Royston Woods - A Safer Way - Who has actually done it ?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
thegreatpan

Re: Royston Woods - A Safer Way - Who has actually done it ?

Post by thegreatpan »

I regrettably had to bail from my JOGLE attempt due to an injury combined with adverse weather in the Cairngorms, I was only two days into it, the Berriedale Braes were the only significant climbs that I did. The A9 started to get busy at Golspie, so I guess the comments about this earlier in this thread are about spot on.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sorry to hear it.
Hope the injury isn't too serious.
The weather recently has been awful.
Been to Halfords to get some overshoes!!

Cheers James
mkbutters

Post by mkbutters »

Just make sure you avoid the A9 .... go via Crask Inn / Bettyhill etc
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Hello All,

Some great comments on the LEJOG route, i recently purchased Royston Wood's book 'End to End cycle route - the safe way which was really interesting, although Mike Butters suggests going for a flatter route and cuts out the A9 northerly section and goes through the middle up through Sutherland.
Presently, a Pal and i are trying to organise an unsupported charity ride starting in John o Groats to Lands End (JOGLE) in late Sept / early Oct this year. This would avoid summer holiday traffic and still taking advantage of the late summer weather & light. The Plan is to do it in 9/10 days from end to end with pre-booked accommodation. Any info on this particular route welcome and appreciated. If anyone also has files for download onto a Gamin Edge 520 that would be great using Mike's route. We like the idea keeping away from busy roads and taking the safer option, clearly this wont be the fastest option but we don't mind spending 9 hours on the saddle to keep the mileage up.
The bikes will be kitted out with the appropriate touring tyres and panniers for the trip. A brooks B17 touring saddle was also recommended which i am going to buy soon. Also very aware that we have to travel as light as possible.

Any details of the JOGLE route appreciated
Thanks Andy Mackay
pwa

Post by pwa »

Andy Mac wrote: 4 Mar 2024, 2:40pm Hello All,

Some great comments on the LEJOG route, i recently purchased Royston Wood's book 'End to End cycle route - the safe way which was really interesting, although Mike Butters suggests going for a flatter route and cuts out the A9 northerly section and goes through the middle up through Sutherland.
Presently, a Pal and i are trying to organise an unsupported charity ride starting in John o Groats to Lands End (JOGLE) in late Sept / early Oct this year. This would avoid summer holiday traffic and still taking advantage of the late summer weather & light. The Plan is to do it in 9/10 days from end to end with pre-booked accommodation. Any info on this particular route welcome and appreciated. If anyone also has files for download onto a Gamin Edge 520 that would be great using Mike's route. We like the idea keeping away from busy roads and taking the safer option, clearly this wont be the fastest option but we don't mind spending 9 hours on the saddle to keep the mileage up.
The bikes will be kitted out with the appropriate touring tyres and panniers for the trip. A brooks B17 touring saddle was also recommended which i am going to buy soon. Also very aware that we have to travel as light as possible.

Any details of the JOGLE route appreciated
Thanks Andy Mackay
You will want to get a few hundred miles into that saddle to get it up to max comfort for the big ride. So allow time for that.