Ciclovia Svizzera Mare from Imperia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Altcarpark

Ciclovia Svizzera Mare from Imperia

Post by Altcarpark »

Hello All,
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of cycling the BI15 (ciclovia Svizzera Mare) north from Imperia over the Colle di Nava? I'm currently touring in Provence and would like to find an easyish way to the Po valley.
Thanks!
Andy
MartinP

Re: Ciclovia Svizzera Mare from Imperia

Post by MartinP »

I have cycled south to Imperia via this route twice. It's a fast busy road in sections with long unfriendly tunnels etc. Coming down is not so bad because of the momentum but I have never fancied climbing it. It's also quite steep in sections needless to say! IMHO I would carry along the coast to Genoa and then head north. That's the way I cycled 2 years ago and it's a far more pleasant route.
Altcarpark

Post by Altcarpark »

Thanks MartinP, that's an amazingly quick reply and really helpful...I think riding north from Genoa would suit us much better. Do you have any more details on that ride you did 2 years ago? Did you use the Bochetta Pass, or is there another way to go?

Thanks again,
Andy
jacksonz

Post by jacksonz »

Ride along the coast road towards Genoa until Albenga and then turn inland and head to the Po. https://www.cyclingeurope.nl/routes/riviera/index.php
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

No, I cycled along the SP 35 to Busalla etc. Depends if you want steep mountain passes, I just wanted to get to Venice quickest and easiest way.
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

The route was gentle on the limbs with only a few steeper sections.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

We cycled right along the coast past Genoa to Sestri Levante and crossed the Passo Cento Croci to Borgo Val di Taro, then on to Parma. Really nice quiet route on hardly used roads, climbs just over 1000m in 42km from the coast.
Altcarpark

Post by Altcarpark »

These all look like really great options. We're definitely not wanting to tackle steep passes if we can avoid it, so this gives us some more viable choices...thanks everyone!
Altcarpark

Post by Altcarpark »

Update: We followed MartinP's advice and took the SP35 from Genoa(ish) through Busalla and down. As advertised, it was a relatively relaxed route, going up to about 425m at the Passo drive Giovi. There are one or two sections up to the town of Giovi which are 7-8% for short periods, but nothing too bad. There are good views up there.

As to be expected, there's a bit of traffic around Genoa but once you're on the SP35 it's pretty quiet. We stayed in a B&B in Arquata Scrivia, which was a nice enough town, but it's an easy ride down to bigger places like Tortona.

Thanks MartinP and everyone else who offered advice.
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

Pleased the route was OK for you. It's a lovely part of the world. Safe journey.