"Hit and run" or attempted murder?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: "Hit and run" or attempted murder?

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:Horrific. But - surely the registration number of this car is clearly visible in the video? I had no difficulty freeze-framing and reading it. It's
TF07 JKS
(I checked this out on the check tax site, and it does match - a black BMW.)

Unless the car was stolen at the time, the driver should be traceable.
A charge of Dangerous Driving would be the least of their worries.

It would seem either the powers that be aren't bothered enough to do anything about it,the driver and car are proving hard to trace.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's now been picked up by the BBC and it's reported that the police have written to the registered keeper.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48146525
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

some one drinving too fast for a tight corner so straying on the other side of the road? I hope they get thim/her
unfortunatley that happens too often in London. many would be boy racers with too much money & fast cars.
Last edited by mercalia on 3 May 2019, 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:It's now been picked up by the BBC and it's reported that the police have written to the registered keeper.

The police will no doubt will be anxiously awaiting the return letter :roll:
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:It's now been picked up by the BBC and it's reported that the police have written to the registered keeper.

The police will no doubt will be anxiously awaiting the return letter :roll:

well it is now in the public domain so they wont be able to drag their feet?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sending a requirement for the keeper to identify the driver is normal and reasonable for things like speed camera offences.

In this case, it's reported that the casualty was invited to obtain CCTV footage and when he did, the letter was sent. Some years ago, it was widely reported that investigation of crashes would concentrate on KSI (killed/seriously injured.) I've pointed out before that serious injury is increasingly interpreted as potentially fatal. Perhaps we are edging towards "has received the last rites" or "next of kin have been approached about organ donation."

More to this than meets the eye or perhaps a one-off? Within the last few days:-

Possible hit-and-run driver found after mum turns detective
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-48095667
===========================================================================

PS There are other issues here, the most obvious to me - although I didn't think of mentioning sooner - is the effect of the publicity. On the apparently rare occasions when the police act of headcam evidence - they rightly say it should not be published on social media. It can alert the suspect and may affect the possibility of a fair trial. In a more general sense, in a case like the current one it can confirm to the baddies that the authorities are not bothered. Or perhaps some searching questions will be asked about what on earth is going on. Or not.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bonefishblues wrote:Things have moved on

http://news.met.police.uk/news/man-char ... ane-368195

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. :D

I'm left wondering what would have happened if the casualty had not secured the CCTV evidence himself and the clip had not been publicised eg on the BBC www. I'm surprised that this hasn't attracted more attention on here. :? It seems typical of the way things are going - and I can only see things sinking further. You ain't seen nothing yet. :(
toontra

Post by toontra »

thirdcrank wrote:I'm left wondering what would have happened if the casualty had not secured the CCTV evidence himself and the clip had not been publicised eg on the BBC www.

I think we all know the answer to that, sadly.

This echoes my experience of the Met precisely. I was knocked off in a hit and run and they did absolutely nothing (including not collecting CCTV). I had to queue for over an hour in a local nick (still shaking and traumatised from the incident) to just give a statement (they refused to attend the scene of the accident when I phoned them), and subsequently missed every one of their own "deadlines" for notifying me of "progress" with their "investigations". They dropped the case shortly after (without informing me), despite me having a witness who was credible enough to make a successful insurance claim against the driver.
Last edited by toontra on 7 May 2019, 9:38am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Things have moved on

http://news.met.police.uk/news/man-char ... ane-368195

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. :D

I'm left wondering what would have happened if the casualty had not secured the CCTV evidence himself and the clip had not been publicised eg on the BBC www. I'm surprised that this hasn't attracted more attention on here. :? It seems typical of the way things are going - and I can only see things sinking further. You ain't seen nothing yet. :(

Yes thanks to Boney.
Iagree that things have sunk to a low ebb when a victim needs to find his own evidence for such a crime as this :twisted:
I'm also wondering why it shows a police motorcyclist in Boney's link,when police did sweet FA but look at the video evidence hunted down and supplied by the victims family then run the computer to find the vehicle owner and driver :twisted:
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

If someone got shot, survived, the gun was left at the scene and traced, would the police just write to the registered keeper?
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

I'm afraid this is a sign of the times. I witnessed a teenager being attacked in the public park here last year. The attackers had her on the ground and gave her a severe kicking before I and my fitness instructor could intervene. She was only 16 and was attacked by a group of English youths simply because she was eastern European. The police refused to attend despite the fact we had to call an ambulance for her and she and her friends were able to identify her attackers, the reason given being that there was no knife involved. The ambulance crew said they would try the police on duty at the hospital but didn't think they would be interested. Apparently nowadays you can kick a person half to death and that's okay. I know the police are overstretched, but what message does this lack of response give to today's youngsters? And what chance then of the police being interested in a cyclist being injured by a car driver?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

AMMoffat wrote:I'm afraid this is a sign of the times. I witnessed a teenager being attacked in the public park here last year. The attackers had her on the ground and gave her a severe kicking before I and my fitness instructor could intervene. She was only 16 and was attacked by a group of English youths simply because she was eastern European. The police refused to attend despite the fact we had to call an ambulance for her and she and her friends were able to identify her attackers, the reason given being that there was no knife involved. The ambulance crew said they would try the police on duty at the hospital but didn't think they would be interested. Apparently nowadays you can kick a person half to death and that's okay. I know the police are overstretched, but what message does this lack of response give to today's youngsters? And what chance then of the police being interested in a cyclist being injured by a car driver?

Sadly, if a parent accidently hurt a child such as tugging its arm whilst walking, the hospital would notify the authorities and th child would be in care before they day was out. This happened to a friend. It was months before it could be sorted in court. The damage will last for ever.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Because it happened to a friend doesn't mean that is the general policy.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote:Because it happened to a friend doesn't mean that is the general policy.

True, but there is a general policy to report injuries. I accept that this is right and proper. What I am saying is that it is a pity that this does no seem to matter in other cases of injury.
John