BINO: Bypasses In Name Only

thirdcrank

Re: BINO: Bypasses In Name Only

Post by thirdcrank »

One example from countless and which has been discussed before.

When 20mph limits were first authorised, it was on the basis that they had to be "self-enforcing." That's code for traffic-calming. It must have passed unnoticed because it caused some shock-horror responses when it was "revealed" at the All-Party Cycling Charade.

viewtopic.php?p=639942#p639942

What's best: humps, bumps and chicanes or cameras? The cost of cameras could be slashed if their presence did not have to be advertised.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The functions of humps and cameras are different though overlapping.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I've no problem with bumps when they're built properly sinusoidal and aren't crash hazards for bikes travelling at clearly much below the posted speed limit (which doesn't apply to them anyway).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:One example from countless and which has been discussed before.

When 20mph limits were first authorised, it was on the basis that they had to be "self-enforcing." That's code for traffic-calming. It must have passed unnoticed because it caused some shock-horror responses when it was "revealed" at the All-Party Cycling Charade.

viewtopic.php?p=639942#p639942

What's best: humps, bumps and chicanes or cameras? The cost of cameras could be slashed if their presence did not have to be advertised.

If people don't know they're there they won't have any deterrent effect. The idea of cameras is, or should be , to stop drivers speeding not collect revenue.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:
If people don't know they're there they won't have any deterrent effect. The idea of cameras is, or should be , to stop drivers speeding not collect revenue.

That's true, but if drivers know that if they can see no camera then they are free to speed, won't they do so? If there might be a camera then they would be deterred even when there was no danger of being pinched.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

That's true, but if drivers know that if they can see no camera then they are free to speed, won't they do so? If there might be a camera then they would be deterred even when there was no danger of being pinched.

The implication in the post I was replying to was that revenue collection would be higher if the cameras were not advertised.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:
The implication in the post I was replying to was that revenue collection would be higher if the cameras were not advertised.

Oh. I see. Revenue might well be higher as a by-product of better deterrence.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

No the implication was that without the cameras being advertised more people would speed hence more money raised. I think the point is drivers are less likely to speed when they know cameras are there rather than there being a chance there might be.
pwa

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote:

Bumps or chicanes are better than cameras in 20mph zones because they can be deployed more densely and once installed require little or no maintenance for years to come.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

pete75 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

No the implication was that without the cameras being advertised more people would speed hence more money raised. I think the point is drivers are less likely to speed when they know cameras are there rather than there being a chance there might be.

I'm not sure if that was Third Crank's meaning. I reckon we need to wait for clarification on that. He (or she) could have meant, for instance, that costs would be lower because with the possibility of cameras being anywhere, a smaller number is actually needed - you can't see them, but they could be there.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pete75 wrote: ... If people don't know they're there they won't have any deterrent effect. The idea of cameras is, or should be , to stop drivers speeding not collect revenue.

Ideally, people would drive carefully and considerately of their own volition, but many don't so we have regulations, which some people ignore, so the regulations need to be enforced, but we've reached a point where they are increasingly ignored and unenforced.

My basic feeling is that if they think they can get away with things some people will try it on but that number falls if they anticipate enforcement. IMO, we should scrap the concept that every enforcement camera must be advertised. (IIRC this was a Tony Blair idea to try to avoid upsetting the more vociferous drivers.)

As an example of what I'm getting at, the Leeds South Eastern Urban Motorway was built to standards which assume 50 mph max. In its early days, it was constantly policed and enforced and now it isn't, even though traffic is much heavier. There are roadworks at present with a 40mph limit. Bright yellow average speed cameras have been installed temporarily and at one point there were signs saying they were not in use. IMO absurd.

The fallback position should be an awareness that cameras are widely used and any contraventions - not only speeding - risk automatic enforcement. That's the deterrent. It's unlikely to happen.

The money has to come from somewhere and the penalties are as good a source as any.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Pray tell why a bypass needs to involve blocking the original route. Surely that's re routing? A bypass is a route that goes around something not through it. Status of the original is irrelevant.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

The idea of cameras is to catch people. Word gets out and is a deterant. Unmarked cameras are great in theory. They bring in more revenue which could pay for more enforcement which is the only way to prevent road crime.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

thirdcrank wrote:Purely subjective, but I fancy that in many of the market towns bypassed on the A1 and other main roads, the local traffic is now heavier than the through traffic was when they were by-passed. That's especially so if you include late evenings.
Certainly true round here!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattsccm wrote:Pray tell why a bypass needs to involve blocking the original route. Surely that's re routing? A bypass is a route that goes around something not through it. Status of the original is irrelevant.

A bypass is a rerouting. An alternative route added to an unchanged one is a relief road, but UK politicians call them bypasses fraudulently because that's easier to get support for.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.