there is a problem with the fit of the tyre, it will be by default the tyre manufacturer's fault. However rims made in the last five years or so claiming to be 'tubeless ready' can vary somewhat in size so may well be the thing that is at fault here.

If you want to know which it is, take the wheel rim and roll it out exactly one turn and measure the distance accurately. If you can measure this distance to within 1mm then you will have determined the rim outside diameter to within about 0.3mm . I keep an aluminium extrusion of a convenient shape precisely for such measurements. Then measure the drop to the bead seat (to within 0.1mm) and adjust the diameter reading accordingly. If (for a 650B rim) the actual bead seat diameter comes between 583 and 584mm and the well/lip are of a normal size then the rim is 'good'.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

The tyre pictured was responsible for another problem too. The inner surface is not evenly coated with rubber and in two areas at least the brown coloured (aramid ?) tyre casing fibres are visible and have roughened up the inner tube enough to cause deflation.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Yes, the rim manufacturers don't seem to be able to get consistent rim sizes. I've had the same model 584 rims, purchased at different times, and so presumably from different batches, have diameters differing by about 0.5mm.