Aldi Bike Gear on Sale Thurs 9th May 2019

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pyruse

Re: Aldi Bike Gear on Sale Thurs 9th May 2019

Post by pyruse »

rotavator wrote:Any views on the folding electric bike for £499.99?

Lights the blue touch paper and stands well back!

There is a review here:
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... ke-review/
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

pyruse wrote:
rotavator wrote:Any views on the folding electric bike for £499.99?

Lights the blue touch paper and stands well back!

There is a review here:
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... ke-review/

That looks like a different bike to the one in the magazine. The picture in Aldi's magazine shows a straight "frame member" connecting the steerer tube to the seat tube whereas the Bike Radar review shows a bike with a very curved frame member. Sorry I am not sure of the terminology for bike part apart from those for a diamond frame.

Anyhow, apparently it is sold out already.https://www.aldi.co.uk/black-hybrid-electric-bike/p/013291271176200
mjr

Post by mjr »

honesty wrote:but was thinking of getting a set she can take off separately for our camping holiday in a few weeks as the Basils are joined across the top and don’t come off the bike easily. Didn’t want to spend a lot of money for something that may not have worked out. Oh well.

Put stuff in big dry bags, lift them out and leave the panniers on? Even the much vaunted ortleib QL don't fix as securely as good doubles.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:
honesty wrote:Poop. Was hoping for some cheap panniers as I missed the Lidl ones a few weeks ago.

You've had a close escape honesty - I wouldn't recommend any panniers from Lidl or Aldi. Leaving aside the quality of the construction of the body of the panniers the fixing systems are likely to be shoddy.

Surprised you need such things - had the idea that you were a long time cyclist.

You'd be far better off buying some quality second hand ones on here even if they need minor repairs. With a quality base you can repair for years and years. And the Lidl and Aldi efforts will be long time landfill.

2011 my son bought some Lidl panniers £11.99 the pair. Looked almost identical to Ortlieb back rollers though made in Austria not Germany. At the York Rally that year we were camped near someone who'd just bought a pair of Ortlieb in the same colour, red. We compared them. The Ortlieb fittings were better allowing for a wider range of adjustment but there seemed little difference in the quality of the actual panniers themselves. They're still going strong after eight years and are still waterproof.
Lidl don't do that type of pannier anymore which is a shame as they don't seem much different to Ortlieb quality wise apart from the fittings which could be easily and cheaply changed if you so desired. Ok they may not be as tough and durable as Carradice Super C but they seem comparable to most other welded plastic type panniers.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Fair dos pete but I don't think the fittings are that cheap.

I recently got a pair of second hand ortliebs for £30 - good as new functionally.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'll be a bit surprised if Giant/Liv are OK with Aldi using a new "Liv all" brand!

Pump's only rated to 80psi (why put a 120psi gauge on it?) so no good for narrow high-pressure tyres common in the UK and probably a bit of a dog to use above 60psi.

Their CO2 inflator "will inflate flat tyres in minutes" it says. What's wrong with it?

Good price on GT85 again, the bags and gloves look worth a prod, and maybe the "U-shape lock" if you want a cheap slightly-better-than-a-cable one rather than top security, but that's about it IMO. Better than sometimes, but not the best.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Was intrigued by the "merino" tops.

Seemed suspicously cheap, since even their good value merino base layers were around £15.

Only available online it said as if I would buy something like that online - all already sold out it seems - I can see a lot of them being sold on.
Sweep
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

[/quote]
2011 my son bought some Lidl panniers £11.99 the pair. Looked almost identical to Ortlieb back rollers though made in Austria not Germany. At the York Rally that year we were camped near someone who'd just bought a pair of Ortlieb in the same colour, red. We compared them. The Ortlieb fittings were better allowing for a wider range of adjustment but there seemed little difference in the quality of the actual panniers themselves. They're still going strong after eight years and are still waterproof.
Lidl don't do that type of pannier anymore which is a shame as they don't seem much different to Ortlieb quality wise apart from the fittings which could be easily and cheaply changed if you so desired. Ok they may not be as tough and durable as Carradice Super C but they seem comparable to most other welded plastic type panniers.[/quote]

Yes I have some of those Ortileb copy Lidl ones as well and much to my surprise they have been very good. No zips to fail that is the thing, but with the welded seams and roll over tops completely waterproof.

From 2011? I new I had been using them for a number of years but surprising that they have lasted so long, red and black with round high viz patches are the ones I got.

I did modify the rack top clips mind you by drilling them at the bottom and fitting a small bolt through to make them more secure from rough roads.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:Was intrigued by the "merino" tops.

Seemed suspicously cheap, since even their good value merino base layers were around £15.

Only 50% merino only in the shell upper face with 100% polyester shell bottom and shell part back, in the one I clicked on, unlike some of their previous 100% merino base layers. Doesn't say whether it's mulesed, either, so it probably is. :(
SpaceCaptainTheodore

Post by SpaceCaptainTheodore »

The Merino jerseys are heavily discounted leftovers from the Autumn promotion. I have two and rate them, the lining is like a helley Hansen baselayer and shifts sweat off your body and into the Merino blend outer dead rapid. I only wash one when I can no longer remember how long I've been using it.

Quite a relaxed cut, good for lower intensity run outs and cooler months with layers.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

mjr wrote:I'll be a bit surprised if Giant/Liv are OK with Aldi using a new "Liv all" brand!

Pump's only rated to 80psi (why put a 120psi gauge on it?) so no good for narrow high-pressure tyres common in the UK and probably a bit of a dog to use above 60psi.

Their CO2 inflator "will inflate flat tyres in minutes" it says. What's wrong with it?

Good price on GT85 again, the bags and gloves look worth a prod, and maybe the "U-shape lock" if you want a cheap slightly-better-than-a-cable one rather than top security, but that's about it IMO. Better than sometimes, but not the best.
I'm sure Livall the German electronics brand will be okay with it.

Their helmet is also sold by the likes of Rose.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
westview

Post by westview »

i use a very similar 'Folding Wall storage rack' to do some maintenance works on my bikes as i don't have a 'proper' work stand. i find it to be pretty handy tbh. got to be worth a punt at £7.99 to save some backache if you are short of space and on a budget?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Bought a can of GT85, it has its uses and the can of WD-40 I have is almost out.

Took a look at the pump and the D-lock, passed on both only as I don't have an immediate need for either. D-lock doesn't have much weight to it.

May reconsider if there are any left in a couple of weeks time and the price has dropped.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade