Danny Baker

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Danny Baker

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
merseymouth

Re: Danny Baker

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, I recall PG Wodehouse saying that "All babies resemble poached eggs"! He would be in real trouble in these sensitive times.
But the obsession of the media over "Royal Babies" get my blood pressure up off the scale. I don't do with going ga ga over little blobs, yes my daughter knows that's how I saw her! :roll:
I also don't ascribe to the besotted grand-parent lark, bragging about something they had little to do with!
But when papers like the Daily Torygraph waste the first 3 full pages of today's issue on pointless photos, but also creates "Special PullOut", 8 pages, my stomach is uncomfortable.
The Yanks will love it all, yuk. TTFN MM
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Engaged his gob before his brain. Only got himself to name.

Fair play to the daily Star for once (at least they admit to being a comic)
https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/da ... try_recirc
Last edited by iandriver on 9 May 2019, 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iandriver wrote:Engaged his gob before his brain. Only got himself to name.

Another idiot then?
W H Auden
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

reohn2 wrote:

Another idiot then?

He's the sort of character who makes his living sailing close to the wind. Accident waiting to happen.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iandriver wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Another idiot then?

He's the sort of character who makes his living sailing close to the wind. Accident waiting to happen.

TBH I don't know much about him other than he's DJ.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

He's left his BBC post 3 times due to various issues. Not is first and will probably be back at the beeb shortly.
mjr

Post by mjr »

iandriver wrote:Engaged his gob before his brain.

Repeatedly. In the BBC report above, and on Twitter, he still defends the picture as "funny" and "a gag" even after told about the very nasty implication, so it's probably the right decision to fire him from a national network. Probably someone will hire a presenter with outdated never-mind-the-hate-when-it's-funny views - Amazon Prime again, perhaps?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Another idiot then?

TBH I don't know much about him other than he's DJ.

He's a very good radio presenter. Idiosyncratic and instinctive, and has remarkable empathy with callers. I think that he is one of those 'is what he is' characters who made a daft mistake, but who also got pounced on by the BBC, which is running scared at the moment.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

BBC officials running scared. That's all it is.

Danny Baker has won many best presenter awards in the trade group for radio. Plus his radio shows also win awards. He's also in a radio hall of fame list I heard. Overall a talented presenter, writer, scriptwriter and columnist. He's written for TV and radio. Written a TV series on BBC and is numerous writing credits over a long period of time.

He's been sacked by the BBC twice for things he's b said and resigned over poor treatment by the management of the BBC. He always gets asked back. Why? He sells the radio time slot he's given. Money talks and the BBC is about money a much as any private broadcaster.

I don't listen to him but I hope he's back very soon.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My impression is that he sees himself as an expert on soccer, somebody tuned in to the views and feeling of poorly-treated supporters everywhere, but especially the diehard loyal supporters of teams outside the top few positions in the Premier League. He used to do an occasional column in the Times - the Two Dannies - I cannot remember who the other Danny was. He used to have a lot to say about the former chairman of Chelsea, Ken Bates, and when Bates sold that club and bought Leeds United, he was full of sympathy for Leeds loiners. This dates me. :oops:

Anyway, any background in soccer should alert people to the connotations of chimps etc.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Danny Kelly, was it not?