Sleeping bag

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
st599_uk

Sleeping bag

Post by st599_uk »

Hi all,

Looking for a decent sleeping bag that packs down small.

Probably only needed for Late Spring, Summer and Early Autumn - so 2/3 seasons.

Would a decent down bag pack down small? Are there any brands to look out for?

S
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
irc

Re: Sleeping bag

Post by irc »

Budget? For top end kit and high but value for the quality prices PHD designs. If you are much taller/shorter or thinner/fatter than average they do several lengths and widths. Worth watching for their sales a couple of time a year. Gets prices down a bit. I have 2 PHD bags and can't fault them. Look online for other independent reviews.

Lower budget Alpkit are worth a look. Not always everything in stock but have a good reputation for value for money. As long as you fit a standard bag. Many bags aren't wide or long enough for me.

The Pipedream 400 would be a true 3 season bag good for down to freezing at £215.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/pipedream-400#features

The Pipedream 200 looks like only a summer bag to me. 200g of down filling so half that of the 400. Also the 200 has stitch-thru baffle construction rather than box baffles. So the +7 rating is probably accurate. Bearing in mind there was frost this week near sea level in central Scotland. It's really a June July August bag.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I like the look of the Sea to Summit Explore as a purchase for my next bag. I’m getting more and more annoyed with mummy bags that don’t let me move my legs...
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’ve got the thermarest quilt. So pleased to get my bag, tent and mat into about 2/3 of a pannier.
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ilt-p11278
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Many thanks for all the replies.

Looking at the links, I'm thinking somewhere up to £200 would be my limit.

The Alpkit stuff looks good, as do some of the Big Agnes and OMM ones on the sites linked.

As an ex-prop, I'll try and go to some places where they can be tried out for size.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

PS Would i be correct in assuming that a 4 season sleeping bag rated to -5C, would be a bit warm in it was 15C during the summer?
A novice learning...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

st599_uk wrote:PS Would i be correct in assuming that a 4 season sleeping bag rated to -5C, would be a bit warm in it was 15C during the summer?

What do you mean by "rating" here (and, while we're at it, "4 season")?

See https://www.getoutwiththekids.co.uk/camping/camping-tips/sleeping-bag-temperature-ratings/ for some further explanation of the various ratings out there.

You can make a warmer bag useful for warmer temperatures by unzipping it and/or using it like a quilt, but if it's 15 C overnight then you'd probably be fine in a lightweight liner and don't bother with the pit at all.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
irc

Post by irc »

st599_uk wrote:PS Would i be correct in assuming that a 4 season sleeping bag rated to -5C, would be a bit warm in it was 15C during the summer?

As Pete says it depends. Bags are often given two ratings. Comfort and extreme. But in any case any genuine 4 seasos bag will be too warm at 15c

I,be toured with my Minim 200 bag in overnight temps varying from 25c to below 0c.

That involves lying on top of the bag with just pants on and still being too warm at one extreme to wearing fleece trousers, cashmere jersey and woolly hat and the bag drawn up tight round my face at the other.

In-between I might regulate my comfort by having my arms in or out the bag. Or having the bag over me as a quilt.

Looking at down bags I believe you want a filling of 300 to 400g of decent quality down for a bag that will cover most conditions short of full on winter well below freezing every night.

But it depends if you are a warm or cold sleeper as well.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

st599_uk wrote:Hi all,

S

Can I ask where you are st599?
Sweep
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Sweep wrote:

S

Based in UK, but travel an awful lot for work. Normally try and tag a trip on at the end.

Last time camping was Zambia, but have plans for S. France and Germany this year, possibly Japan next year.
A novice learning...
Gontlib

Post by Gontlib »

I use this in late Spring and Summer in Europe. Packs very small. Comfort rating 7C
https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/travelpak-1.
Currently around £30-35 on Amazon.
There's also the Travalpak-2, which is their two season bag but I've no experience of it
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

st599_uk wrote:
Sweep wrote:

S

Based in UK, but travel an awful lot for work. Normally try and tag a trip on at the end.

Last time camping was Zambia, but have plans for S. France and Germany this year, possibly Japan next year.

I meant where in the uk.
Sweep
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Near London. THink I'll head in and visit a few shops.
A novice learning...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ok. If more northerly, like lancs/yorks i could have suggested a couple of places to check out.
Sweep