Ankle Replacement recovery

CAM

Ankle Replacement recovery

Post by CAM »

Has anyone experience of recovering from total ankle replacement and ankle ligament reconstruction, and in particular returning to cycling and timescales / distances.
I'm expecting to be able to begin cycling gently on a turbo trainer from about 13 weeks post-op (4 weeks from now), and not sure how long before I'll be able to get out properly. In an aircast boot currently, and physio starts next week.
I was reasonably fit prior to the operation, so am not worried about regaining fitness, but more concerned about rebuilding strength through and around the ankle.
Probably need to manage my expectations a bit, but it would be nice to go touring again mid-late summer. Is this unrealistic ?
Lance Dopestrong

Re: Ankle Replacement recovery

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Forgive me being nosey, do you mean as in having an artificial joint fitted?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
CAM

Post by CAM »

Yes - both bottom of tibia and top of talus replaced with metal implants, then a muscular component inserted between.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I'm not sure what your expectations are regarding full blown touring but I would have thought it a bit unrealistic to by able to be back to what you were doing before with no consequences (I speak having just had a knee replacement).
The advice you get from the physio about using any kind of static bike is about getting the range of movement back into the joint and not about getting back to fitness. The surgery you've had is pretty traumatic to the body so even if you were very fit before you are going to have to accept your fitness will suffer. Recovery involves reaching certain points then plateauing for a while before the next point is reached. This is something you shouldn't attempt to speed up unless you have sound medical knowledge behind you.
If your surgery involved the reattachment of ligaments you could severely compromise recovery by overdoing things. Don't risk this.
If I were you I wouldn't be making plans for any tours this year but when you get to the point of being able to get out, go for day rides or maybe a ride followed by an overnight camp then a cycle home. All being well this should stand you in good stead to be touring with a bit more confidence next year.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
CAM

Post by CAM »

Thank you Bogmyrtle - that is probably sound advice, and although its not what I want to hear, I’m listening.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I didn't even know they could do that - I have two dodgy ankles & I'd love a Ti set.

No particular advice to give other than don't hurry it. Weeks stolen here could mean years of pain later on.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
sopsophia

Post by sopsophia »

Audax67 wrote:I didn't even know they could do that - I have two dodgy ankles & I'd love a Ti set.

No particular advice to give other than don't hurry it. Weeks stolen here could mean years of pain later on.

Yes, the process of recovering from this type of surgery is lengthy. Physiotherapy and the like used in the recovery process can only speed up the recovery process if it provides strong conditions for recovery, but do not have too high expectations. After the previous knee surgery, in addition to using the normal recovery method, the doctor suggested that I use a cold water therapy machine to relieve pain and speed up recovery. I did that, and it really made me feel better.