Broken Campag Veloce Levers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Moonraker Mike

Broken Campag Veloce Levers

Post by Moonraker Mike »

My ergopower veloce levers (2013) have started shifting up several sprockets and so need to be repaired or replaced. It seems this is a common problem. If I buy a new shifter body will I get the same problem in the future? Is there a better shifter I could get that might be more reliable?
Brucey

Re: Broken Campag Veloce Levers

Post by Brucey »

2013 Veloce I think is '10s Powershift'. This lever design is pretty terrible; the fault you describe is very common. Annoyingly it is caused by a part that must cost, oooh, about 10p to make, but campag decided to make it so that you can't change this part by itself.... :roll:

I am told that you can in some cases replace a PS lever bracket/innards with an Ultrashift one and therefore have a more reliable shifter. If you use the right parts the shifter is virtually unchanged in appearance, too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Moonraker Mike wrote:My ergopower veloce levers (2013) have started shifting up several sprockets and so need to be repaired or replaced. It seems this is a common problem. If I buy a new shifter body will I get the same problem in the future? Is there a better shifter I could get that might be more reliable?

As Brucey says. Veloce ergos are very poor.

Replace the internal with Centraur parts EC-CE200 and EC-CE201. https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/campagnolo-10-speed-ergo-ultra-shift-shift-shifter-body-centaur-ec-ce200-and-ec-ce201

I successfully did this as described here https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=112357&start=60#p1153729
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

LinusR wrote:
Moonraker Mike wrote:My ergopower veloce levers (2013) have started shifting up several sprockets and so need to be repaired or replaced. It seems this is a common problem. If I buy a new shifter body will I get the same problem in the future? Is there a better shifter I could get that might be more reliable?

As Brucey says. Veloce ergos are very poor.

only if they are PS or ES type. In many model years they are not. AFAICT Linus's repair uses older US internals; in most model years Veloce US internals use exactly the same internal parts as Centaur ones. Similarly Centaur PS is just as crap as Veloce PS is.

cheers
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

It's easy to describe the lower end of Campagnolo levers as "poor" or "not lasting long".
The truth is that are made to a price point and relatively cheap to replace, if you compare the price to a Shimano or Sram replacement for shifters there is a big price difference.
I still believe that Campagnolo should have made two of the internal parts out of metal, but this too is not a proof against wrong installation: most "modern" (?) frames have terrible routing for the gear cables, which does result in lots of friction and stiff operation of the gear lever to boot. This is not only bad for ergonomics, but especially wears out the internals of the shifters.
When correctly fitted and used, those shifters can last many years.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

since the problems arise when the thumb button is operated and/or the RD pulls 'too hard' for the feeble shifter guts, it seems to me that the only way cables can shorten the life of these shifters is if they are 'too good'. The only shifters of this type I have seen that have lasted 'many years' are ones that weren't used much. Campag own other brands they could use on substandard stuff like this and it is a source of some surprise to me that they didn't do so.

cheers
Moonraker Mike

Post by Moonraker Mike »

Thanks all for your replies. Looks like replacing with ultrashift inners will be the best option for me.
Steve

Post by Steve »

If you mean that pressing the R hand thumb lever down drops you several sprockets at a time instead of just one, you may well find (as I did) that simply applying pressure with the middle finger on the other lever at the same time lets you control shifting perfectly. I've been doing that for years with my Veloce levers of similar vintage.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Dead Ergos make lovely brake levers, for people using d/t and barcon shifters.
EPS levers are especially nice, fewer gubbins inside.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++