First JOGLE in May 2019

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
FasterFerret

Re: First JOGLE in May 2019

Post by FasterFerret »

Ajax Bay wrote:
FasterFerret wrote:Well, there's a reason that the traditional way is LE>JOG and that all the records set go South to North.
The prevailing wind is a factor to be considered. Yes, you could get a still fortnight. You might well get Northerly winds, but the prevailing wind is Southerly. It is definitely a factor to be considered in planning.

See this article:
Seasonal variation of the prevailing wind direction in Britain
https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/d ... 02/wea.301
"Conclusions
The main conclusion to be drawn is that in Britain, northeasterly winds are at least as
common in spring as southwesterly winds, and in some years are considerably more so.
. . . this has implications for a [cyclist] making the journey . . . . from Land’s End to John O’Groats."

So the OP choosing to undertake JOGLE in May is choosing the month least likely to have headwinds (on balance).

That's a really interesting read. Thanks for posting.

You are always going to be in the hands of the weather gods, but it seems that they might be a bit more on your side if you do JOGLE in spring, and that is definitely worth knowing.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

puffin wrote:
Spinners wrote:Tackling those steep Cornish hills right at the end? Ouch!

..but by then I should be at my fittest???? What do you reckon??

At your most fatigued more like :wink:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
puffin

Post by puffin »

Sheeez Spinners, you're in a glass half empty mood today! :)
puffin

Post by puffin »

Got all my ducks in a row (where does that expression come from??) and am off on 13th. Had my bike serviced not by H'fords this time, but by a local mechanic...its now a Nija bike, silently gliding round local roads. Just bought my first ever cycling bib.....er, I don't think its for me. Off on the sleeper, then two gentle days of about 55 miles each, before upping it to 74 on day 3, then anything between 63 and 72 for the remainder. Soon after I get back I'm away horse riding for a week, so my training has been mixed between a bike and a horse.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Have you got Mick F's number in case you get lost on the Forth road bridge! :oops: :oops:
BruceJ

Post by BruceJ »

Strong NNE winds today with wintry showers but forecast to be back to westerlies on 11th (XC weather) - that's for NW Scotland. Good luck Puffin.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Best of luck!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Good Luck mate keep us updated!

Cheers James
puffin

Post by puffin »

philvantwo wrote:Have you got Mick F's number in case you get lost on the Forth road bridge! :oops: :oops:

Huh???

Last time I crossed it I felt like I was in a post apocalyptic zombie movie, it was deserted.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Thanks for all the good wishes, I'll keep the forum posted. Hope everyone eles's cycling is going well too.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Horse riding for a week, please report on that too
Think I know enough about lejostics already :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

puffin wrote:Thanks for all the good wishes, I'll keep the forum posted. Hope everyone eles's cycling is going well too.

Looks like a decent long range forecast. Good luck!
puffin

Post by puffin »

puffin wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Have you got Mick F's number in case you get lost on the Forth road bridge! :oops: :oops:

Huh???

Last time I crossed it I felt like I was in a post apocalyptic zombie movie, it was deserted.

Here's what it looked like
https://youtu.be/DCkYrBDuyDo
puffin

Post by puffin »

...and the weather forecasts are really positive too.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

puffin wrote:

Huh???

I think Phil is referring to the fact that after leaving the roundabout and going down the sliproad to the access road either side of the bridge (pedestrian/cycling) they sometimes have closed it. No warnings at all until you try to get on the pedestrian/cycle lane.
They are access and maintenance lanes and sometimes they close one to the public and leave the other one open.

Two options:
Back up the wrong way up the sliproad and go down the wrong way down the other slip road to the "wrong side" of the bridge.
Haul your bike and luggage down the steps, under the bridge dual carriageway, then up the steps to the other side.

This has happened to me twice (going north and coming south) on my LEJOG and BACK 2006, and also on my JOGLE of the Raleigh Chopper coming south 2010. That's three times. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall