BB Tool - Which one? BBT-22 or BBT-32

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
maxglide

BB Tool - Which one? BBT-22 or BBT-32

Post by maxglide »

I need a BB tool and the Park Tool looks good. Which of the two are preferable, the BBT-22 or BBT-32?
It appears the larger BBT-22 might be easier to work with (?)
AndyK

Re: BB Tool - Which one? BBT-22 or BBT-32

Post by AndyK »

The BBT-22 allows you to use a 3/8" ratchet arm with it, which is very useful if you have such a thing: it allows you to get good leverage to undo a tight BB without slipping off the tool as spanners sometimes do.

[Amended 'cos I got them the wrong way round! :oops: ]
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

PS Neither is a patch on the TacX T4415, which will get even the most stubborn cup undone, but sadly that's no longer made. There are a few still around though.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the 3/8" drive fitting on BBT-22 is mostly useful if you use a torque wrench during installation; it isn't really man enough for removing tight BB units. For high torque values you will be using the 32mm drive hexagon on the tool(s) anyway, so there isn't a big difference here.

However you may find one or the other easier to bolt onto the BB spindle so that it doesn't slip off; with BBT-22 you need the pedros tool (or similar) but with BBT-32 you just need a big penny washer between ~28 and 32mm OD; this can be used with a crank bolt to secure the tool.

There is a significant difference in how much of a cam-out load the tool sees; if you use the 3/8" drive square or the smaller end hexagon on BBT-22, the thrust is a long way offset from the spline, so the tool is trying to cam out. With BBT-32 the offset is much less so a single-sided drive tool isn't so likely to cause cam-out. BBT-32 is also a fairly faithful copy of the shimano tool, so it is arguably more likely to fit any future variants of shimano BB units.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Brucey wrote:the 3/8" drive fitting on BBT-22 is mostly useful if you use a torque wrench during installation; it isn't really man enough for removing tight BB units.

I've found long-ratchet-arm (not the torque wrench) plus BBT-22 to be much more effective than spanner + BBT-32 on tight cups, and I've used both combinations on a lot of bikes in the workshop. I find it easier to press on it to hold it in place against the BB while turning the arm. I only use a retaining bolt in extremis. But each to their own.

Agreed that using a retaining bolt is the most secure way, though, which is why I'm so enamoured of my Tacx tool - the retaining bolt is built in and spring-loaded.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the problem is the 3/8" drive itself; most 3/8" drive tools are not rated much above 200ftlbs because a 3/8" drive square just shears off wholesale. I've put two or three times that much into a shimano BB tool, but I used a 3/4" drive socket on the tool to do it.

cheers
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Brucey wrote:the problem is the 3/8" drive itself; most 3/8" drive tools are not rated much above 200ftlbs because a 3/8" drive square just shears off wholesale. I've put two or three times that much into a shimano BB tool, but I used a 3/4" drive socket on the tool to do it.

cheers

Presumably you're only talking there about removing the BB, not installing it?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mikeymo wrote:
Presumably you're only talking there about removing the BB....

oh yes!