UK to Finland- looking for advise on routes etc

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hippyonwheels

UK to Finland- looking for advise on routes etc

Post by hippyonwheels »

I'm looking into the logistics of cycling from the UK to Finland. Anybody know of any blogs etc as a useful starting point?

Or are there any long distance routes that we could pick up?

Thinking to get a ferry across to Hook of Holland and then make it up from there but open to other options.

Any advise gratefully received.
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)
CliveyT

Re: UK to Finland- looking for advise on routes etc

Post by CliveyT »

A bit more information would be useful-
where in Finland?
How long have you got?
Budget/ how much ferry do you want? (yes there is a land-route, but it's a lot longer, especially if your target is something like Helsinki)
hamster

Post by hamster »

First question:which way - via Scandinavia or through Poland and Russia on the south of the Baltic?
Second question: what time of year?
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

http://www.eurovelo.com/en/eurovelos shows Eurovelo routes - combine a few of those and it would get you from Hook to Finland.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You could try looking at Ross Turner's posts on CrazyGuyonaBike http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/director ... tcoast&v=A or contact him on there.

He used to post on here as Helsinkifox. He's British & living in Helsinki, and has done a couple of different versions of routes between the UK and Finland.

Otherwise, I live in Norway & have toured in Sweden & Norway. I'm happy to offer advice if you choose a Scandinavian route.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hippyonwheels

Post by hippyonwheels »

Thanks for your replies guys, some useful follow ups there. It would be next summer and I'm very open route wise, probably have about 6 weeks. Heading to Helisinki :)
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)
nsew

Post by nsew »

Hook of Holland, Amsterdam, Groningen, Bremen, Hamburg, Compenhagen, Helsingor-Helsingborg ferry, Gothenburg, Gota Canal, Stockholm, Kapellskär-Mariehamn ferry, Turku, Helsinki. That’s the way I did it a few years back. Great ride, fondly remembered.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Actually started in central Brittany, Nantes-Brest canal, Eurovelo 6 (Loire) to Mullhouse, the Rhine to eastern Holland, Groningen. Returned via Tallinn, Riga, Daugavpils, Vilnius, Warsaw, Prague, Stuttgart, Paris, Bretagne.